SharpTools.io Dashboard and Rule Engine

I have a couple of quick and basic questions for you guys. I had never heard of SharpTools.io before the integration so have no prior knowledge of it. Seems like a bunch of people are liking it.

1. Does the dashboard run locally, or does it require an internet connection?
  2. It seems like it also has its own rule engine. Does the rule engine require an internet connection to run or configure?

SharpTools.io is a web based dashboard and Rule Engine and both features are cloud integrations. Once the web app is loaded, it runs completely in your browser, but it does rely on a cloud connection for sending commands and receiving event updates. If you are looking for a completely local dashboard, you might check out the built-in Hubitat dashboard which can run completely on your network.

The SharpTools Rule Engine requires an active internet connection to configure and the rules run in the SharpTools.io cloud - much like IFTTT or Stringify. Similar to above, Hubitat's built-in Rule Machine is a great solution if you need a completely local automation engine.

Thank you for your almost instant response! Yes, I am pretty happy with the built in Hubitat dashboard, was just curious. I have crazy slow DSL at my home, so try to go local wherever I can, but cloud dependent has it's place.

1 Like

Hey Josh, do you see that I have 3 separated tiles for arm away, arm home and disarm? Well, I know there is one tile for all the options, all in one, but,,,, yes, there is so many options, it will be nice to have an option to choose that to show clicking that tile, my wife will mess up clicking the wrong option, just letting you know, you been very communicative and remembered other features requests. :grin:

Thanks for the feedback! My apologies, but I'm not sure I understand the request.

There are currently two types of tiles for both HSM and Modes. There are the individual tiles and the 'picker' tiles. The individual tiles show the name of a single HSM Action or Mode and when clicked will activate that action/mode. If you apply coloring at the dashboard level or individual tile level, these will also highlight if their relevant HSM state or mode is active.

The picker tiles will display the currently active HSM State / Mode and when clicked will show a list of the modes you can pick from.

2018-08-23_16-09-53

Are you perhaps saying that you want a read-only version of one of those tile types?

I know you did not understand, sorry, I know it's my English. In your picture, you have the big tile with name Hubitat Safety Monitor, you click it and it will show about 7 options, it will be nice if I can hide some options in there, for example, I just want to have the 3 same options that you have separated but in one tile, this is just for convenience, just having one tile instead of 3 to arm home, arm away or disarm. Probably I'm asking too much, sorry, not my intention to bother you, I really like Sharptools, I just uninstalled smarttiles, still using other hub and actiontiles for my wife....

Ah, yes, that's clear to me now. Thanks for the picture! :smiley:

I've added it to the feature request list as an option to filter which HSM actions show up in the HSM Picker tiles.

2 Likes

@vjv @kilowatts

I chatted with the Fully Kiosk Developer, Alexey, and he is adding an option called 'Keep Screen On while in Fullscreen Mode' in the upcoming Fully Kiosk Browser 1.27 release which you can disable to get the screensaver to work when a dashboard is in fullscreen. :smiley:

I've tested a beta release of this and it seems to work well. Once Fully Kiosk Browser 1.27 is released, you'll find the new setting under 'Advanced Web Settings'

3 Likes

Hubitat Hub Update 1.1.3.116 is out and includes a patch to the SharpTools Hubitat App which should resolve the issue some of you were seeing when authorizing a large number of devices.

If you had trouble authorizing devices before, install the 116 release, try the authorization again, and let me know how it worked for you. :smiley:

Special thanks to @stephack (and of course the Hubitat team) for helping me narrow down the issue.

1 Like

Can confirm it's working with large amount of devices now.

2 Likes

I tried it and failed :disappointed:....and then.. realized that I forgot to update to the new firmware first..:blush:

3 Likes

So I updated the firmware and tried the select all from SharpTools. Everything seemed to add...no errors. However when I bring up the things list while editing a dashboard...it doesn't have my entire list of devices. When I check the list of shared devices in both the HE app and the sharptools web interface, I see all the devices checked for integration.

I tried to select all again with the logs open and noticed at the beginning it says
2018-08-24 20:30:29.758:debuggetDevices, params: [limit:25, start:50

So I decided to count the available devices...it added exactly 50 devices and then stopped (at devices beginning with "O")

There at least another 50 devices that are not being added.

Can you clarify what you mean by it stopped at devices beginning with "O" - you mean devices which start with the letter O in the name?

It should just keep looping through the 'pages' of devices as long as there are more reported remaining. I've authorized well over 50 so I wouldn't expect that to be the issue.

I'm putting my son to sleep now, but I can take a look at the server logs later this evening to see if I see anything out of the ordinary.

Yes. The logs show it subscribing/adding all the devices to sharptools but they aren't available to add to rules or the dashboards.

I'm about to watch a movie myself so I probably wont be able to test further till tomorrow afternoon (son's birthday party tomorrow)....so take your time.

Perhaps we can chat tomorrow or early next week?

From what I can tell, it looks like sometimes the query for the next page of devices is getting a 502 error which usually means the cloud relay isn't happy about something. I can add some exponential backoff retries as the error seem to be intermittent, but I'd also like to get to the bottom of why it's intermittently happening. :slight_smile:

Just installed it. Very neat!!

1 Like

I remember having this same issue way back with Actiontiles as well. I solved it by authorize devices within the ST apps and 30 devices at a time.

Any plans to add a pin-protect for individual tiles? I think it can be done for the whole dashboard, but I'm thinking of a way to protect only the garage door from curious young tile-pressers.

Yes. PIN protected tiles are tentatively planned for the next sprint.

2 Likes