Schlage BE469 Lock - No "lock" trigger when manually locked

First off let me start out by saying THANK YOU HUBITAT! This hub has opened a whole new world in home automation (Wink refugee). Second forgive me if i'm not posting this in the right place. Now third, my question/issue... I have a Schlage BE469 Lock, and my normal day-to-day is to "digitally" unlock the door either by the app, by geo-presence, or by pin code (which all this works fine) including all notifications. However when I "lock" the lock, I usually do this manually by flipping the lock tumbler on the back of the lock. When the tumbler is flipped, there is no notification sent, and when I look at the device in my HE, it shows "unlocked" however it's obviously not. Now with that said on the "not to be mentioned" previous ecosystem I used, I would get the notifications with an issue (well.. when it was working lol). With all this said, I've tried (at length) to search the forums (both the HE as well as the interwebs) but I can't find anyone with this similar issue, which makes me think there is a 1 or 0 in the wrong place within the programming of my lock since, if i'm reading the driver info right, I would think that 1 or 0 should be in a setting within my lock itself, to basically send the status change to the HE when the tubler is turned. With all that said I am a total noob to HE and the advanced way it works, so please go easy on me!! Any help from the community or the HE dev's would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks all, and happy Hubatat'ing !!! lol

Do you have a repeater that supports beaming?

@april.brandt To be honest, I have no idea. I have 2 plugin modules that are repeaters, 3 in-wall plug that are repeaters, and 1 in wall light switch where are all repeaters.. Each type of device are the exact same make and model, I purposely did that in my "old system" so I had like devices all around, so when I moved to HE its the same exact "devices" so I would "think" the same z-wave mesh/repeater kind of setup. And again I worked in the old ecosystem/hub. If it helps I can pull model numbers of the devices and see if anything comes up with "beaming", but again, if these worked without issue in the old ecosystem, wouldn't it be the same in HE? Again, my assumption, and well, ya know what they say about assuming lol.. thank you for your response.

No. Not even close to being the same. :grin:
You're experiencing something that I've solved. There are several plugs that support beaming. The complete message is not being delivered to your lock because of the protocols. You can solve this with a repeater that supports beaming. Enerwave, aeotec repeater 6, or aeotec plugs for sure have beaming. I just wrote a post talking about it. Look for "understanding reoeating and other tidbits" it'll explain a lot. I'm on my phone so it's a pain to search or I'd link it for you.

I have a schlage BE469 and its hitting every time with a repeater.

@steelz1

This is a link to @april.brandt's post that she referred to in her response to you ...

1 Like

Sweet!! thank you @april.brandt, i will read that post... I have no idea, why it didn't come up in my 3 days worth of searching lol..

@aaiyar thank you for the link.. I'm gonna start reading!! Hopefully this is my issue and it explains to why this function worked on with without an issue but now on HE it isn't. and its ONLY the "locking" aspect from the manual turn if i unlock it manually i get the notification, if i unlock or lock from my app or pin code on the keypad it's fine.. just no "lock" trigger..

thank you to you both, I'll update ya'll if you want after I read and follow the "tidbits" april talks about!!

1 Like

if you have any questions please let me know

1 Like

I read through both your write up and the pdf, and let me say you're write up was very educational, so thank you so much for your work on that.. I went through and researched my devices (plug in modules, outlets, and switches) and found the following:

Leviton VRPA1-2BW - states it does beaming (2 in use)
Leviton DZR15-1RZ - states it does beaming (3 in use)
Levition DZS15-1LZ - states it does beaming (1 in use)

I can attach the product sheet's for these 3 devices for validation, but it appears that these devices do in fact do the beaming you talk about.

Now with that said, is that a feature that needs to be turned on/off via the driver in HE, I wouldn't know (lol again NOOB here).

So I guess i've started to open a can of worms in the Z-Wave world I have lol..

In closing, thank you for your insight, and documentation which further educated me on the intricacies of Z-Wave!!

