Request that ZooZ 4-in-1 Sensor be removed from compatibility list (warn users when they add these devices)

I have two 4-1 Zooz Motion sensors and have had no problems.

1 Like

In my correspondence with Zooz, they have a 700 series sensor in development. So while they've said they might be able to add S2 (which would allow dropping down to no security when pairing on a C7) to the current sensors, even if possible it seems that would not be a good use of their resources.

I would agree with the OP. The sensors should not be used on a C7 unless one is able to join them without security via a secondary controller. And the Hubitat documentation should note that. @bobbyD

I have four. All are decommissioned in favor of the Fibaro motion sensor. I was able to add two of the 4-in-1s with no problems, however as soon as a third was added my mesh would die a messy, inglorious death. I agree with the OP. These should not be listed as compatible unless/until they can be made to play nicely without having to resort to gymnastics with a secondary controller.

It works fine but from what I'm reading I'll need a 500 series based controller to be able to include the Zooz 4-in-1 non-secured. It seems the -7 will behave like the C7 hub including S0.

1 Like

I have 4. In my experience the problems did not start until I added a 3rd one. It did not matter which ones I added first. When I got to the 3rd one all my zwave switches would stop responding to commands. I did use the USB stick work around to add them with no S0 and so far they have been working.

3 Likes

The S0 issue is specific to the C-7 hub and we've been trying to address it on the sensor side but the engineers argue that it's the hub that should allow for a downgrade to no security while this is apparently not possible on a 700 series hub so HE wouldn't be able to add it as one of the inclusion options. So while the sensor works just fine on C-5 and earlier hubs, it's been known to cause some issues on the C-7 hub.
We didn't provide the driver for HE so we wouldn't be able to adjust the way the sensor displays in the hub but we will remove HE from our compatibility list until the issue is resolved, either with a hack on the C-7 side :wink: or with a new version on our side.
@bobbyD when you get a chance to go through this thread, please consider removing the ZSE40 device from the official compatibility list in HE or limiting it to C-5 and older hubs in your documentation.

8 Likes

I’ve just received a Zooz MS 4-in-1 from Amazon. Reading this thread I’m a little confused as to what the problem is because I’m relatively new to HE and Zooz. Does this need to be returned for a refund if it’s not compatible with HE? Thanks.

not recommended for a c7..

1 Like

You can read the details above BUT, in my reading of the topic, there are several ways to use it...

• Only have one. Multiples seem to cause a problem.
  • Include it using a secondary so that it can be included using no security... lower than S0.

I could be wrong... :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I concur.....I have one Zooz 4-in-1 running on my C-7 and it has not caused any slowdowns or problems that I am aware of. I do not intend to install any more.

This seems like the best option given you have a z-stick or uzb.

2 Likes

How might one add a Z-wave device to Hubitat using a USB stick? Or do I have this wrong?

1 Like

You pair the z-stick to HE as a secondary Controller using pc controller v5. You can then add stuff using the pc controller software. It will join HE. This method is used to cleanup ghosts or pair devices. You can update firmware on devices too if you have the firmware downloaded.

1 Like

yikes. This is why my devices are not reacting from my dashboard the past day or so. Installed the 2nd one this weekend to my C7.

It had been a while so I decided to go back and try it and capture a couple screenshots.

I have a UBZ-7 as a secondary to my C-7. I have a lot of Aeon stuff and they make it easy to pick unsecured or S0 by single or double clicking the action button. I'd joined an Aeon Multisensor 6 and the C-7 insisted it join with S0, despite me clicking the button once.

I Excluded it and then using PC Controller, I clicked ADD then squeezed the Multisensor6 in the corner once and it joined and became device #63.

Then looking it Hubitat's device list... nothing. Looking in ZWave Details, nothing. But much later (*) I looked and there it was in ZWave Details as a ghost. I clicked the Discover button and was happy to see:

Others have said the same thing.. that it works, to slip around the requirements of security bootstrapping that Hubitat has due to Certification requirements. And now we know it works for the UBZ-7 too.

(*) I knew it would work and show, so when it didn't in the first minute, I went on to do something else and forgot to check again til hours had gone by. But there it was.

1 Like

Thanks for the testing and screenshots. I haven't started migration yet but this is good to know for when I do.

Trying not to be a pia but do you recall how you downloaded PC Controller V5? I spent an hour on the Silabs website and found a diskfull of utilities but could not identify this.

John

There's more info in this thread including steps to use a zwave stick.. Zooz 4-in-1 (ZSE40), C7, S0

The PC Controller software no longer appears to be available for separate download. You now have to download Simplicity Studio 5. Once it downloads you choose to install by technology and select zwave.

Once it installs you select "tools" and you'll find PC Controller under that.

3 Likes

So I was having issues with my zwave switches going unresponsive. Zwave switches just stop responding to hub
I took some advice and removed all the zooz 4in1s that I had. 9 in total. My issues went away after that. I had included these with a secondary controller without security and they still caused an issue. These things aren't cheap and they're pretty worthless to me at the moment. Not to mention most of my house doesn't currently function without sensors. How can this be fixed?

thesmarthouse website now lists compatibility as below.

• Hubitat (C-5 or earlier hub only, may not work correctly on C-7 due to S0 security issues)