Sense Energy Monitor

Only if it has updated firmware from Securifi. Some of the Peanuts being sold now on Amazon and eBay do have updated firmware, others don't. If they don't have updated firmware, then you need an Almond router to update the firmware.

Ah, bummer. I'm almost positive I have old firmware.

I agree with you completely. While Sense can now detect my HE washer with ~95% accuracy (primarily because I use the same cycle most often), the SmartThings outlet I have the washer plugged into can determine when a cycle ends with 100% accuracy. So that's what I use for notifications.

For some Sense users, who have "electrically clean" homes, Sense does a marvelous job at the accuracy of device identification. For others, like me, it has been very useful to determine overall patterns of use, but for most appliances, I use other means to determine when they start and stop.

1 Like

@SmartHomePrimer yeah my smart home journeys are making me less energy efficient. I understand if it's not a good fit. I have younger people living with me not kids by any means but still have growing to do. So for that I love the ability to have sense alert me if something is on.

Example we have a building out back that my son uses to stream from and I have alerts that tells me if the AC is still on etc. So in that instance it pays for itself for me because unfortunately they don't foot the bill. Although I do have them paying a share of the bills now.

2 Likes

Hey @tonesto7,

Any luck poking at this?

2 Likes

@tonesto7 - any update on this?

I got one of these for free as part of my solar system install, it's pretty neat, and is able to pretty accurately tell me how much energy I'm sending back to the grid at any given moment. Is anybody aware of any local API documentation for this? All I can find so far is cloud based.

There is no local API. But you can use this:

Are there any updates to this? I am currently using IFTTT to turn virtual switches on/off when a device turns on or off, but I find IFTTT sometimes just doesn't trigger or is very delayed.

2 Likes

I have the same experience using IFTTT to relay events from Sense. I only use that so I can display device status on a dashboard, where incorrect info isn't a big issue. It isn't reliable enough to use it to control anything.

1 Like

I have been using home assistant for their sense integration.

You can then use either the MakerAPI hubitat home assistant or MQTT to integrate the two. It works great and is fast!

One of these days, if I ever have some free time, I'm going to setup a HA system.

This is one device I hope gets integrated.

2 Likes

Yes Hubitat integration with the Sense Energy Monitor would be amazing.

1 Like

You can integrate them via Node-RED.

I sent an email to Sense supporting asking if a Hubitat integration was on their list of development projects. The reply simply said that they don't disclose what they are working on or not.

I have looked at the Node-RED integration, and will need to put some more time into understanding Node-RED and how it works. After my initial look, I have to admit I am a bit overwhelmed / intimidated by the setup. Any pointers or easy how-tos for this integration?
Thanks aaiyar,
Spencer

Thank you Reid, I would love this to be an easier plug and play integration, but will start to look more in-depth into the Node-RED integration as well.
Take care,
Spencer

Looks more intimidating than it is.

Yes, I would start here:
Tutorials : Node-RED

For Hubitat-specific information, I would recommend these four threads:

1. Node-RED nodes for hubitat
  2. Node-Red Palette: Common Choices
  3. Raspberry PI Image for Homebridge + Node-Red
  4. Node-Red Flow Samples/Sharing

Once you're up and running, I'd be happy to help you with integrating Sense and Hubitat.

4 Likes

@aaiyar Based on your offer I assume you have this working? I have read of some users experiencing issues with this integration causing issues connecting via their mobile app. I tried briefly last year after I purchased my Sense and had some challenges with my app and access to data. Wasn’t sure if this was a coincidence to me setting up a simple NodeRed flow or a blip in my setup but haven’t tried to integrate since then. Maybe things improved.