[RELEASE] Zooz Garage Door Opener

@willythekid do you have feedback tilt sensors on the doors? The Zooz garage door app is smart enough to not energize it's output if the door is already open and you tell it to open. Same goes for closing. Without the tilt sensors, it would be unpredictable what state the controller thinks the door is in.

Did you install the Zooz garage door app?
Do you have tilt sensors?

@DriftN2Forty - I did install the Zooz garage door app per their instructions along with a tilt sensor.

It seems the Zooz garage door app registers my request from the dashboard but does not activate the relay. Any idea why that signal is not going through? I'm ready to just set up the apps from scratch, and if that fails i'll set up the devices from scratch - just not sure why it stopped sending that signal.

Lists/Logs/Settings:

Go to Settings > Z-Wave Details

Look for the Zooz relay and note the Route

Examples are 01 -> 06 -> 0B ->40kbps or 01 - > 0F -> 100kbps

Also let me know what the stats are.

Stats for the multirelay are: 01 -> 09 40kbps

Thanks for all the help!

Is this app even supported anymore? Any replacements to recommend if not?

If bugs are found they'll be fixed and Zooz will help users troubleshoot issues, but there are no plans to add functionality...

@krlaframboise Yeah, I asked because on 2.2.8.156 I'm getting this when clicking create garage door. I don't know if I'm missing something or not.

Did you install both apps and the driver?

1 Like

@krlaframboise Ack!!!! Thought I'd installed the child app! That error is now gone... Thank you for your assistance BTW!!!

Feel like an idiot

Thought I would mention. I started having random issue with it not working. I went through a few cheap 1amp power supplies and finally used a good quality Anker supply and have not had any more issues.

1 Like

Kevin - just want to say thank you for this great app -- I finally got around to installing it for my Zen17 out in the ol' garage and it works a treat! My previous janky-&-patchy dashboard setup is now nicely consolidated to one tile here, and it's awesome.

Much appreciated!!

I posted in this other thread as well but haven’t yet had a reply.

Can anyone give me a comparison between this app/driver and this one?

Well, due to the MyQ API update breaking our automations, I just installed the Zooz Zen16 Zwave relay and a Liftmaster button and moved everything local. I just went through using both of these.

I tried the LGK one first and couldn't really get it to work right. I suppose it could be user error, but whatever. One thing that it does that I don't like is the LGK one immediately switches the contact status to open/closed when the command is issued and then waits 25 seconds for confirmation from the physical contact sensor and switches it back if they don't match. I prefer the contact sensor take priority. I had a couple instances in testing where it would immediately mark it as open or closed when in reality nothing was happening, but the contact changing to open or closed triggers other automations (lights), so it's important to me to be accurate and not "Oops, changing it back."

The Zooz one seems to do what I need and it indeed waits for the change in the physical contact sensor to change the status.

I think the LGK one was supposed to issue open and close commands, but I only got it to simulate a button push. That means that if it was open and someone came home and an automation wanted to open the door, the "button" would get pushed to open and the door would actually close. This created a weird situation where we both came home in the same car and it opened on the first presence change and immediately closed on the second presence. :-/

Anywho, This one appears to be working, so I've updated my automations and I'm going to run with this one for a while. It's crazy how spoiled we got this summer (new garage!) with the door automatically opening and closing on departure and arrival... until MyQ changed their API sending all of us looking for a local solution. In theory I'm done relying on MyQ.

1 Like

Are you using a tilt sensor? I would rely on that for open close status

Nice. Thanks for the feedback. I will try the Zooz one first.

1 Like

Yep, I use a tilt sensor. It was the immediate status change rather than waiting for the actual sensor to change that was tripping up my automations.

1 Like

Wanted to add another note of thanks and say it's working great with my completely not-Zooz setup as well (though I do actually own a zen17 and originally bought it for this purpose). I am using a shelly1 relay per garage door and a wired reed switch on the side towards the bottom mounted to wall with a rare earth magnet stuck to the side of the door. The shellys are setup with the switch in "detached" mode so it just reports the state and I use a couple button controller rules to drive a virtual contact sensor to open/closed based off the shelly's button events (held=closed, released=open). I was originally going to use another app that was specifically for this setup but that person/thread/code went POOF from the forums in between me buying the stuff and actually getting it set up.

1 Like

@dstutz, nice setup, a word a caution tho, be careful not to use too strong a magnet as you can damage the reed switch. I've killed a few in my day.

1 Like

Uh oh...those are really strong magnets. Never even thought about that. Thanks for the heads up.

Here's my setup. HE C5, multisensor, ZEN17, Garadget Security+ 2.0 dry contact adapter, plus this GDO app. Works mostly, but...

It seems to get "confused" if HE sends command before/after push button is used. It also appears to leave the contact "on" at times (though set for 2 second auto-off).

Here's an example - "Hello" routine triggers when Life360 (yeah, I know Internet reliance) triggers an arrival. Have 15 second delay then open garage door. But door wasn't opening yesterday when I got to driveway so I pushed the remote in the car - door started opening. THEN HE sent the open and because there is no such thing as open/close and is really on/delay/off the GDO stopped in the middle of the open cycle.

I also have a delay 2 minutes then close in that routine but if we manually close the door before that triggers then the rule actually opens the door - because on/delay/off and then the app has no idea what to do.

I suspect a workaround would be to first check to see if the door is opening/closing/open/closed prior to sending the open/closed commands, but might be better if GDO app only triggered "open" or "close" based on current status of door.