Show us your rack! (No not that one!)

I see all these pretty racks, then a hub along with a dangle of wires. I figured this could help some people out with cleaning up their setups.

4 Likes

I like the idea of something like this one that can use keystone jacks and hold each unit... Unfortuneatly though I don't think the antenna strength of my HUE or Lutron would do well in the rack

3 Likes

Lines up well now. Switched model from draft to published.

8 Likes

Nice! :drooling_face:

I've found a black Sharpy does a surprisingly good job at painting screw heads.
But I'm sure you have a complete assortment of all colours in a cupboard somewhere. :wink:

1 Like

This one is going on my 3d printer enclosure so I don't mind them. I already use those m3 screws on everything.

1 Like

Racks are problematic with consumer sized devices and interfere with radio signals. I started using radio transparent cabinets in my old house and continued with them in my new home. Located in a corner of my garage that puts them just slightly off the center of my house.

Old setup with MacBook Pro

Upgraded with 2014 MacMini & 500 GB Samsung SSD

7 Likes

For those with your setups in the garage, what kind of temperatures do you get in there? I'm in California I'm pretty sure the heat would cause havoc for me.

They finally decided to start my new home build, there is no obvious location for equipment setup. So looking for a solution outside the box.

I'm in Houston, TX and it's not bad in there for equipment.

Yeah, why I was thinking of extensions to put antenna's on my rack but I would need to for my Hue Bridge and my Lutron bridge too

That looks so completely pro. Really impressive.

2 Likes

We got up to 90 Fahrenheit this summer and I had no problems. You get convection cooling with these cases if you surface mount.

1 Like

What's the little knob antenna looking thing on the upper left hand corner of the large enclosure?

@lewis.heidrick once again schools us all with his mad maker (fabricating, soldering, etc etc etc etc) skills...

{looks on with much envy, and realize am not worthy}

Here's mine in our basement.. with before and after goodness...

Before: :scream:

_PXL_20220707_095739954 (Small)

After: :sunglasses:

Had to place in some non-rackable stuff like my NAS and UPSs on a heavy duty shelf on the bottom. My C5 Zigbee & C7 Z-Wave hubs are on my main floor for better mesh propagation. The C5 hub in the "before" pic is for Cloud/Network Apps only so can live where ever which right now is on the top shelf of the rack. Anyway is a bit of an improvement..

10 Likes

That looks amazing compared to mine.

I'm still at everybody's "before" so will not be posting. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I may give it a shot - we consistently hovered around the 100 degree mark this year. With spikes in to the one teens. In the enclosed garage i imagine itll be a fair bit warmer. I may just cross the fingers and go for it..

Sounds like a reason to add more automation in the form of a sensor driven ventilation fan... :sunglasses:

6 Likes

OMG - twins! :wink: I was about to do an Amazon fan search.

2 Likes

Too many fanbois around here at the moment...

Sheesh...

:rofl:

(not projecting at all of course)

5 Likes

Similar.
Hubitat and SmartThings hubs are sitting on/beside an old DVD player in the A/V stand in the living room, hooked up to a D-Link switch which is just laying on a VCR.

Home Assistant is running on my NAS box, which is just sitting on the floor of my office.

I don't know what you won, but I'm pretty sure you just won.

2 Likes