Sensor that works unlike Zooz 4 in 1?

You mention that your Not particularity patient which I read as going to be your biggest challenge with any Zigbee and Zwave based home automation system. :blush:
You will need patience.

If you’ve not read the How to’s, I encourage you to do so .... How Too..

These little devices seem to have a mind of their own and “adapt and route” based on the electronic environment in which they’re installed with little regard to actual physical distance.
I’ve found that pairing a device to your hub should not immediately be followed by making it do something !
Go to the beach, go to the movies or leave the house for several hours just to let the device / mesh settle. :+1:t3:

I've got 4 of the zooz 4-in-1 sensors, and I don't appear to be having the trigger issues. If you're also asking for a recommendation for another sensor, I've been having good luck with the Inovelli sensor, although I only use it as a motion and temperature sensor at the moment.

For me, the zooz sensors seem to pick up motion when there isn't any, but my placement might be a result of that. I just don't use them for the home monitoring. I did end up sending one back (was defective out of the box), and they gave me a warranty replacement. My brother had a similar issue with his (from the same order) and also replaced his. He's also a fan of the Smartthings sensors, but it might be 2 years before Aeotec starts selling them.

What does configVal7 say on the device page? The device can flash for temperature and/or motion, and I assume you've selected no flashes at all.

All 4 of mine show S2. Is this a firmware difference, perhaps? Are you confident that you have the zooz sensor and not the identical looking monoprice one?

Ian

The easy to spot difference is the battery. I think the Zooz takes the single CR123A battery while the Monoprice has the AAA's.

2 Likes

Do you use these sensors as well? I've only had my hub a few weeks, and haven't had issues that point to the motion sensors.

Mine are on the C5, which apparently doesn't have the same (supposed) issues as the C7.

So yes I have a couple of each (Zooz and Monoprice) but I haven't encountered issues due to being on C5.

1 Like

Check your Z-Wave Details page in the Security column, not the device page. The ZSE40s only go up to S0, they do not have S2 capability. On any firmware version.

Ah, yep, it's S0 there. I wonder if that could be causing some of my devices to randomly not update status. It seems odd that both zwave and zigbee do that to me, if this was the cause of the problem.

EDIT: Later discovered that only a single zigbee device was having the issue. After manually adjusting the driver for that device, all is well on the zigbee side.

1 Like

Alright, I will admit I've only skimmed a lot of the general documentation like the Z-wave one now that I'm moving to Hubitat but I read quite a bit several years ago when I first started with ST, I built my Z-wave network with physical switches by installing them partly where I wanted automations and partly putting some switches at locations necessary to build a strong mesh as I do have a large 4000sq ft house. I guess there are just some differences I need to get accustomed to as I move away from ST sensors only and start using different brands - I'm strange where I typically like to just pick a brand for some category and stick with that brand so I had all my wireless sensors ST and rest are from my wired security system set up with Konnected. I had stopped buying ST sensors as I could never get ST hub to do presence or sunset rules correctly so I never finished out a lot of the automations I am excited to get working in Hubitat now. I'm also trying to get out of that single brand in a category mindset with Hubitat and pick sensors based on what I need first/ ease of use second/ price last. Zooz came up multiple times in my search so I gave them a shot along with Dome water leak sensors. ST sensors added quickly and started working quickly in rules in Hubitat despite me just excluding them from ST right before. My new Dome water leak sensors implemented very quickly and were set up and sending alerts right after. Then I added the Zooz sensors. I thought that if the logs were showing motion detected correctly and reacting pretty quickly, that the mesh was established and happy and stable. This is also what threw me for a loop working with Zooz for first time as it is the first time I've run across this scenario. But it does make sense that this may not be the case for all sensors I try now. So it is a very good lesson learned here. Although, they still blink and this is not good for some places I'm using them, like when I sit on couch to turn light on. I have it right next to the couch so lights are not triggers as I just walk through to get to the kitchen. Blinking light next to your face is just not cool. So I will need to try some other sensor if the blinking cannot stop.

1 Like

I do have the Zooz branded ones, not monoprice. Zooz branded box and the CR123A battery. Mine show the same as yours and are on firmware 32.2:

• zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • S2: 128
  • deviceId: 8449
  • deviceType: 8225
  • manufacturer: 634
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x98

And I did change the LED indicator mode to be Temperature off/motion off. I woke up the sensors and synched. One of them refuses to sync now as I put it up using sticky tape and reset it afterwards b/c it got stuck on motion active always. So now it's a bit far away from the hub. and I did take them into the same room as the hub when I set them all up originally. So it is working correctly for humidity now as it is turning the fan on when requested...just the blinking light. The other two say they've synced but blinking still so it is like that parameter is just not being updated into the device at all. I am going to wait until it naturally hits the 7 day wake up interval and see if they update the blinky then. If so, great, then it's just a matter of SUPER patience when working with these, if they never update...well, they will be repurposed into areas that won't kill my soul every time I see a blinky light.

OH, thank you for linking to this discussion. I have exactly 3x Zooz 4 in 1 sensors. So it seems as though I am destined to NOT add any more no matter even if the blinky stops auto-magically. Good to know.

1 Like

Well, thanks to you adding that previous conversation, I knew immediately when all my GE zwave switches stopped responding last night on why it probably was so after never having them stop working. Took 2 of the Zooz sensors out, kept one as I don't have a humidity sensor on order. And everything was able to start working again. So 3 Zooz sensors may work for a bit but does break things after a few days it seems. I hope Zooz comes out with the new model soon, the whole 4 in1 sensor is very useful, so many ways to use them and although not the most attractive, having them all look the same throughout the house was going to please me.

1 Like

I bought two of the 4 n 1's. I didnt read the compatability issues with C7 before I bought. I included one last night. It looks as if it doesnt update status on anything unless I pull battery and replace it.

I have to use the zwave wake button consistently until configuration changes take place when I made changes. Right now it looks inoperable.

Maybe zooz can make a custom driver?

It's a firmware issue, not fixable via driver. Silicon Labs could fix it in the Z-Wave firmware or Zooz could in the device. But they have a new device in development, so it's unlikely they're going to do something for the C7. The inclusion via secondary controller is easy and you should probably have a Z-Stick if you have an extensive collection of Z-Wave devices.

I emailed zooz and asked them. Im sure people have in the past. Its just disappointing. I have had nothing but great experiences with zooz stuff and hubitat and the 4 n 1 actually has 4 sensors that I can use regularly.

Can you mesh a c5 and c7? include the 4 n 1 on the c5?

I just did exactly that two days ago. So far everything is working fine.

so now to find a used c5

Why don't you buy a Z-Stick for $20? Cheaper and less hassle than running 2 hubs. Adding them via a secondary controller adds no more than a few minutes of extra work.

So you use a stick to include the same 4n1 on the c7? its included on my single c7 in none mode? Are all zwave sticks capable of doing this? Like the zooz stick.

Yes, instructions on how to install a secondary controller:

You then include using the PC Controller software. Sometimes the device takes a couple minutes to show up in the Hubitat device list and you will need to change the driver manually to the correct Zooz driver. But it works and the sensors work as intended.

I had emailed Zooz support this question as they were kind enough to offer me a loaner zwave stick if I wanted to try to keep the sensors. But I have not heard back on if the stick needs to be in a computer that is on at all time to make this work or if I can plug it in direct to outlet with whatever random usb plug with right amps. But I need to know if I can use a chromebook for the initial inclusion as that is what I own personally, my PC is for work and I try very hard not to install random programs on it. although I may be able to get it up and running through VM if need be.