Ring Alarm Keypad

If anyone gets one of the 1st gen on a C-7 hub, let me know... I have questions...

Namely: volume.

• Can it be raised/lowered from Hubitat?
  • Can it be turned off/muted completely (for keypad in bedroom - I don't want beeping when arm/disarm happens)

Yes

Yes

1 Like

Itā€™s not in the driver currently.. Because they are labeled for specific panic functions.. And you have to hold down the button for a few seconds for it to activate..

But if people want it to map to buttons.. It can be done

1 Like

@bcopeland already answered, but in the event itā€™s useful to anyone, Iā€™ve got some in the mail after an impulse purchase. Can/will report back once I get them and pull the C-7 out of the box.

2 Likes

Any reason that the keypad cant operate like a 12+ button remote/scene controller or does it just work as a keypad for an alarm or similar?

It utilizes the Security Keypad capability for itā€™s primary functions.. The way the device functions it wouldnā€™t make a good button device..

SecurityKeypad Capability

SecurityKeypad

Device Selector

capability.securityKeypad

Driver Definition

capability "SecurityKeypad"

Attributes

codeChanged - ENUM ["added", "changed", "deleted", "failed"]

codeLength - NUMBER

lockCodes - JSON_OBJECT

maxCodes - NUMBER

securityKeypad - ENUM ["disarmed", "armed home", "armed away", "unknown"]

Commands

armAway()

armHome()

deleteCode(codeposition)

codeposition required (NUMBER) - Code position number to delete

disarm()

getCodes()

setCode(codeposition, pincode, name)

codeposition required (NUMBER) - Code position number

pincode required (STRING) - Numeric PIN code

name optional (STRING) - Name for this lock code

setCodeLength(pincodelength)

pincodelength required (NUMBER) - Maximum pin code lentgh for this keypad

setEntryDelay(entrancedelay)

entrancedelay required (NUMBER) - Entrance delay in seconds

setExitDelay(exitdelay)

exitdelay required (NUMBER) - Exit delay in seconds

1 Like

If anyone gets the 1st gen ring keypad to work, I'd appreciate it if they could record an MP3 of the various sounds it's capable of. How many sounds will it make?

The keypads arrived today, so I unboxed one. I attempted to join one via SmartStart and the QR code, because why not.

Weā€™ll see if this ends up working or if the restart trick will be required similar to some of my other S2 enabled devices. Itā€™s been sitting at ā€œincluded, pendingā€ in the app for a while. Within the hub on the zwave details It doesnā€™t appear to have fully joined. Itā€™s showing up with the discover button present.

Will let it sit for awhile, before I resort to trying the shutdown/restart.

Just an FYI @bcopeland I know you guys are looking into similar issues on other devices, but just wanted to call out this one as well.

Edit: ended up restarting and then clicking discover. At that point it finally fully joined.

Hmm is it expected that the beep, mute, unmute, strobe, siren, volume commands donā€™t do anything?

Ok been playing around with them a bit over the last day and a half and I canā€™t really figure out what the expected functionality is for these.

They hook into HSM and lock code manager alright. I can enter a pin and get them to arm/disarm.

But other than that, there is no feedback from the device that itā€™s doing anything. No visual/audio indicator that would identify itā€™s arming or dIsarming. It doesnā€™t do anything if an HSM alert goes off, doesnā€™t make any noises at all apart from beeping when the numbers are selected.

All of the commands displayed within the device page also donā€™t seem to do anything, wonā€™t mute, volume wonā€™t change, the siren/strobe/beep/play sounds buttons donā€™t do anything. I see a zwave log each time one of these is pressed, which I assume to mean a zwave command is sent, but even with debug turned on for the device no log event is generated (unlike for arm/disarm/pin entry, I see debug logs for those)

So all that to say, Iā€™m not sure if my expectations of what the device has functionality wise is off or if something isnā€™t working quite right. Could be related to the S2 funkiness I have with other devices? Itā€™s a mystery to me at the moment.

Should also mention both were joined via SmartStart via the QR code and the only S2 grant checked was S2 class 2 If that matters at all.

Try pressing configure for the keypad, then see if beep/siren respond. If not then I would recommend removing it from any apps it is associated with, then remove being sure to exclude and then include the keypad again.

The keypad will give a count down tone, says away and armed after counting down, says disarmed 2x, kind of stutters during the first as it seems to get cut off by the second disarmed message. Also sirens on alarm. Not a full list, but just to give you an idea of what you should expect once functional.

2 Likes

I had written all of the below after trying multiple times. I rejoined for a 3rd time on one of them and at least for that one, it seems to have finally taken. I didnā€™t even have to reboot the hub to get the device to initialize. So whatever is going on, it appears to be very inconsistent.

The only thing I see different debug log wise, is the one that fully joined displayed this log entry.

Association Report - Group: 1, Nodes: [01]

I guess Iā€™ll take the win. Time to see if I can get the other one to cooperate...

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

Just to double check, youā€™ve joined one to a C-7 and it providing that functionality? Or is that how it functions when hooked up directly to ring?

Iā€™ve done multiple exclusions, Iā€™ve hit the configure button multiple times, I moved the keypads to a foot of the hub to join/exclude, Iā€™ve factory reset them, and have done any number of hub reboots (which I have to do to get them to initialize at all.

This is on a C7, I do not own a ring alarm. Currently only have a Ring Range Extender 2 and two Gen 1 Ring keypads on the hub with a virtual contact sensor I added this morning to test things for you. I am waiting to migrate my C5 until the new Backup Protection Service is available as I have 100+ devices on my C5.

Well the second one decided to successfully join as well.. not sure what changed other than me complaining about it.

I will accept the win, seeing similar behavior you called out above, including it talking over itself on arming/disarming. But Iā€™ll take it!

1 Like

I just tried exclude and include again and got the initializing but did not complete, so I rebooted and discovered like in other threads, however after it discovered it did nothing. Excluded and repaired and it went through completely the second time. When it paired properly it stayed disarmed immediately on the keypad.

Glad to see you are making progress on getting them included.

1 Like

Yep exactly what I experienced as well! Appreciate the testing!

1 Like

Just wanted to confirm, for the next person searching, that the 2nd Generation Ring Alarm Keypad does indeed work with the C7 Hubitat.

The zwave inclusion seemed to only partially work the first time for me. After not really being able to get it to function, I factory reset the device (find the pinhole in the back and hold it for 10 seconds until light flashes red).

After the reset, retried the inclusion. Process is to just hold the #1 button for 3 seconds and then release. If successfully in pairing mode, the green light flashes 3 times followed by a pause repeatedly. Once there, start the HE pairing and you're in.

I set it up in HSM first, and it immediately found the device. I then found Lock Code manager (thanks to @djw1191 comment above). With that in place, you type in the pin code and click the desired state, and it changes your HSM status.

2 Likes

And apologies, just to 100% confirm - it doesn't require the Ring Alarm Hub to operate?

Pretty sure, just double-checking.

The Gen 2 should pair and work natively with the C7.

1 Like

Was able to pair it but then unable to trap keypresses etc like I wanted. Found out it works through the Hubitat Safety Monitor - which was different than what I was initially thinking. Maybe there is a way but not sure..

Note: I have not tried the HSM route yet - other HA things got in the way.

HSM was my primary use case...

2 Likes