Schlage door lock and the C7

Yeah I know what you mean. I have done the same. After hours of working with my Schlage I pulled the pin an bought an Alfred a few weeks ago now and I couldn’t be happier.

First time I've heard of them -- interesting. I have a 'touchscreen' Kwikset deadbolt and the screen SUCKS. It rejects most of my input... I hate it. Curious how yours behaves.

Also, can the BT be used for proximity unlock, while still having it paired via Z-Wave? That would be sick, as long as it was smart enough to have forward-vs-rear BT detection. I'd hate for it to unlock as we walk around the house.

April (who is no longer here) did a review thread on Alfred 5-6 months ago and @diySmartHomeGuy has a review on his page of the DB1. I bought the DB2-B. I need the key backup in case of an electronics malfunction because it’s the one door with an external lock - back door is a patio door and no access from garage.

Keypad is very good but I have only had it for a short time. I had my schlage for two years and I didn’t have any issues with that keypad either. I don’t usually touch it but my wife does and I would hear about it if it was poor.

Yes the BT function is cool. It only activates if first you exit the BT bubble and come back in. And then it allows you to specify a timeout for the one touch feature.

So I did a bunch of reading on the proximity stuff ans apparently it's GPS/geofencing. Requires the app to always be running with a persistent notification. I was really hoping the lock was just aware of devices around it, like some sort of a rice BLE beacon, so I could use a smart watch, or whatever. This doesn't seem to be the case. Bummer.

man, I have never had so many issues with Z-Wave before this C7. I have to plug it into a power brick, and my LTE hotspot and wander around the house. Sometimes putting it within an inch of MS6 and locks. This is nightmarish. I can easily link my C5 to the same items anywhere in the house, without a mesh, and without moving those items, or the hub. I feel like something is really effed on the C7.

Same issue here with both my FE599 and also bought an Alfred lock for my front door.

You also seeing the same 'range' issues when pairing devices? I feel like something changed with the radio when it comes to S0/S2 devices, and now it requires insanely-close proximity to pair... where before it would work from 50-100ft most of the time.

That doesn't explain the Schlage though.

I have the lock sitting 2 ft from the hub, it funny it reported on the battery but that is all i'm getting.

Someone made a comment on another thread that the moved the hub further AWAY and it worked... but I've tried so many positions. I finally re-paired it back with my C5 and emailed Support.

Schlage BE469NX
Hubitat C-7 ver 2.2.5.126

I have had similar issues migrating from C-5 to C-7 for my Schlage BE469NX. I am getting ready to reach out to @672southmain for Voodoo instructions :-) (or find a new circuit board). I moved the Hubitat to within 2ft to ensure a clean inclusion. The lock was excluded from the C-5 and again on the C-7, factory reset and then included. Result => Hubitat can see battery levels and physical lock movements but cannot control the lock.

Below is the log (unrelated devices removed), my steps and Device information.

Log File

Device Details

Steps Taken

1. Lock within 2ft of Hubitat
  2. Exclude device from Hubitat C-7 (confirmed on Lock and Hubitat) (also tried this on C-5 and again on C-7) (pgm code +0)
  3. Confirm no Z-Wave connection on lock (removed and reconnect battery and saw no flashing light on interior button)
  4. Factory reset the lock – removed battery (20-seconds and reconnect while pressing outside button)
  5. Inserted a User Code to initiate the lock’s physical configuration
  6. Set Code length to 6 digits (pgm code + 8 + 6 + 6)
  7. Insert a new user code (pgm code + 1 + new code + new code)
  8. Confirmed the new user code
  9. Initiated inclusion on the C-7
  10. Iniitiated inclusion mode in Lock (pgm code + 0)
  11. Confirmed inclusion on both Lock and C-7
  12. Initiated configure on Hubitat (not necessary but just in case)
  13. Opened and closed the lock manually (recorded on log)
  14. Tried to open/close on C-7 – no impact on log or device
  15. Z-Wave repair on lock
  16. Opened/closed on C-7 – no impact on log or device

You have done all the right steps. You might put back on C-5, use HubConnect or Hub Mesh to use from C-7.

1 Like

Thanks @672southmain. Indeed I may have to go back a generation until the next version of Hubitat comes out. I may just have a flaky C-7 as I am have a similar connection issue with a Lux thermostat (on Zigbee no less) and frequent zigbeeOn System Events. One Lux thermostat works fine, the other will send status but the C-7 will not transmit commands. Other simple switches, temperature gauges and motion detectors etc work fine so I don't think it is a networking issue. Oh... and I can't use Hub Mesh... my C-5 gets an Error 500 if both the C-5 and C-7 have Hub Mesh turned on. On a positive note, I have learned a lot from this deep dive!

Realize that the C-7 and BE469ZP support S2 security, but the C-5 and BE469NX do not. That’s why I swapped out the module in both my BE469NX for the BE469ZP module. Works really well. An added benefit is the longer battery life. Here’s what it looks like after 6 months:

Should last well over a year.

I'm all over your suggestion! Already have a couple of bids out for some BE469ZP parts :slight_smile:

How old is your lock? I called Schlage and told them the zwave module was locking up and they sent me a new version. Which I still have in a box btw since I already laid out money for a new Alfred.

Hi @steve.maddigan - new enough! Thanks for the suggestion. A replacement is on its way! I'll use those eBay modules to upgrade my other locks. Kudos for Schlage support.

2 Likes

Schlage does have excellent support. A major shortcoming is that they don’t provide OTA firmware updates for customers, but neither do any of the other major lock companies. The hardware is reliable, though.

1 Like

And, those support people are loosely, my neighbors. Scattered about the Kansas City metro area. :slight_smile:

I always appreciate companies that have US-based support--it is usually a lot better than the "call center" support from some of the third world countries where they are 100% "written script" driven and speak English as a second language.

1 Like

My Alfred does have upgradable FW :wink:

1 Like

Did not know that. Alfred will now be at the top of my list if I ever need replacements for my BE469ZP locks.