Show us your rack! (No not that one!)

It's the "Don't throw that out, I might need that some day!" award :smiley:

4 Likes

These are awesome. Where do you get them? Do they generate much heat or breathable for the devices you have in there?

These are Leviton Structured Media Cabinets. Legrand makes them too.

The shelf brackets and the saddle ties are worthwhile purchases and give a clean look, plus they're really easy to reposition if needed.

There's also a "security bracket" and "data bracket" I've purchased before, among many other options available. I didn't find all of them that useful the first time around, so opted for just stacking and strapping in heavier devices like the switch using saddle ties.

Heat wise, it's barely warm in the cabinet. The way the doors are designed, you get a constant upward draft from the rising heat. Even if you put them in-wall that will keep it relatively cool, but you'll get the best possible cooling by surface mounting. All of the punch-outs have a gap around them that helps to maximize upward airflow. I thought I would have needed a fan this summer, but there were no issues.

2 Likes

That's my CONBEE II controller for Home Assistant. The USB extender goes to the fan-less aluminum case that's on the top left of the smaller cabinet, housing a RPi 4 8GB. I'm using a High Endurance microSD and so far no issues, but I also do not push HA very hard. Most of my automation is handled by HE and the HA box is primarily for Xiaomi Zigbee devices, brought back to HE via Home Assistant Device bridge.

4 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: Very nice!

1 Like

Mine isn't too OCD-compliant, but it does the job. The Hubitat and Lutron hubs are elsewhere in the house to maximize radio coverage.

Equipment is a 24-port POE switch, a UDM Pro, power distribution (connected to the UPS below it), and a shelf and a drawer.

I also have RGB-W lights around the perimeter.

7 Likes

The LED behind the glass looks pretty nice!

2 Likes

Some white blanks in there would look awesome...

2 Likes

2 Likes

The purist post I have seen from you.... :wink:

3 Likes

Please don’t tempt him :face_with_peeking_eye:…

2 Likes

Thank You So Much GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

1 Like

I ordered three of those panels and I don't even have a rack to put them in. So pure, so beautiful. :wink:

4 Likes

Do you have a UPS in there? I think I'm going to go with a structured media center vs a data rack for my setup (would like to have something enclosed so visiting nieces/nephews don't mess with anything, but don't want to worry about signal loss with an enclosed data rack), but am wondering if I need to keep the UPS outside the structured media center so it doesn't add extra heat to the media center or reduce the longevity of the UPS? Definitely wouldn't be as clean of an install, having the power cords run out of the media center to the UPS, but might be necessary.

1 Like

Finally took a pic of my rack. The big/heavy stuff, NAS and UPS, sit in a cabinet below.

7 Likes

Gotta say, that is one of the best looking, for my money. Really sharp.

I wish we were doing this about 25 years ago and for our stereo racks, I would have kicked some serious butt in that category back then. Amps, pre-amps, tuners, dual tape decks, direct drive turntable w/fancy stylus I can't even remember, etc. Just sayin', I used to matter years ago. :wink:

6 Likes

Starlink, HTD, POE Switch, Ecoflow Delta 2 feeds rackmount UPS.

4 Likes

As @Ranchitat pointed out, yes I do. This one fits just fine with the door closed.

I'm amazed to see how neat and professionnal all your setup look. Maybe I should start a topic "show us your mess" so us guys with not so tidy setup could feel better knowing we are not alone.

10 Likes