Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

Thanks for clarifying @bangali. That logic should work, but it isn't always working for me.

Do you see any big hits on performance of the Hub when using Room Manager? Would you say that from the extent that I am using your app, it could slow the Hub down, or have you not seen any effect with performance?

https://community.hubitat.com/uploads/default/original/3X/6/3/635c98eea0dacc7ccd8dea226b9d8f8c68ab020b.png

I have experienced a slow down of my hub recently, and have found that from detecting motion in a room to turning the light on can sometimes be as much as a couple of seconds. Also sometimes the light will come on but then turn off almost immediately. Not very consistent or reliable. This could be related to the performance of the hub or do you believe that this should not upset the running or the timing of the app?

I have 15 “rooms” setup on HE and don’t see any slowness. Here’s a couple of things:

1. Do you have mostly zwave or zigbee devices?
  2. If lots of zigbee devices have you looked into using xbee repeater?
  3. Any errors in the logs? Leave a browser window open to logs during times when home is most busy and check the logs after a few hours for any errors.

32 off Zigbee devices (majority of lights are on a hue bridge)
0 off Z-wave
10 off Wifi (Switches)

Some of the Zigbee devices are the Xiaomi motion sensors and buttons. I did have a few problems with these devices dropping off the network so invested in 3 off Ikea Power Outlets, which also act as repeaters. Do you feel that there is still the need for xbee repeaters?

I will check this out later today.

Thanks for your efforts in producing this great app

heres what i would try:

1. take the light bulbs for one room off the hue bridge and direct connect to the hub. check if the response timings are any different. the procedure for this should be in the forums but please check first what you will need to both remove and later add it back to the hub bridge.

2. dont use wifi switches so not sure of their response speeds.

3. get a zigbee sniffer and check the zigbee routing for those devices. or better yet get a xbee and check the routing for your devices without adding it to the HE network. then if the routing isnt what is should be you can always add the xbee to the HE network. all steps around this should be in the xbee thread.

you are welcome.

Thanks @bangali.

I was under the impression that it is a recommendation to have all lights connected directly to the Hue Hub rather than to HE. I presume this is due to maintenance of the bulbs in relation to firmware updates etc? Do you have all your bulbs directly connected to HE? I do understand that you are suggesting I try this just on one room to compare the response times, however I am interested in how you have set things up.

right having the hue bridge is the recommended option. I have direct connected devices because I don’t need the functions the bridge provides. but I also use a mix of sengled, ikea, sylvania and hue bulbs. right this is for testing only to see if it makes any difference.

Yea they stay on, even if the lux is below the value...

Hi @bangali, I'm trying to get your great looking app configured and I'm running into a problem. The room I'm configuring is an office. It does not have a motion sensor, but I have 2 power meters on the computers which I was hoping to use to establish occupancy. From what I understand, setting Engaged Power should prevent the Require motion countdown from starting, but this doesn't seem to be happening. The countdown always starts, even if the power level from the meter is higher than Engaged Power.

Am I misunderstanding how this should behave?

1 Like

is the power consistently higher than the level you have set or does it fluctuate? could you share the settings for the room from view all settings?

I have the power threshold set to 20 and the computer runs consistantly above 100w. It's currently mostly idle at 126w.

Here are the settings:

ROOM OCCUPANCY DEVICE:
Room child device ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ Child device OK

ROOM SENSOR SETTINGS:
Power device ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 2

OCCUPIED SETTINGS:
Motion timeout ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 300 seconds

ENGAGED SETTINGS:
Busy check ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ No traffic check
Engaged button type ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ doubleTapableButton
Button device ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 1
Button number ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 1
Only sets ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ true
Engaged power ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 20 watts
From vacant ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ true
From occupied ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ true
Stays below ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 30 seconds
Require motion ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 1,800 seconds

CHECKED SETTINGS:

VACANT SETTINGS:
Vacant button type ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ doubleTapableButton
Button device ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 1
Button number ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 2

ASLEEP SETTINGS:

LOCKED SETTINGS:

AUTO LEVEL SETTINGS:

TEMPERATURE SETTINGS:
Temperature sensor ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 1
Fan switch ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 1

HOLIDAY LIGHT SETTINGS:

RULE SETTINGS:
Rules:
1: State=[engaged, occupied] Type=Execution ON=1
2: State=[engaged] Type=Temperature Fan On=75.0 Fan Increment=2.0

ADJACENT SETTINGS:

ANNOUNCEMENT SETTINGS:

GENERAL SETTINGS:

interesting … please check how long after the room changes to engaged does the countdown start? does it allow you to clear the motion timeout field in engaged settings and save it?

The countdown starts pretty much immediately after the room changes to engaged. I can remove the motion timeout field but if I do that will the room ever automatically switch to vacant once the computers go to sleep?

yep … thats exactly what we need to test on this one :slight_smile:

edit: was checking to see if there is a virtual power driver i could use to test … but there isnt one of those :frowning:

The mode did switch to vacant 30 seconds after the computer went to sleep as expected. Should the Engaged power and Stays below settings be preventing the countdown from starting or is that only used with motion sensors?

so were you able to clear the require motion field and save the settings? if yes, does that stop the countdown timer from starting when power stays above?

the engaged power and stays below should only be used for the power sensor values and not for use with the motion sensor.

Yep. I cleared the Require motion field and put the computer to sleep. That set the countdown timer to 0. When I put the computer to sleep, the mode switched to vacant 30 seconds later.

I'm wondering if I'm just misunderstanding how this works. Does the Require Motion setting only work if you have a motion sensor? I assumed I could use it for a generic countdown timer once the computers were both asleep but maybe I should be using the Stays Below setting for this timer instead?

this is the correct behavior.

the require motion setting should only work when there is a motion sensor. but unfortunately it seems the bug here is that it also triggers the countdown when there is no motion sensor.

now that you have cleared the require motion field … check if the countdown is still triggered when the power stays above and room changes to engaged?

When I clear the require motion field, the countdown timer shows as 0s in the device page for the room.

The same problem is happening in another room that has a power meter on a TV as well as a motion sensor. The countdown is still being triggered even with the motion sensor in that room and the power staying above the threshold.

why is this a problem? the countdown timer should stay at 0s and only trigger a change once the power falls below the engaged power value for stays below for specified number of seconds. does the room now stay engaged when the power value is over 20 and then go to vacant when the power value falls below 20 after the computer is shutdown/asleep?

share the settings for this second room please.

That's why I'm wondering if I'm simply misunderstanding the intended behavior. My assumption was that the countdown timer would start after the power fell below the threshold of 20. The reason I want the countdown is to give the occupants of the room time to wake their computer before the lights shut off. I can achieve the same effect by setting the Stays Below timer to a much higher value.

Here are the settings for the other room:

ROOM OCCUPANCY DEVICE:
Room child device ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ Child device OK

ROOM SENSOR SETTINGS:
Motion sensors ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 1
Which no motion ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ Last Motion Inactive
Lux sensor ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 1
Power device ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 1

OCCUPIED SETTINGS:
Motion timeout ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 300 seconds

ENGAGED SETTINGS:
Busy check ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ Medium traffic