Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

ahh … ok the rule was expecting a fan with level control … so that would normally have the temperature increments to set the level of the fan. that field should also be required when a fan is specified … i will fix that.

meanwhile if you put a value of 1 in that field … does the fan turn on and the error go away and a new error show up? :slight_smile:

Ahh, I see. I put a 1 in and the fan immediately kicked on. I’ll have to go check the logs to see if the error went away.

1 Like

At first glance, I'm not seeing the error anymore.

1 Like

I am still seeing one other issue with a couple of my rooms, though this one isn't showing an error message in the logs. I have a Hue bulb in my den that is set to turn on to a soft white when motion is detected and it triggers an "occupied" state. I also have a harmony hub in the room, and I have it configured to trigger an "engaged" state whenever one of the activity switches are on. Part of the Harmony activity involves changing the color of the previously mentioned Hue bulb to 6500k when the activity starts, and putting it back to soft white when the activity ends. Obviously, I don't want the bulb turning off or changing colors while I'm actively watching the TV. Even though I'm pretty sure I have everything configured correctly, I will occasionally notice the bulb will either turn off completely if no motion has been detected for a while (even though the TV is on and the harmony activity switch is still on), or the bulb will turn off altogether if no motion has been detected for a while (it thinks the room is vacant even though the TV is on and the activity switch still shows on). I'm attaching a screenshot of the logs from the last time it happened and the bulb turned off. I'm also pasting my complete room settings below.

ROOM SENSOR SETTINGS:

Motion sensors ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   [Den Motion Sensor]
Room button:
Button number:
Rotate thru states:
Presence sensors:
Lux sensor:
Power device:
Humidity sensor:
Music player:
Window shades:

OCCUPIED SETTINGS:

Button device:
Button number:
Only sets:
Switches:
Motion timeout ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   300 seconds

ENGAGED SETTINGS:

Busy check ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ Light traffic
Button device:
Button number:
Only sets:
Presence action:
Presence continuous:
Engaged with music:
Switches ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   [Den Ceiling Lights, Den TV, Fireplace Light, Music, PlayStation, XBOX]
Engaged power:
Time from:
Time to:
From vacant:
Reset engaged state:
Stays below:
Contact sensors:
Outside door:
Only sets:
Require motion ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   1,800 seconds
Switches:
Reset no checking:

CHECKED SETTINGS:

Dim timer ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  90 seconds
By level:
To level:
Below lux:
No restore:

VACANT SETTINGS:

Button device:
Button number:
Switches:
Pause speaker:

ASLEEP SETTINGS:

Asleep sensor:
Button device:
Button number:
Only sets:
Switches:
Asleep power:
Time from:
Time to:
From vacant:
Stays below:
Asleep timeout:
Reset no checking:
Reset sleep state:

Night switches:
Set level:
Set color temp:
Night motion sensor:
Motion timeout:
Light on when:
Button device:
Button number:
Button actions:

LOCKED SETTINGS:

Switches:
When switch turns on:
Locked power:
Time from:
Time to:
From vacant:
From vacant:
Stays below:
Locked contact:
Contact closes:
Turn off switches:
Allow override:
Locked timeout:

AUTO LEVEL SETTINGS:

Min level:
Max level:
Wake time:
Sleep time:
Fade up wake time:
Fade up wake before:
Fade up wake after:
Fade dn sleep time:
Fade dn sleep before:
Fade dn wake after:
Auto color temp:
Min kelvin:
Max kelvin:
Fade up wake time:
Fade up wake before:
Fade up wake after:
Fade dn sleep time:
Fade dn sleep before:
Fade dn wake after:

TEMPERATURE SETTINGS:

Temperature sensor:
Manage temperature:
Use thermostat:
Room thermostat:
Temperature delta:
AC switch:
Heater switch:
Check presence:
Contacts closed:
Outdoor Temperature:
Adjust with outdoor:
Fan switch:
Room vents:

HOLIDAY LIGHT SETTINGS:

Holiday lights:

RULE SETTINGS:

Rules:
	1: State=[occupied, engaged] ON=[Den Floor Lamp] Level=100

ADJACENT SETTINGS:

Adjacent rooms:
Motion check:
Pathway lighting:

GENERAL SETTINGS:

Away modes ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ [Away, Sleep]
Pause modes:
Days of week:
Use celsius:
All switches off ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ true
Execute on state ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ true
Announce volume:
Contact open:
Door open:
Which state:
Icon URL:

in the engaged settings you have motion required every 1,000 seconds. so even when the switch is on if there is no motion in 1,000 seconds it will reset the room to vacant which normally would turn off everything unless there is a rule to override what happens in vacant state.

increase the require motion timeout value to say 3,600 seconds … save the room and give it a try. this will require motion at least once in 60 mins. or you could completely remove the require motion setting but that would perpetually keep the room engaged if you forgot to turn off the activity switch.

