Schlage door lock and the C7

I thought you had decided to name both of them Lewis.

2 Likes

Now one thing I noticed is that is is using S0 and not S2 security... very odd... I never got a prompt for security during its setup. I was under the impression that the Zwave plus modules would support S2...

Here’s my module in case anyone is interested:

I don't think that's correct.

1 Like

I thought Z-Wave Plus is required to support S2. Perhaps the fingerprint is wrong. Does 0x5E appear in the lock’s inclusters?

Your circuit board doesn’t look like the one on my BE469ZP (the one on the bottom, below). What lock do you have?

2 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one! :grinning:

1 Like

Is that not the kwikset module?

1 Like

What model Hubitat hub do you have? C-7 is required for S2.

I think so... What does that mean?

Yup, C-7 on 2.2.2.145 Firmware, though I think I had .143 when I paired it...

0x5E means the hub was told by the device that it is Z-Wave Plus. I see from your devices routes that you have a C-7. Let me look a bit.

1 Like

Yes. I think The same devices are sold under the Weiser branding in Canada...

Ok, here are the certification specs for this lock at Z-Wave Alliance. Appears that this Weiser lock does not support S2. See towards the bottom of the spec:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2378/embedpics

I was confused because this thread is entitled “Schlage door lock and the C7”.

1 Like

Ah! Well it seems all is as it should be then, even though it is quite unfortunate... Thanks for this! I never even knew it was possible to find this out! Learned a bunch of new things today!

Oh, good point!!! Seems I’m posting in the wrong thread... lol

Looking more carefully, I see that this lock has a Z-Wave series 500 chip, not a series 700 chip. It is possible for a series 500 Z-Wave chip to support S2. For example, there are some Z-Wave USB sticks with series 500 chips (Aeotec Gen5+ Stick) that is a different software on its Gen5 stick. See:

Your lock spec indicates that it is OTA firmware updatable by the consumer. Perhaps a firmware update might be available from Kwickset/Weiser for S2.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll have to see if I can find something... never updated their lock firmware yet...

Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland) added a really great built-in Device Firmware Updater in the 2.2.4 release. It’s worth the price of the C-7 just for this spiffy updater. Perhaps you might get to use it.

2.2.4 - Device Firmware Update App

2 Likes

I so agree!!! I’ve used his driver version on the C-5 several times. Looking forward to trying the new app on the C-7! :grinning:

It’s night and day with the built in app. A true pleasure.

1 Like

Frustratingly, I cannot get my Schlage FE599 to work with the C7. Always stuck on initializing. Sometimes I do get the "need to exclude to pair securely," message, but it still never works. I took the lock off the door so I could bounce between my C5 and C7 hubs.

C5 pairs instantly, and recognizes the device, etc. No factory reset required, just works right out the gate. I've done all the things mentioned here, like factory resetting the lock, including, excluding, factory resetting again, etc. Rebooting hub.. list goes on. Always sits at Initializing.

Go back to C5, without doing anything special, and bam. Highly annoying. Has anyone figured out what to do when a device is being especially problematic? I also have other devices that did not pair easily, and have left ghost attempts (not this specific device.) Sometimes refresh/remove works, and other times, nothing happens, and the logs have no info.

1 Like

I had a BE469NZ (non-plus) and I didn’t have any issues pairing, just problematic to keep it talking reliably afterwards. Any chance you could keep the lock on the C5 and use hubmesh?

Regarding the zwave remove failing. If the device responds to a ping, then it will not get removed. The device must be powered off and then the remove should work.

Yeah ideally I wanted all radio devices on one hub, so I'll keep trying. Thanks for the power down advice!