Schlage customer support

Not necessarily, On average it takes about 5 -30 seconds to pick the average home lock for a professional. I was going to post some videos of people getting into some locks with a single rake in less than two seconds but decided against it.

Not true.

Depends on the state you live in. Any tool can be considered a burglary tool.

This will be my last post regarding this topic. I knew I shouldn't have posted this.

Exactly my point. But if the burglars are in possession of no tolls at all, then they can't be in possession of burglary tools, can they. You can kick a door in with your foot.

How long do you think it takes?

Okay, This is really my last post. Footage from an actual attempted break in.

1 Like

Well, this guy obviously isn't a professional because he's breaking into a house with a security system. Houses without security systems are 3 times more likely to be broken into. And to counter that...

Literally less than 2 seconds. If you weren't watching closely, you'd miss it.

2 Likes

I can't help myself. Do you think these guys are trained?

Try not to fall asleep.

Keep in mind that's how cops open doors, not criminals. I believe that criminals are more effective at it.

Anyway, that was a fun diversion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you want to start pulling anecdotal evidence, you can. But statistics are not on your side. A full 23% of burglaries in the US take place by entry through a window. Did they have to pick a lock to gain entry that way?

@Ryan780 - out of curiosity, what percentage of "forced" entry is via a garage door?

(queue some sort of joke re:back door forced entry once you're sent to prison)

2 Likes

Well, for burglaries in 2019, only 9% of entries were made throgh a garage. It doesn't get specific enough to say if that was through a garage door or a garage window.

The most surprising statistic...2% were made through entry through the second floor! I am surprised its that high. I would have thought it would have been less than 1%.

The saddest statistic, 4% of entries were made through an unlocked door. Come on people! It's not 1950 anymore. Lock your doors!

2 Likes

I sent you a PM regarding this.

1 Like

Thanks, Ryan. Appreciate it.

And we don't live in Mayberry any more :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Hereโ€™s my front door lock. Go ahead a get your lock picking tools out and try to pick it. Iโ€™ll wait.

Hereโ€™s my back door lock. Any luck picking either one? :rofl:

Yeah, the Schlage commercial locks are tough and bump resistant. The locks built into their line of smart locks are not up to that same standard.

You want into my house, the fastest way is going to be to kick the door in and grab what you can while the alarm is blaring away and the police are hopefully in route.

1 Like

Yup - next time I upgrade my locks, they will be keyless.

Edit - hopefully that won't be for a while!

1 Like

Agreed, but the residential lock pins are superior to Yale and Kwik-set pins. You will get false sets on the Schlage not so much on the others. I didn't start this for a debate. It was just another thing to consider.

Pins don't really matter when you're talking about a keyless lock, as @SmartHomePrimer pointed out.

Not the entire post.

I'm curious...do you have a spare 9v in your car, just in case? Or do you just change the batteries in the lock well before they get near dead to prevent you needing one? I've considered some of the keyless locks but not having a backup key kinda scares me a bit.

You could do what I'm planning to do. Put a 9V battery in a hidden lock box. That way I only have to carry the lock box key. :rofl:

1 Like

I thought of that, but temps are too cold here. The battery would have to warm up before i could use it. But you wouldn't even need to put it in a lock box...just a weatherproof box. I guess you'd just have to keep it locked to keep someone from stealing the battery. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like