Schlage BE469

Somewhat a new user - moved away from Wink a few weeks ago. Got my lights setup and automated, next are locks (most important devices) as we need to be able to program codes remotely.
Few questions, please:

1. What is the best way to add/remove codes remotely please? In Wink we had to enter a password and were able to manage the codes. Here I have to be in settings on the local network - that is not going to work as we need to delete and add new codes on weekly bases.

2. Status reporting - I went over the woes in threads like this: Schlage Connect Z Wave Door Lock and understand the basics. I was able to pair the first lock somewhat easily, add new codes from the Lock manager app and it seemed to work. However within 2 hours I lost the status in the dashboard and it will not respond to any command.

When I open the log, and enter one of the programmed code I see it communicating (the log sometimes shows the name of the code and sometimes just "physical", so any ideas?

Screenshot 2020-05-20 14.42.12

"physical" is supposed to mean exactly that, someone walked to the lock and manually (physically) locked or unlocked it. Each code you enter can contain a name. The Unlock message displays the name of the code that was entered.

I get this message when I use a Dashboard to Unlock one of my Locks:

dev:2917 2020-05-20 02:59:25.317 pm info Yale Lever Lock was unlocked via command [digital][6:4]

Some people have found creative workarounds, but you probably won't get 100% of what you want without using the hub's admin UI. Since that is only available locally, remote access to your local admin UI via a VPN like OpenVPN (which I use--easy to set up with pivpn on a Raspberry Pi or most Debian-based Linux distros) or WireGuard (never used it but have seen some people here recommend it) would be your best bet. Some people also use remote screen-sharing software like TeamViewer, though that, of course, requires a full-blown desktop environment to be on/available.

Otherwise, Lock Code Manager can handle some basic needs, e.g., enabling and/or disabling on specific dates. You can set that up ahead of time and then won't need to do anything until the next time you want to modify something. There may be community apps that can handle more aggressive scheduling--e.g., on these hours on these days--but Z-Wave locks and the Schlage ones in particular can be picky for some people (and no lock I know of natively supports schedules--this is all on the hub, sending commands to add/remove users), so I'm not sure I'd want to count on the reliability of this behavior myself. YMMV.

1 Like

Thanks, I get that, but why does it sometimes display the name of the code i.e. "Vetraci" and sometimes it just says "physical" and no name for the code used? It is important as we use this for an audit purposes...

For me, Physical shows up in two instances;

1. When I use a key to unlock or lock
  2. When I use the manual physical thumb stick to unlock/lock (very common from the inside everyday)

I can't answer for Schlage.. I don't own one. I have Yale and their results may vary.

dev:2915 2020-05-20 03:19:42.949 pm info Yale Lock was unlocked by unknown codeNumber: 251[6:6]
dev:2915 2020-05-20 03:19:33.153 pm info Yale Lock was manually locked [physical][6:1]
dev:2915 2020-05-20 03:19:27.817 pm info Yale Lock was unlocked by Code3[6:6]
dev:2915 2020-05-20 03:19:14.414 pm info Yale Lock was manually locked [physical][6:1]

I walked to the door and touched the lock, causing it to Lock.. manually. No code required.

Then I unlocked it using one of the codes programmed in via LCM. "Code3"

Then I locked it again.. Manual, no code.

And finally I unlocked it using the Master Code... which shows as "Unknown 251" -- given the Yale supports 250 codes, then 251 is obviously how they id the Master code :slight_smile:

As an example;

@tomasv - from your screenshot, it "appears" your logs show an example of;

1. Unlocked from the Hubitat App or via the keypad using your code (Unlocked by Vetraci)
  2. Locking from the keypad (presumably tapping the Shlage logo on the keypad)

Thanks all - tried again and it seems there was 1 event missed, thus the confusion but verified the physical button versus code, versus app.

Back to the remote code programming of codes - I am aware of the VPN options, but my wife won't be able to do that and the need for a desktop/admin is very painful!!! Are you aware of any community apps out there? the AirBNB community must need this as well...

And the fact the lock is in the dashboard as "unknown"? any ideas on a fix/preventing that since the log sees all of the commands? it's like that in the cloud dashboard, local one on desktop and mobile... and it will not lock via the dashboard either...

Re: the Dashboard "Unknown" issue:

Have you tried removing the tile from the dashboard and recreating/re-adding the lock tile again? I have the same lock, and when that happened, I was unable to control the lock by pressing the icon on the dashboard tile, which you should be able to do.

I tried that and it worked - thanks! Will keep an eye on it as I have 5 more locks to go.

I am really hoping HE is more stable, so far it has been a bumpy ride. Replacing iHome hardware with GE Outdoor plugs, having Zigbee locks as backups, no Sensi integration (I have 12 thermostats..)

Now only if there would be a community app allowing to set the codes remotely :frowning: :sob:

Not sure if you already searched and saw this, but this might help give you options:

Unfortunately the strength of Hubitat (local execution) also means it's inherently not geared for web-based administration like other Cloud-centric solutions like SmartThings, at least not without using a solution like a VPN to simulate local administration remotely.

Seen this, still hoping to find some solution - there is the cloud dashboard, which should give us some option to reach back. In my FTE options I worked on a per app VPNs (VPNs that launch on demand on iOS and Adroid without the user having to do anything) perhaps we need something similar via a crowdsourcing effort.

Is there a place to start a community effort for funding something like this? I think I could bring some of the Airbnb folks here and if each pitches $100 ...

I'm not sure if there's an official place for that type of request. I did see someone recently put out a request for developers to build a custom solution.

If anything, I'd post it in the Developers or Lounge category. Good luck!

1 Like