Schlage BE469 Lock - No "lock" trigger when manually locked

I will be here.
:+1:

@april.brandt Thank you again for your input.. have a good one!

1 Like

Mine gave me a heck of a time getting setup too. just for the heck of it, have you tried selecting the other Schlage driver, saving the device, and then switching back to the 469 driver and saving it?

Ok.. so @april.brandt, I ordered two of the repeaters and have added them and did a z-wave repair and still, no notifications from my lock when the manual turn knob is turned to the lock or unlocked position.. so it is not a signal issue.. The only think is the driver for HE I would have to guess..

@AutomatedThoughts I did try to switch the driver as you advised and it does not help at all..

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations, anyone else have any ideas??

Placement? Where do you have them placed?

1 Like

There has to be something funky going on with your scenario. I have the exact same lock and it reports physical and digital lock and unlock notifications.

Nothing in the logs when you physically lock or unlock?

I, too have this lock. I think he's given up on us, though. The only thing I can think of is a mesh issue. HE is not the size of a small ottoman like Wink is, so closer attention needs to be paid to the strength of the mesh and placement of the repeaters is everything. I see that there are really only about 6 z-wave devices - now 8 with the addition of the repeaters. Depending on distance and obstacles, placement of the repeaters needs to be adjusted until he gets something. I DO wish these locks were easier. I have 3 z-wave locks and I have them all working very well. I've had plenty of time to figure them out, though. The levitons do beam, but for whatever reason, they don't like the locks either. It's strange, but a robust mesh is really the key to getting these locks to work. No communication whatsoever is strange.

Yeah, I agree. I've actually had zero issue with the lock. Well, I had to remove and reinstall after a battery change once; don't know what happened there. But since then, been rock solid. My Kwikset on the other hand was pure junk until I converted it to a Zigbee internals.

I'm kind of thinking mesh issue as well. But the weird thing is it is reporting digital notifications if I read correctly. You would think if it was mesh, that would be hit and miss as well.

That's what's weird about these devices. Something has to wake them up to report. And z-wave is limited to 4 hops to a command. If something is weak there, it's going to cause issue. The last hop has to be a beam to wake up the lock. So, ya, I'm convinced that mesh is the issue. Can probably get around it if the repeaters are placed correctly. I just talked to another hubitater that converted their wink hub to a repeater for HE, and it solved their problem. Same issues as listed here. I have two aeotec 6's and an enerwave beaming plug and my locks hit every time. I have 3 z-wave locks in my environment. I can't explain why one thing works better than another, but I had my locks repeating through the 6's until I had a power outage. Now they shifted their game to liking the enerwave. But I have 3 beaming repeaters in my mesh. So I opened up several good paths for the locks to take. It's a difficult concept.

1 Like

Yeah I get it, just weird. He never did say how far he was away from hub or repeaters for hub did he? Never saw that he answered you.

Maybe you can guide him to convert his Wink hub to a repeater too. I know nothing about Wink whatsover.

Hopefully he doesn't get too frustrated and give up!

Me too. there is a post here describing the conversion. You'd only need to search if you were curious. I've never owned Wink. I went from Smartthings to Hubitat. I did not pass go or collect $200. Right to the big dog. :grin:
If he's anything like me, he walked away frustrated. Take a day or so to think about it and right back at it. You can only work on what's in your head. If it's not there, then find something else until it is.

As far as locks go, it's a slippery slope. I think that we don't really know what we're getting into with these. Especially with understanding how those devices work. I've not found anything else in home automation more frustrating than locks.

One is placed about 10 feet line of sight to the HE and the other is about 20ft away from the HE and about 2ft from the lock

Nothing shows in the logs when the manual turn is locked or unlocked, but when I push the button to lock or enter in the pin code to unlock it shows in the notification. Note this was both before AND after putting in the Aeotec repeaters.. there has to be some setting in the locks programming that is set to not send the manual turn info to the HE.. that’s the only thing I can come up with.. Side note, I’m keeping the repeaters for now but may end up returning then since my z-wave mesh network has always been very good so I don’t think I need them more than the extra $$ lol.. but for now they are still online and running.

1 Like

Sorry April.. I posted then fell asleep on the couch.. lol no I have not given up on HE or you all.. I’m to darn stubborn to do that hahah.. this worked before with wink, and I am wanting to make it work with HE but this is not a deal breaker for keeping HE.. I love the device and it’s abilities, and you all as a community to much to pull the plug!! All of this is so much better than Wink, I just want to have my lock notifications lol..

I might have missed this, but how did you pair your lock. Did you unpair from Wink then right onto Hubitat, or did you do a factory reset in the process.

I am not certain one way is better than the other, but maybe removing the lock, factory resetting it, and then pairing again might help something.

My other go-to is to do a configure from the device page. Again, not sure that will help. Similarly, maybe change the driver to Generic Zwave lock, save, then back to the Schage specific one.

The repeaters aren't a loss as they handle a fair amount of traffic. I've been watching my zniffer lately to get a handle on routing. There is tool called basic configuration tool. I'm not sure if it's native, but you can open up and see configuration for a device. You should be able to see the log on the lock movement. even with old firmware, it should tell you locked or unlocked. I figured you wouldn't give up on HE, but I would have walked away from the problem in frustration and gone back later. That's all I meant. I'm also stubborn.
I would also check to make sure that secure pairing shows true in device details in the lock driver first. If it doesn't then you need to exclude and pair again. If you have to do that, then I'd recommend doing a reset of the lock and starting fresh. It might find the repeaters if you do that, but you might have to bring the hub and the lock within 6-8 inches of each other to get it to pair secure. It's a problem if it's not paired secure.

@neonturbo Thanks for your input.. to answer your question, I did in fact, do a factory reset as I did not want to bring anything from my old setup, so I removed the lock from wink, then factory reset the lock, then did the inclusion into HE, then built up the lock codes using the code mgr. as far as the driver, someone (forgive me cause I don’t remover who) actually advises to do this as well, and I did try to switch to the generic lock driver, save, then switch back.

Again all my functions work between HE and the lock. The only thing that doesn’t is when the lock is manually turned to lock or unlock..

That is making me wonder if something didn't come in properly during the pairing process. I have 3 of these on a couple different firmwares, and they do report this correctly.

@april.brandt lol it’s all good. Personally I have ADHD and OCD, and I’ve been in computer/network tech for over 25 years, so I never give up on a tech issue hahaha!! Anyways, yea I have verified that the lock does show true on secure pair. And I was contemplating wiping the lock out again and adding it to HE again. It’s not a huge deal as I have a Ethernet drop really near the lock and a ext battery that I plug the HE into for the initial pairings lol.. I just wish I knew more about the language and programming of the lock, cause I swear there is a setting that’s in the lock that u turn on/off that sends the manual lock notifications.. I’ve drilled and googled my eyes out but I guess my google-foo isn’t as strong as it once was hahah.. in all seriousness though I do greatly appreciate all your thoughts and recommendations..

@neonturbo The firmware on mine is whatever came with it and I don’t see anywhere that there are any, more current, firmware options. But if you know of where I can procure a more recent firmware, I’d surly give it a go..