Show us your rack! (No not that one!)

LOL That sounds familiar ! I keep hoarding those vintage macs for my refitting with new hardware projects. "This one really was a bargain honey I could not, not buy it" :rofl:

I'm rocking the wannabe rack setup in the fusebox. Keeping it low on the power consumption. At least for my standards.

2 Likes

Nice, I see you’ve got some of the newer HP MicroServer’s. :+1:

Yes indeed. Although "new". We are getting old. These are Gen8 micro's. bought it back in 2013/14 never failed on me yet. Refitted it last year . Added a new xeon, a proper hardware RAID controller and some new SAS drives it's performing very well for the standard plex, backups, timemachine, docker jadie jadie tasks. I actually bought the top one in auction 6 months ago in the hospital next to my wife while she was in labor. :innocent:

3 Likes

Nice, my original N36L is my backup server with just an SSD in the ODD and 8GB of ECC ram (plus storage array).

My main N40L also has a HP p410 HW raid controller with 512mb BBWC, an icy dock dual 2.5” HDD bay plus laptop optical drive and an Intel dual GigE Nic.

The n36l was bought brand new back in iirc 2010. HP offered staff, of the company I worked for, them for $199 aud and it was too good a deal to pass up.

1 Like

Damned thats a good deal indeed. Does it have an ILO ? I do like that in the gen8 micro's.
I rolled with the build in fake raid controller for the first few years. But that started biting me in the ■■■ when time went on. And to get the SSD in de ODD to boot I had to use a USB stick with the /boot on it. Not ideal lol. ended up buying the p222 controller with 1G BBWC for 30$ last year. Dirt cheap if you ask me.

1 Like

No that’s the one downside to the Gen 7’s. The iLO option wasted a PCIe slot and wasn’t very good generally. It’s not really an issue for me as I run Open Media Vault which is very stable and reliable.

I use OMV software raid 0+1 on my backup unit, the built in raid is just a CPU hog and worse than good software raid.

you guys made me spend for two racks a 18u and a 25u so i can get all my net equipment in one and my two dell r900 4u, boat anchor servers in the other..

got this rack refurbished for 477.. hopefully it ships.. but will have to leave the glass door off as the dells suck a lot of air from the front..

couldn't pass up such a good price.

this for the network stuff ..

work in progress.

1 Like

That looks a lot like my tripplite rack (Got is for $50.00 from a local office closing and triplite even sent me a key!)

https://www.tripplite.com/25u-smartrack-standard-depth-server-rack-enclosure-cabinet-doors-side-panels~sr25ub

2 Likes

I thought I would jump back into this conversation in light of recent events.

My USG recently started acting up. I'm going to be switching to a UDM SE. Which means I'll need a rack. Wife is insisting it be attractive. I'm going to be throwing full Unifi patch and OCD panels in the mix so the aesthetic will be spot on from a tech standpoint but she wants better. Are there any "home decor" racks? Like cabinets that are hardwood with a door?

Some of the Audio 19" racks look quite nice and being made from wood panels means they dont act like Faraday cages. I'd assume something like this would be available in Murica too:

1 Like

Unifi’s toolless rack doesn’t look that bad and what I ended up going with. I liked that it has large casters and short since mine is installed under my front staircase. But this said it’s not universal with other brands of components for example my APC UPS doesn’t bolt into the rack it’s just resting on one of the brackets at the bottom.

1 Like

That is way too much for a rack that size... You can get a 7u frame rack for 70 bux and drill for casters

2 Likes

Like the first picture posted, the area, my area is a difficult to access near the ceiling space.
I've been putting off working on making it neater in the hopes I would figure out some magic solution to lower it when working on it, and raise it back up when done. I'm a bit surprised there is no commercial product for this...has anyone done anything creative to solve this issue?

Since I'm finally building out the server room/work shop I ended up putting a few 20 amp individual circuits in just to plug the UPS's in to because the draw of firing up the rack is so high... :rofl:

2 Likes

I feel like an era is closing. My original set up was very well received here. But alas the switch to a UDM Pro required a true rack.

Our house is 24 on center studs (yes, I know :rage:). So I had to modify the mounting point for this. Not bad for 80 bucks used.

5 Likes

What are you using two Hubitat Hubs for?

Currently I have the main one doing nearly everything and the second one is dedicated to LAN and cloud integrations.

I may be switching the second to share radio duties and relocating them to different areas of the house for better signal.

OMG Leviton SMC cabinets. I have two of the original metal ones. One in the house and the other in the barn/workshop.
Will the plastic ones work outside, ie waterproof? I live East of Dallas so it gets a little toasty during the summers.

For newcomers to using racks I would like to part a little knowledge. I've been doing racks for over 50 years now and have learned a few things.

1. Get a tall rack, then get it with a few more ru's height. No matter what you will always be a little short on height.
  2. Put anything that generates heat up at the top. It is pointless putting heat generators down low as all they do is heat your equipment through convection. The thought is because it is heavy put it on the bottom is not a good idea.
  3. If you must put you heat generators on the bottom then use laminar flow. Have your fans blow down not pull up. Two reasons for this. One you are no pulling the heat from the bottom through all your equipment and two and even more important is the top down flow does not pull dust etc up through your equipment. You will be surprised a how well this works. Trust me. Also, add filters to the air inlet spaces and change them periodically.
  4. Run your power cables up one side of your rack and your data cable up the other side. It will keep things nicely organized. I like to use cable duct instead of velcro ties, but that's just me.
  5. If you can mount your ups's outside you cabinet. I have mine outside and I run a BIG cord to my power bars.
  6. Run your racks off a separate breaker directly from your house breaker panel with a good heavy duty ground. Ground loops can be a big issue if you are not careful. They cause really strange problems and intermittences that are really a bear to troubleshoot, even in small installation.
    Hope you find this helpful and useful.
    Glenn...
9 Likes

Can you elaborate a little bit more on what you mean by ground loops?

I'm assuming you were just referring to the need to ground right at the source of power for that circuit and not just a suspect ground nearby that's convenient.