[UPDATED] Weewx Weather Driver With External Forecasting

daily.json isn't being generated and I am assuming it needs to be referenced in a file to do this but for the life of me I can't find any mention of this in your first post where to make that edit. Help ?

There is quite a bit of ā€˜post installā€™ configuration to be done to configure weewx

John Hoke posted some detailed instructions here:

Andy

If you really get stuck then I have a Pi disk image with this all configured (except you need to update the json file with the new one)

Let me know if you want a copy.

Andy

Can't do a image as its on a production PI.

Can't you just grep daily.json.tmpl in the Standard skin and see where its being generated at ?

I'm sorry, it was a long time ago that I set this up and linux is not my thing.
I can only really support the driver that I wrote.
Perhaps @bptworld or @SmartHomePrimer can be of more help

The thread that I linked to previously was what I used to setup things originally (I think!)

Andy

Found the missing instructions you need to add...

First of all this can be added to ANY theme not just the Standard.

Download the daily.json.tmpl into the theme you are using and follow below.

Edit your theme skin.conf

Add

[[[json]]]
        template = daily.json.tmpl

Somewhere around other templates that are being generated at. Save and restart weeWX or wait for the next generation of templates.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info

After doing this, is everything working for you now?

Andy

Yup......

Except all your Ā° was translated into ļæ½C or ļæ½F

So maybe the file needs to be edit and saved as UTF-8

1 Like

Can you add that info in the first post so others won't have to search the thread for the answer ?

Done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad you figured this all out. Sorry for the misdirection. I should stop myself from those early morning replies. Honestly the Weewx setup was such a pain for me. Was completely elated when I got it working, but like so many, it's an experience I just want to put behind me :wink:. I spent so many late nights/early mornings doing the same thing you're doing, even with Andy's image, I had done something wrong (which I also cannot remember) and it was just such a pain to get going.

I now just have an image setup and will just re-image when needed. I actually did a really stupid thing and didn't record the admin password I changed. So now I can get into it to change anything :joy: There's a way to reset passwords, but because I'm working with a Pi Zero W, the procedure kills the WiFi and then I can't login! :rofl:

The Google Group can be a helpful resource too (sort of), because they know Weewx so well. Just some of their replies I found a bit hard to follow and really specific to their particular setup.

I should re-write the install instructions for Andy.

As for resetting the root password on PI is simple. Mount the sd card in windows or linux and edit the file /etc/shadow

First line is root
Edit to something like this
root::17567:0:99999:7:::

What you want to get rid of is the part in the first ::

So if yours is something like this.......

root:$6$YCrtvntR:17567:0:99999:7:::
You want to remove $6$YCrtvntR

1 Like

I thought the install instructions for the driver were sufficient :slight_smile:
Thatā€™s all I created/support :wink:

lol ok but I got a feeling that's going to change on Jan 1, 2019

Most probably..
I will probably have to rewrite the api calls for the forecast data.

Iā€™ll look in the new year.

Andy

I looked at the new API and it's just not worth it. IBM has nearly crippled weather API data.

I am stopping data to them on Dec. 31, 2018 because of their fuckery.

1 Like

I only need a couple of bits of forecast data.
Everything else comes from my pws.

Thanks. Will try this method after the holidays.

How does the APIXU set its location ? If I go to their website and use my zip code it gices me 3 locations to choose from. How do I set the closest to me ?

never mind

3 Likes