Rule Machine vs. Webcore

Iā€™m planning to transition from ST to HE where I use around 100 rules (pistons) under Webcore. Moving to HE I really want to keep all automations at the local level and intend to leverage Rule Machine. What are the limitations of Rule Machine vs Webcore and what should I be aware before I start rebuilding my rules?
Thanks!

You can transfer your webcore piston directly to HE and they run locally. You may have to make a few minor changes based on the devices, but in most cases it will be a a pretty simple change over.

2 Likes

I would stick with webcore since you can transfer them directly. I'm guessing you're used to working in webcore so I would say stick with it, I did. I find it easier to use.

1 Like

If it matters to you, Webcore is a community-based and supported app where Rule Machine is an officially supported built-in app. I don't think in reality that makes much of a difference, but Hubitat Support staff can't (or won't) help figure out issues with Webcore if any issues were to occur.

I have never tried Webcore, so I can't directly compare the two. But Rule Machine, Room Lighting app, and Basic Rules are all very good built-in apps that I think everyone should try at some point.

1 Like

Hold on, did I hear you correctly, webcore piston can run locally on HE?? This would the best news of the day!

I would definitely keep Webcore once confirming it runs locally. Iā€™ve spent countless hours fine tuning these rules, and Iā€™m now extremely confortable pseudo ā€œcodingā€ in webcore.

There are a number of discussions about this on here. All of your pistons are loaded on your hub and run locally. You need to use a web browser and cloud to edit the pistons, but that can be setup locally as well if it's a real problem for you.

Great. Thanks all for the confirmation. I have since look at various threads on the forum on that topic. For whatever reasons I was under the impression that rules were not local and never looked further.

I personally use both. I find If I have more "complicated" rules/automation it is much easier to troubleshoot and too stats on the performance and just easier to use. I use RM for simpler to construct rules and doesn't require a lot of variables. I don't like how the variables are used in RM as list a device in the device list. Overall, I like Webcor better. I do notice that WebCoRE will run a little quicker than RM too. Thus, simple rules you are not going to gain much. WebCoRE more complex rules you may see a difference.