[RELEASE] SmartWings Motor Shades

Anyone here tried out the drapery motors? Interested to see how they compare to the blinds both in ease of integrations and build quality. Wonder if they use the same motor commands and if we can use the same driver here to run them.

They should work with the same driver.

Disclaimer for anyone looking into the Honeycomb Shades or are having issues with them currently. The Honeycomb Shades were poorly designed by burying the motor modules right inside metal valence. This causes the signal to be completely shielded from everything except for straight up to the sky...which unless your hub is located anywhere except for up...will have issues getting connection. I was having connectivity issues and thought it was my lack of repeaters. I struggled for ages could not figure out why until I stumbled up this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/15gm60k/smartwings_zwave_honeycomb_blackout_blinds/

I tried doing the fix myself and found that the Zigbee antenna supplied is literally wired enclosed in a sticker, so you cannot drill a hole and loop it outside the valence. Fortunately Smartwings' customer service has been nothing but stellar. They sent me new module boxes with holes drilled in and a new style of antenna similar to the Z-wave modules. I installed them and looped the antenna to the front of the valence and secured it neatly using some double-sided mounting tape. Was instantly able to pair and hold connect with the hub. Smartwings has informed me they're not shipping all Honeycomb blinds with this fix now, so +1 for their customer service! Gonna now buy more and setup the rest of my house with these blinds.

I'm not understanding, maybe I should explain more.

I have this custom driver setup and if I go into the device I can open and close it no issue.

If I go to create a group and click the dropdown next to dimmers, I get nothing. Same with Bulbs and Switches. Just nothing shows at all. So I can't create a group to then try to integrate into Google.

In Groups and Scenes, I click Create New Group and my shades show up in the dimmer pulldown.

Can Smartwing shades belong to more than one Hubitat group. Or can they be set up to participate in different scenes?

Hey Y'all. Figured out that Apple Home through HomeBridge is expecting inverted values for setPosition and position. I released version 1.0.3 to add a new config option to override these values, so they work with Apple Home. If you don't enable that config, the driver will work without any changes, if you do enable that config, don't use setPosition or position in automations unless you invert the values (0 = 100, 100 = 0).

1 Like

Does anyone know if they do or have issued firmware updates? I don't see anything on their site or hear no mention of it. Since these are relatively new blinds, and they are already making changes ,see separate post on the antennas in honeycomb blinds, I imagine a firmware update is possible.

Yes, looks like the shades driver has been updated 3 weeks ago: History for Packages/Smartwings - diosadentro/Hubitat · GitHub

They dont support firmware updates

Thanks for that info. I need one that is 94"

Looking through my logs I noticed these two errors:

Device 969 is the Kitchen Shade and Device 954 is my Office Shade. (I also have three living room shades, but they don't generate the error?)

It looks like line 202 has to do with battery levels. Just over a month ago, I charged all the shades to 100%, but shortly after they all reported battery levels of 50-60%. After over a month, all five shades remain between 48-58%. (The drop may have happened around the last driver update, but I don't know for sure.)

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this error?

Is there a similar custom/user driver (that supports setlevel for use in Groups/Scenes App) that supports the Z-Wave model of SmartWings motor - I know there is a system/built-in driver that's recognized during the Zwave device add, and seems to work as expected - it just don't have the Set Level capability to include (as a dimmer) in Groups/Scenes. - Or if needed, I can go the "virtual shades driver" approach, and gang/mirror responses to the physical devices via RM

Or is a revised group/scenes app update to include blinds / shades still planned for the near future?

Did you ever find something?

I have the zigbee versions as well as zwave and the levels are reversed.

I have been using the Room Lighting app on Hubitat to manage my group of zigbee smartwing shades. It works as expected now.

You just create a virtual shade, use that to control the other shades.

I am having some issues adding some new blinds and getting them to work reliably. I have 5 blinds already in the house that mostly behave. I added 2 more that behave. And I added 5 more in the room next door and they are not behaving.

I am trying out a couple of things but wanted to get some advice. These blinds add fine - and then work fine immediately after adding.

Later I will go to use them and see the following:

Blind is closed. Send open. Status changes to opening, blind does nothing. At this point the blind is stuck - refresh, configure, nothing get it to update and tell me that it is closed and not opening. If I tell it to open with the Smartwings remote, the status in Hubitat immediately updates as the blind is closing and then closed.

Any thoughts on what is happening here? Without the ability to refresh there is nothing I can do to recover from this other than manually adjust the blind. I assume it is a mesh issue but I put a hub directly in the room and it did the same thing.

Thanks for any pointers.

Zigbee or Zwave? - How does your mesh look?

No - I just ended up going with a Virtual Shade, that can accessed in Alexa, and then some simple RM logic to manipulate the "actual shade Z-Wave devices" - I never did see a Z-Wave specific driver that supports setLevels. I even looked at the code of the SmartWings Zigbee version, and it didn't look like a 1->1 port to Z-wave, so I just opted for the Virtual shade approach.

Ultimately, this worked OK, as I've been adding other logic in the rules, based on various modes, outdoor lux, time-of-day, etc to adjust positions for given shades in the group - Which I would never expect a simple group to do. So ulimately, doing this with a virtual shade, and RM to mirror postions to the actual shade devices (with other logic tossed in), likely is where I would have ended up anyways.

I think this driver is only Zigbee? But they are Zigbee. I never know how to assess the mesh.

Looking at the network map doesn’t tell me much as the blinds only show up when you refresh them.

But perhaps they are pointers on how to evaluate what the mesh looks like that I can use to help evaluate here?

But it’s weird that they will get stuck in the opening or closing position in Hubitat and not respond to a refresh until I use the smartwings remote to move them.

Ok this is frustrating. I was re-adjusting my honeycomb blinds upper and lower limits because I noticed the set heights were drifting and a few of my blinds were coming down uneven. I chalked it up to the blinds closing too tight and somehow pulling the lines on both sides unevenly. While I was re-adjusting the blinds, I accidently hit the button combo that put a set of them into pairing mode. Even though the pairing timed out, my HE can no longer connect to the set of blinds and they show as offline. I tired putting them into pairing mode again and used the add device feature to repair the devices, which HE successfully found...but they still appear as offline. Is this a problem with HE or the way how SmartWings wrote their Zigbee implementation? I am getting pretty frustrated with the Zigbee motors. They are pretty darn bad at staying connected on my Honeycomb blinds. The mediocre build quality is definitely starting to show it's ugly head with the poor connectivity issues and uneven raising and lowering.