Ring Gen 2 Keypad not arming/disarming

I just purchased this Ring Keypad and for the first time installed it this afternoon. I am running the new 2.2.6 software released yesterday.

• It included just fine to my C7 Hub. Included with the S2 Security
  • Used lock code manager to successfully add a couple of codes to the keypad
  • I am not linking it to HSM. The keypad is only going to be used to open/close a garage door with a Rule

The issue I am having is the codes I entered are not changing the 'securityKeypad' state from armed to disarmed. I can change the state by going into the device itself and clicking on the different states but nothing happens when I use the keypad to enter my 4 digit code.
My process is:

1. Enter 4 digit code
  2. Press either 'arm away' or 'arm home' button if it is disarmed
    or
  3. Press 'disarmed' button if it is armed.

If I go into the events it shows the successful code being entered by the 'lastCodeName' field changing and then in 2 thousandths of a second the 'armingin' event occuring. But it never changes the state

If I go into the logs, it shows nothing in terms of a error. Below is the log for the above events. The one strange thing is that I renamed the device to Garage door keypad when I included it but the logs are under 'Ring Alarm Keypad Gen2'. Could that be the problem? There is no device named 'Ring Alarm Keypad Gen2' in my device list and all the lines in the log refer to my 'Garage door Keypad' device.

the armed status is set from HSM

Thanks Bryan for the quick reply!

@bcopeland For the life of me I cant get the Ring Keypad to change the state of HSM. I turned on HSM and selected the Keypad to arm/disarm. Now when I arm/disarm within the HSM app it changes the state of the keypad to arm/disarm but not the other way around. Entering a valid code in the Keypad still does not change the state of keypad or HSM.
What the heck am I missing?

Can you turn on debug logging for the device and arm / disarm from the device and post the logs.. cover up the code obviously..

• I enabled debug logging at 11:26am.
  • There were a couple of errors before that time so I grabbed them for you to see.
  • The first three lines circled and named manual were done by clicking armAway, then disarm, then armHome within the device itself
  • the next set of circled items were when we tried to use two different codes to disarm from the keypad

And here is a screen shot of the device page in case that can help. I do have all the delays set to zero.

Not immediately sure why that didn't work.. So you entered the code and hit disarm.. and it didn't disarm?

And this was after it was added to HSM right?

Correct. Entered the code and pressed disarm. And it was already added to HSM as well.

I decided to exclude the device and re-include it to see if it would make a difference. And it did. The keypad codes were arming/disarming consistently up until I manually armed it within the device page. Once I did that, the keypad would no longer unarm it. Not until I manually unarmed it from the device page would the keypad once again arm/disarm and it worked consistantly.

Basically the keypad does not like it when something else arms or disarms it other than a code being entered. It becomes out of sync in some way. I checked the log and there is no errors.

Since this is going to run a garage door, I have a rule:
Unarm = raise garage door
Arm = Lower garage door

The rule also includes logic that if the door is manually closed that it Arms the keypad, and if it is manually opened that is unarms the keypad. This is to keep the keypad disarm/arm in sync with the door being open/closed.

During testing, when I manually closed the door, the keypad changed to armed (like it should by the rule) but then the keypad would no longer work to disarm the system. Not until I manually opened the door which by rule disarmed the keypad would the keypad once again arm/disarm.

Once again, the keypad does not like it when something other than a code is entered to either disarm or arm. Once it is disarmed or armed manually the keypad does not work until it is once again manually changed to what it was before. Then the keypad works again.

Let me know what I can do to help debug this. Definitely strange but hopefully this is enough info for you to work with .

Ouch.. Sounds like a bug.. I’ll check into that

1 Like

@Levahj, I am trying to do the same thing as you, except in my case I want to control a lock. I have a Kwikset lock that has no keypad. The ornamentation on our front door doesn't allow for one and I hoped I could use one of these as an replacement.

I guess I don't understand what I need to do. I setup HSM and I have lock code manager and I was able to put all my codes on the keypad. When I enter the codes and press arm/disarm I never get any events from the keypad, nor does anything show in the logs. I can manually arm and disarm on the device page but not using the lock codes.

Could you step me through how you did it with your garage door opener.

It has been a while now and I dont have it set up at my own home. It was for a client's home and we never did final testing.

What you are seeing seems strange to me. Below you will see my WebCore rule that I never did a final test on but I think would work. It is the field named 'securitykeypad' which would change from either 'armed home' or 'armed away' to 'disarmed when entering your code on the keypad.

I will try to get the keypad back home and test it a bit and if I can I will let you know but 'securitykeypad' is what is triggering the rule.

Thanks. It must be something wrong with the codes. I can make rules but first I need to see some events form the keypad when I input the codes.

Maybe I need to remove and install again. I can also get the arm and disarm announcements when using HSM just not when entering my codes.

This seems correct, right?
keypadpng

Your current states look right, but mine has two more:
'armingin' - I beleive this is just how long it takes to arm after entering a code. I have mine set to zero (sec or minutes, cant remember)
'lastcodename'

not sure why you do not have these extra two fields.

You should definately be seeing events. This is a screen shot of the events page of my keypad. Every enter of a code creates 3 events within 200ms .

1. who entered the code
  2. the armingin delay that is set.
  3. the change in the 'securitykepyad' field

I would remove and reinstall to see if that works . Make sure you have the correct device handler assocated with it!

Thanks for looking again. I decided I really don't like the looks of it, and it doesn't really work the way I would like. So I decided I am just sending it back.

I seem to have the exact same issue a year later. What am I doing wrong?
I can arm and disarm the keypad from the device page in HE. I can trigger the siren from the device page in HE. When I arm or disarm from the device page in HE it arms and disarms my DSC panel via the Envisalink app/driver just fine. But I cannot arm and disarm FROM the keypad itself???? I have created a user code and it even displays in the device page the user code I created.

I have removed and reincluded multiple ways. I used the smart start, and I notice that when I scan the QR code, it created the device in the smart start multiple times. Either way, I have readded multiple times and it always results in the same non-functionality.
I seem to have a limited number of states
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 1.46.16 AM

here is my log

So i just submitted updates to the Ring Keypad driver and i may have a explination. It may be related to how your integration gets the status from the device.

The action of the physical key code and alarm activation is different from just pressing the command button in the UI

What driver are you using to integrate with your DCS system. Can you look at the details for that integration. By this i mean click on the gear next to the app name. Scroll down to the subscriptions and look at what it is subscribed to on the keypad and post it. That would help us identify if that is being updated for your integration.

I am not even worried about the dsc Envisalink part right now. If I arm or disarm via the ring keypad gen2 device driver, the dsc alarm arms and disarms just fine. The issue is the communication with the keypad is 1 way. To the keypad only. This is evident in the logs for the keypad itself. No matter what I do on the keypad, there is no activity in the log. The only activity in the log is when I send a command to the keypad (i.e. arm or disarm, and the keypad arms and disarms accordingly)I just downloaded the community driver for the ring g2 keypad about 2 hours ago, so it should be up to date. I have cycled the add and remove about 16 times today. Spent almost 10 hours trying to get the keypad to send anything. But nothing seems to work.

Ok, please enable debug logging. Clear the logs. Press 9999 and the the Arm Home button. And post the logs here.

Do you get a red wireless emblem on the keypad when you do that.

As you can see. Nothing happens. Zero activity from the keypad. No red symbol or anything happens on the keypad. It just beep boop bop beep boop. The proximity’s sensor clearly works as well. The lights come on them I get near it. I can disable the proximity sensor in HE and it does indeed disable it.