Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

did you install all the apps and driver? I think its 4 apps?

1 Like

That's probably the problem, I only installed two apps and a driver. Thanks!

So new challenge, I need to make the lights in the room stop changing state if there has been a manual command issued to them, while the room remains occupied, engaged, or checking.

e.g. the lights come on when my wife comes in the living room. She wants to watch tv without the lights on. She turns the room off via alexa. A minute later the lights come back on again. She comes down and asks me how forcefully I would like her to stomp on the motion sensors.

I know there is an option to only evaluate the maintain rules on state change, which would help if she turns the lights off and maintains the motion sensor so that the room stays in occupied or engaged state. But would the lights come back on if the room went to checking state? Or to checking and then back to occupied again?

Also, that would keep the lights from dimming over the course of the evening on days when we don't want to turn the lights off and keep them off.

Not really sure the best way to accomplish that!

as a starting point setting the only on state change will help. along with that i would recommend using a power value switch with the TV being on to set the room to engaged. that will keep the room state from switching and overriding the lights.

yes that is an issue.

one simple thing i am thinking of incorporating is not to send recurring light level, color and color temperature settings if the device is off and the room state value is the same as the last value.

thoughts on this?

sounds good, but I might take it one step further and make it configurable. Might be nice to have it apply to occupied/engaged, and only kick off again if it's cycled through Vacant mode

1 Like

I am having difficulty setting up the Occupancy Icon to be displayed on my dashboard. The attributes Template does not allow me to select the Occupancy ICON, only the OccupancyIconURL. Should i be using the Image Template instead.

Just moved over to Hubitat from Smartthings hoping for a bit more stability. So far so good.

Brilliant app by the way.

1 Like

i havent played around with it for a while … but if i remember correctly from trying last time the image URL requires a static link and does not use the link contained in an attribute value to display the image. so you can display the occupancy text value but not the image.

Is there anyway to get a room to mute Sonos speakers instead of pausing?

I am having an issue with the Night Lights in ASleep Mode. The night lights are correctly turned on when motion is detected but turn off after the timeout regardless as to whether there is motion still detected. Anyone else have this issue. I could do this in the rules area but I prefer the quicker timeout provided by the ASleep Mode?

I have tried to setup the 'Door has been left open' function , however it does not work. I get the message that the door has opened or closed, but not the 'Door has been left open' notification

I have had my Hubitat in the UK for about a month now and overall happy with my migration from Smartthings. One of the reasons for this move was to eliminate the poor performance and unreliability experienced with Smartthings in general, The Room Manager app satisfies the majority of my needs and with the ability to run rules within the app means I don't really have the need to run much else.

Unfortunately, I have experienced a number of issue and I am wondering whether I am doing something wrong.

To explain my issues, I have the following setup in the app:-

I have motion sensors in most of my rooms, which basically turn lights on and off depending on Lux, modes and time of day.

My main issue is that I have experienced a significant slowdown in the performance of my hub in other areas, in that it can take 10 seconds plus to open a dashboard, open a device or app.

My question to users of this app is, from your experiences, does the use of this app have a hit on the performance of the hub, or could the problem be elsewhere?

would have to add it as an option.

i will test this out later tonight when going to sleep. :slight_smile:

i will test and get back to you.

@bangali, thanks. I found that rebooting the hub improved performance but I do still find that I am getting some random results from your app, which I initially thought could have been down to performance of the hub.

1. Occasionally I could walk into a room, which changed to occupied, but the light would not turn on. This was not due to any restrictions or lux level requirements being in place.

2. When I have adjacent room occupancy enabled to initiate checking I found that when walking from the kitchen into the hallway this would not happen. It was not until the motion sensor in the kitchen had become inactive and the hall motion sensor had gone to inactive and back to active, that the checking would be initiated in the kitchen.

tried the asleep with motion light on and the light stayed on while I was moving. so have not been able to reproduce. doesn’t mean the issue is not happening in certain cases but possibly happening under conditions I am not replicating.

but in reading your second post it reminds me of my initial experience. I had to add a couple of xbees as a zigbee repeater to get consistent results. maybe look into that? (search for xbee on the forum. on mobile so not able to post link to that thread conveniently)

Hi @bangali, with reference to issue 2, what logic have you used for this to work? When you walk out of a room into an adjacent room, as soon as motion becomes active in the adjacent room and you initiate checking, are you looking to see if motion is still active in the room you have just walked out of?

if this is the case then you are going to determine that there is still activity in the room you just walked out of due to the timeout of the motion detector still having the active status. I'm not entirely sure how you have got this logic setup but maybe my observations and the following suggestion may help.

The way I believe it should work is that you should initiate the checking when motion in the adjacent room is active and the motion in the room you have just walked out of goes to Inactive. If the motion timeout is the same for both rooms or shorter in the adjacent room then this won't work. Therefore you need to either ensure that the motion timeout is set to a longer period in the adjacent room (timeouts can be adjusted in the Xiaomi motion sensors in my case) or a timed flag needs to be set to override the adjacent rooms motion active status sufficiently long enough to see the Inactive status in the room you have just walked out of.

If there is still motion in the room, and the active status remains true then checking won't be initiated.

I hope this makes sense.

I'm having issues with the lux. I have a rule when occupied it should turn on the lights at 5000 lux. But the lights still turn on. Not sure why this is happening.

heres how these work:

for any adjacent rooms specified this room subscribes to motion active and motion inactive event for the adjacent room motion sensors.

for motion active events from those motion sensors:

• If motion in adjacent room check if person is still in this room?
    -- check if this room occupancy state is occupied. if this room is in occupied state and the rooms motion sensor is not active and last motion activity in this room happened before the motion activity in the adjacent room then checking state is triggered.
  • If moving through room turn on switches in adjacent rooms?
    -- if the this room state is vacant when there is motion from motions sensors in adjacent rooms checking state is triggered.

motion inactive events are only used to update the device tiles on ST so not relevant for HE.

it should be turning on the lights at or below 5000 lux. is that not working and lights are still turning on when lux is above 5000.