Ahh, I see. I misunderstood how the settings worked. I thought, if I put a switch in to trigger the engaged state, it would stay that way regardless of whether or not there was motion. The activity switch turns on and off automatically with the TV, so I think I'm safe to have the rule assume if the TV is on I'm engaged in the room. Thanks for the clarification!

sure thing. yeah that would work.

also noticed you have 6 switches specified as engaged switches. so turning on any of those switches would set the room to engaged. which is off course not an issue if that is what you want.

you could also use the tv, music, xbox or playstation turning on to turn on the ceiling lights and fireplace using rules. that would be another option for setting this up.

off course if you have a temperature sensor in the room you could also only turn on the fireplace when the temperature falls below a certain threshold … but you probably already know that from setting up the kitchen.

The reason for having all six switches be a trigger for engaged is because all of those switches require me to manually turn them on. If I go to the trouble of explicitly turning on a switch, the assumption is I’m planning on staying in the room for a while. Usually the ceiling lights and fireplace lights are off if the TV is on, and vice versa. This way it triggers engaged if I’m hanging out in that room with the TV on, or if I’m in there doing something other than watching TV. Thanks again for all the help.

1 Like

@bangali Could you explain exactly what the "Only on state change" setting does under the "MODE & OTHER SETTINGS" page? Originally, I thought it meant the rules I set up would only trigger the first time the room entered that state. For example, if a light turns on when the room becomes occupied (motion detected), but I change the color temp of the light later on, it won't change back to the original color every time motion is detected. The explanation on GitHub, however, doesn't seem to match up with my assumption. GitHub describes the setting as "This processes the rules every 5 minutes on ST and every 1 minute on Hubitat to process the rules and set any matching switches ." This almost sounds to be the opposite of what I thought.

Thanks again for your patience as I blindly stumble my way through setting up my rooms.

UPDATE

I may have spoken too soon about it not meaning what I thought. I turned this setting off in my den, and my lamp kept turning itself off when I was sitting still on the couch even though my TV was on (which keeps the room in the “engaged” state). Does this make sense based on what the setting should be doing?

i do this for love of users and open source. (sometimes also for love of coffee / whiskey etc but that will always be secondary by far. :smile: ) if you are using my software i have a responsibility to support you. so questions and feedback are always welcome.

lets try a quick experiment:

1. in settings turn off the only on state change switch and save settings
  2. turn on TV and sit quietly. no moving. :slight_smile:
  3. check room state.
  4. see if lights turn off … if they do check room state.
  5. is room state the same before and after the lights turn off?

repeat 2 - 4 with that setting now turned on and saved.

btw this is what should be happening.

That's pretty much what I did when it happened earlier, but I wasn't able to grab a screenshot of the logs so I did it again just now. With the "only on state change" switch turned off, the den light turns off after I sit still for a little bit. This happens even when the Den TV is on, and the room stays in the "engaged" state the entire time. The other weird thing I noticed this time is, when I got up to go look at the logs and triggered the motion sensor in the den, the light stayed off. As I sit here typing this, the room continues to show "engaged" but the light is still off. Attached are the logs for the room during what I believe is the entire relevant period of time. It wouldn't fit all on one screen, so I had to do it in two screenshots.

When I turn on the "only on state change" things appear to work relatively as intended. It seems weird to me though that the light turns off when that setting is disabled, but the room stays in the engaged state the entire time.

Thanks again for your help.

weird. and you are sure there is no rule or piston or something else that is turning off the lights? if possible go to the events for the light from devices and please share a screen shot of those.

if the only on state change flag was on for this then its behaving exactly as it should.

Just to clarify, the weird behavior of the light turning off even when the room stays in "engaged" only happens when the only on state change flag is OFF. When it's ON (ie: the switch is on in the settings) the room seems to behave as it should. Attached are the events list for the specific light in question. If I'm reading them correctly, then the light turning on at 4:58:17 is when I walked into the room. When the color changed at 4:59 is when I turned the TV on and the Harmony hub changed the color to 6500k. About 36 seconds later is when it turned back off again even though the TV was still on.

thanks … i forgot on hubitat you cant see which app issued the command.

hmm … thats very odd … i will try it out.

and for the light that is turning off there is no other app using the light except for the room and rooms manager itself?

Correct.

thanks … will try out later tonight and update.

1 Like

tried … found … fixed … i think. :slight_smile:

will be in the next release.

1 Like

I'm still having troubles with the night lights, they don't turn on at all.... Any idea? Can't find the reason myself.

I, like m.s.d., have experienced a couple of times when room manager turns the lights off outside of a restriction bubble.

For example, I restricted the rule to run during sunrise to sunset. We use the lights manually in this room at night. But they kept going off with inactivity. I deleted the child room app for this room and set it all up from scratch and it seemed to worked fine after that. I think it tends to happen when you've created and disabled a number of rules 'playing around'. I'd like to ability to actually delete rules, maybe that'd help with it getting a bit confused.

Great work, though. This is by far my favorite way to manage occupancy. Back on ST I used WebCore and had these ridiculously huge and complex pistons that never seemed to work right. So glad I found room manager!

2 Likes

i use night lights in 3 different rooms 1 on HE and 2 on ST and they all work consistently. since you are familiar with that code … guessing you have tried debugging already?