EDIT:
shoot, sorry about the edit, my fat fingers hit keys they shouldn't have..

Does this improve when you do a repair?

I read alot, and I found this "Z-Wave Repair" function a while back, so I have to admit, that was the very first thing i attempted, cause i hate to bother people when it is something crazy easy like that lol..

when I get home we'll pioneer some solutions. Should be about 20 minutes. Doing this from my phone kind've bites.

Oh lord!! this is by no means a urgent thing!!! Its just something that I have found that happens in HE that didn't in Wink. It is nothing more that a notification type of thing for me.. Please @april.brandt, take your time and don't rush. On a side note, I just realized it's after 9pm my time and my stomach is screaming at me, so I think i'm over due for dinner anyhow lol.. I greatly appreciate the HE community input and guidance!!

1 Like

Don't want to step on @april.brandt's toes here while she's helping you. Just want to point out that AFAIK, none of those Leviton devices are z-wave plus.

1 Like

good call @aaiyar that will make a difference. As you knew I was not at home to properly search out the devices.

1 Like

I've searched out some of the devices and they don't support encryption. The schlage locks support secure join. I think this might be the reason they are not communicating 100%. I'll need to research this a bit. The Schlage locks support encryption, but I'm not finding an older firmware lock conformance statement. I'm fairly sure this is why. Not to mention zwave instead of zwave plus

I have to disagree seeing as how prior to HE, there were no issue with the communication, so as much as I appreciate the input I don’t think it’s a device issue or relay issue since as I’ve stated previously the lock/unlock from the manual turning of the dial on the lock doesn’t notify HE, and again this only happens on HE. So I believe there may be a setting on my lock that isn’t set and/or maybe a driver issue on HE with either the lock or some combination.. as always thank you for your input

Most users do disagree with me at first. If you check the compatibility list, this lock has been removed and is no longer supported by Hubitat. They did not remove the driver but it is on a use at your own risk basis. I am using the HE driver for the lock as well. My lock started out not reporting certain actions. Then started burning through batteries and eventually moved on to bottlenecking my network and finally shutting down my hub. Took about a week or so.
Also, every platform is going to have challenges. HE is not wink. Does not use the same internal structure as wink and therefore cannot be compared to wink and why it does or does not work is irrelevant compared to wink. Do feel free to follow your path, but I am skeptical that you will find a successful result as I've watched others in the almost 3 years I've been on Hubitat follow this exact course. I will say that I WILL be here to offer any help or advice that I can along the way. For what it's worth. This worked for me and has been flawless. Not to mention a great price. I'd recommend the 7, but it seems to be unavailable due to shipping issues from overseas.
https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Range-Extender-Z-Wave-Repeater/dp/B07GRYTHBQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=aeotec+range+extender&qid=1590893427&s=electronics&sr=1-3

1 Like

I have a few questions.

1. Did you perform a factory reset on the lock prior to adding it to HE?
  2. Are you using Lock Manager?
  3. Do you have any rules setup or anything else "talking" to the lock?

I can say that my lock was very temperamental until I factory reset it and set the codes using lock manager. It has been flawless since.

Also bring up the log screen and see if you see this when you manually lock/unlock "Front Door Lock was locked by thumb turn [physical]"

@april.brandt, I have order a 2 pack of the repeaters you recommended and I’ve also bought two of the Aeotec plug in modules as well which also are repeaters (but I bought them for the energy reporting feature). I will report back once I get them in and in place. I am willing to try anything and the advantage of having amazon is if it doesn’t resolve the issue I can send them back lol!! I’ll keep ya posted.

1 Like
  1. Oh yea, lol I didn’t want to bring over anything from Wink lol
  2. Yes.. I don’t trust myself being the noob I am lol
  3. At first, no I didn’t have any rules as I like to test and have a burn in period, and it didn’t work right before I started making rules.

And I checked and no there isn’t a log entry like you mentioned..