[Released] Rule 4.0

@mike great feedback. After reading your comments I stepped back through the process of creating a Rule in RM4 while thinking about where we had come from RM2 and RM3.

After creating a new rule I then went back and tried to edit an existing rule. Based on your comments I could see how there is still a bit of confusion around conditions and actions and how that was messing with me from the beginning with RM4 and even when I go back and edit an existing rule it still requires too much thinking.

After a user gets their head around how RM4 works they will be glad this shortcut to Conditions exist. IMHO it does need this little tweak to help all users, both experienced and new.

And then again IMHO this is needed to address your main point about seeing both Actions and Conditions.

I need to see the rule. I can't tell what you're talking about just showing an error message.

OK, after playing with it more, I found a way to get out of it.

When in the state of only being able to add an And/OR/XOR and if I select an existing option from the "Define Conditions" list, the UI remains with only allowing to do another add of And/OR/XOR. Selecting "Done with Action" only brings me back to adding another And/OR/XOR, no other options to edit, delete...

If I select to add a "---> New Condition" from the "Define Conditions" box, go through selecting something new like a virtual switch (in my test, anything new worked) then I am presented with the "Done with this Condition" button, now I have the "Done with Conditional Action", now the loop is complete and all editing options are back.

Time to squash this bug, at least I now know how to get out of the loop w/o starting over.

Thanks for your support

:slight_smile:
Rick

Further up, this thread is getting huge:

I still don't know how you got into this in the first place.

No, further up isn't any help here. I'm not able to search through this thread looking for the pieces. You're familiar with those posts but I'm not.

Please assemble the information in one place, by PM if you want. The rule, the Local Variables as they appear in the rule, the logs with the error message.

Need help "Custom Actions for Dummies"

I don't have any understanding for how "string, number, decimal" is properly used.
The rule I'm trying to accomplish goes like this.

Motion is Detected from Outside Sensor
Living Room TV Turns On (Normally turns on with HDMI 3)
Switch to HDMI 2 (where the POE camera's are on the TV) after 10 second delay giving TV time to boot

The rule I have is

But it doesn't quite work and I'm assuming it has something to do with the "parameter type" setting which is where I'm a dumb dumb.

Custom Actions assume you know what the command the driver expects looks like. Go to the device page, and look at the command there. It should show you the parameters (if any) it expects. Show us a screenshot of the device commands.

So there are no parameters for any of the HDMIx commands. Just skip the parameter portion of Custom Action.

I tried that yesterday and it didn't work.....however I think it may have had to do with the Pioneer AVR device I added yesterday, that I've had problems with the driver working properly with the TV and HE together. I've since removed that device again, and will try it out again without it possibly causing issues today and see.

Just wanted to make sure the "rule part" was written properly as I don't know anything about how to use the parameter type settings.

I was editing the If-Then statement. Selected to erase expression, completed the process to recreate the If-Then, the next time I selected "Select Actions to Run", all I was presented with is adding And/OR/XOR

Rick

What I think you did was to hit Done with Actions before hitting Done with Conditional Action. So, the fix for that is to hide the Done with Actions button until you hit Done with Conditional Action.

2 Likes

Thanks Bruce, I suspect you are correct, as I was just going to test out that theory, duplicated a working rule, one that I fixed this morning, then I came across this, now both the original rule and the copied rule are back in the same state.

When looking at the original Rule, it looks very complete

When I select "Select Actions to Run", to begin editing, I'm back to the bad state (with nothing done to try and edit), notice the If section is null.

When I edit the copied rule, it is working fine
Seems like something is being cached, somewhere
Rick

the link in my last post was to the rule. but here you go:

rule:

logs:

thoughts?

I'm still wrapping my head around RM4.0 coming from WC, so apologies if this seems like an overly convoluted way of achieving what I need.

I basically need a Bathroom lights on/off automation based on motion control AND an Aqara humidity sensor mounted in my shower. I also have a Centralite 3210 motion sensor (old iris sensor, super sensitive and reliable) mounted right next to my Toilet, which helps with my extended toilet sessions.

This is what I have so far after lots of trial and error, any tips to improve efficiency is appreciated.

That's a bug. Found and fixed for next release. Thanks.

There is indeed a bug here. I'm investigating it. It seems to occur as a result of certain, but not all, Edit Action on an IF-THEN action.

1 Like

@bravenel

What produces this error when all fields are populated in the rule?

Don't mind the fact that the rule doesn't do what I want, I'm asking why the error for this rule that appears to be formatted correctly

Rick

Look at your first IF..THEN. Missing something?