Schlage customer support

Ok, this is something that I can look at.

I added two Schlage locks this weekend. Had a heck of a time at first but I got them working after removing all lock codes manually from the lock, then setting the code length at the lock. Once all that a was completed at the lock I am able to set codes via LCM (with encryption on). When applying the code to the locks the 1 job succeeds and the rest fail. Retrying the job completes one at a time. Disabling codes works well.

It has a smaller antenna. Anyone can figure that out by looking at the size difference. A weaker signal, you would need specific equipment to determine that. I have no specs on the actual power output between the two radios.

I really donโ€™t. I simply donโ€™t buy Schlage locks.

1 Like

I really hate seeing these kinds of posts. They just become proof to others down the road. It makes absolutely zero sense to have a powerful radio that can blast a signal to the furthest device on the network . . . if the device can't communicate back. Z-wave is a mesh network. If you have a well developed mesh with properly functioning devices, it works.

2 Likes

Don't shoot me, I am only the piano player . . . .

https://community.hubitat.com/search?q=zwave%20weak%20radio

The point is for those that already own Zwave devices (such as Schlage locks) and are migrating to HE from Wink and/or other HA systems where those devices worked flawlessly, they could encounter issues as a result of the weak Zwave radio - as acknowledged by Hubitat. I am not expressing an opinion - just stating known facts. Simple.

In my case, I am not experiencing radio issues, but rather issues with the driver and LCM.

Where has Hubitat claimed (or acknowledged) that:

1. The z-wave radio is "weak"
  2. That issues might be encountered (with locks or whatever) as a consequence of this

I read the list of posts you linked to. Couldn't find a single one where Hubitat claimed/acknowledged the z-wave radio was "weak".

Until you can corroborate that statement, I don't believe you're stating known facts.

P.S. I also failed to find a single instance where anyone provided a measure of radio strength.

1 Like

Agreed. What I find equally irksome is that this claim (most recently by @flotsam1) has never been substantiated. If nothing else, at least look up the test data on fccid.io to possibly rationalize the claim.

2 Likes

I have two different Schlage locks connected and in general am in a state I'm happy with, but I do echo others here that the older gen (BE469WKVCAM716) is much more finicky than the newer Zwave Plus models ( BE469ZP CEN 716 ).

For me the key to success with the older model has been;

1. Reset the device
  2. Install a good repeater (I went with Aeotech outlet) close by
  3. Pair the device
  4. Set up the Pin length (8 for me) on the door itself
  5. Set up the pin you want on the door itself
  6. Directly use the commands on the device to do anything else you want

I have not had any luck with Lock Manager for this device, it does seem fine for the newer one though.

In general I'm extremely happy with my two Schlage locks.

1 Like

As am I with mine. And they're both z-wave (not z-wave plus). Also, I do use LCM, but did set the length of the code directly at the lock. But to reiterate, this issue (code length setting) is independent of any claims of zwave radio strength.

1 Like

Your claim was that Hubitat acknowledged the z-wave to be weak. Can you provide any data substantiating that claim?

My opinion (stated out of context) and @waynespringer79's opinion are irrelevant and made without any indication of radio strength. They also data back several months. I don't know what Wayne believes any more, but I certainly don't believe that.

As I stated above Case Closed.

My original response to the OP's thread about bad Schlage CS, was to point out that not all Schlage "lock" issues can be attributed to Schlage, and that - in some instances - some issues can be attributed to HE.

I don't want to get into the middle of a debate. I have no idea about radio strength for any of the systems I run.

I can say this though. I have had 5 Schlage locks for about 5 years. I have always been able to pair them in place. The other systems paired my locks without issue. I spent hours trying to get them to pair with HE. That is one of the reasons I do not run my locks on HE. I am not trying to make a judgement. I am just sharing my experience.

2 Likes

I agree 100%.

3 Likes

And that's your choice. But there is little we can do to change the way Hubitat operates. Whatever the reason you have to do it, the hub has to be close to Z-wave locks in order to pair them. Period. And you have to have beaming repeaters if you want them to work reliably. Whatever the reason for these restrictions, the only real choice we have as users is to use z-wave locks and deal with them or to not have z-wave locks (paired to hubitat that is).

Just a reminder, this is a public forum, please treat everyone with respect and remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a postโ€™s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, offer reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

https://community.hubitat.com/faq

4 Likes

I agree with everything you said. I have never once complained about my locks. I love my Schlage locks.

I debated on bringing this up at all but what the hell. The one thing I haven't seen anyone talk about is the actual physical lock. The Schlage locks are physically built better than other Z-wave locks IMHO. I have participated in competitive lock picking and have friends who do this regularly. These are harder to pick and are physically stronger. I'm sure I'll get slack for saying this but that is the consensus from the people I have spoke with including many locksmiths.

1 Like

This is very true. However, in a home break-in, burglars are not very likely to try and pick your locks. There are more likely to just kick the door in. Even the weakest lock is going to be stronger than the average household door frame. And any lock at all is going to take more time to pick than simply kicking in a door. Locks are deterrents to keep honest people honest. So, while I agree with you that Schlage is a superior lock, I would argue that is not as important as having a lock that works for you and your setup. If the lock isn't locked at all, it provides zero protection. So, even a crappy lock that's locked is better than a schlage that isn't.

2 Likes

That is true in most cases.

This is not accurate. If the lock is susceptible to using a bump key you can get in quicker than kicking the door in. It is also very easy to rake some of the other locks which literally takes a matter of a few seconds.

This is why I wasn't going to bring this up. I didn't want to get into a debate on how people break into homes. I can pick many of the Z-wave locks in seconds and it doesn't make any noise or cause a disturbance.

If it takes more than 2s, it is always slower than kicking in a door. Just saying.

For the record, I do think my schlage locks are built better than my kwikset locks. For what that is worth.

In terms of raking or bumping, I don't know of any smart Lock level of locks that are susceptible to those attacks. Even on kwikset (some of the cheapest made locks out there in my opinion) all smart Lock level locks are bump proof/resistant.

Many of the low/entry level models are able to be bumped though.

1 Like

And kicking in a door always takes 2 seconds. You can argue the point but statistics are not on your side. Also, having a bump key or lock picks with no good reason to have them can be considered being in possession of burglary devices, which is a crime. Your foot has no such law.

1 Like