Ring Alarm Keypad

This device has a unique join sequence that currently seems to only work with S2 security. When we get S2 going we should be able to support this keypad without a problem.

Don't ask how or when S2 will roll, even if I knew exactly I wouldn't say anything anyway.

4 Likes

has it being finaly solved on C-7?

1 Like

Yes it has.. And there are built-in drivers in 2.2.2 for both gen1 and gen2 ring keypads. But that’s why it says next to them (C7 required)

3 Likes

Nice! More keypad options are definitely welcome.

1 Like

I actually recommend the Gen1 it has more features relevant to Hubitat and it’s cheaper

2 Likes

This is good news. Can't wait to try it.

1 Like

@bcopeland, Can you elaborate on what those features are? I've seen conflicting reviews on them, and would like one that could make a sound- perhaps during arming or when a door/window sensor is opened.

Better volume (can be set louder than the gen2)
Sound effects (chimes)

Both have internal rechargeable lithium ion batteries and can run off USB and support power failure monitoring if you leave it plugged in.

Gen2 has dedicated emergency buttons that have no real purpose in HE.

3 Likes

Whelp, just re-read the post, C-7 Required.. (Is that even available yet?) so this won't help me at all (C-5). Oh well.

Yep.. The device refuses to include if there is no S2

Stupid question that maybe you can't won't answer... But since S2 doesn't require a 700 series chip why can't we get S2 on the existing C-5 hubs (aka why does this require C-7 hub when it isn't Zwave 700 specific)?

2 Likes

@bravenel may choose to answer this one, but Bryan and I won't.

3 Likes

Ha, well this is theoretically something that could be done, but it is not a zero effort undertaking. We've been focused on getting C-7 ready to go.

I should add: We built an entirely new Z-Wave stack for C-7, one that supports S2. S2 is not an easy protocol to implement. Our C-5 Z-Wave stack does not support S2, and the effort to make it do so was scoped out to be a large effort (which is why you don't see many hubs supporting it). Could our new Z-Wave stack be made to run on a C-5? Maybe, but I can't see how we'd justify the effort, and frankly at this point, we've dined too long at the Z-Wave table as it is...

5 Likes

What does this mean?

(Not being facetious - really don’t know what that phrase means in this context)

Z-Wave requires an inordinate amount of engineering resource. We've been putting a lot of effort into it for quite some time. It gets old. It's not an easy protocol to implement.

Ha, so my answer to @JasonJoel should probably be: how much would you pay for it and how many others would do the same?

4 Likes

That makes sense. I was genuinely just curious, and wasn't trying to be critical at all. Maybe I shouldn't have been a smart arse by saying "won't" - I was trying to be funny.

I definitely wasn't aware that it would take so much effort to do it on the C-4/5 once it was done on the C-7. So thanks for the explanation.

I'm getting a C-7 or two either way, so I'm covered.

2 Likes

And my answer to that would be something (significantly) less than the cost of a C-7 + migration service cost. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that's what we figured too... And, we've got other great things to bring you that are more valuable....

5 Likes

Quit teasing. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Does the C7 HE support the extra buttons on the Gen2 keypad? For example, can we use the mode buttons to change the HE mode?