[RELEASE] OwnTracks for Hubitat Presence Detection

Can someone share experience of using these additional settings:

And how these settings affect battery usage? I could test all of these but if someone has an experience of it already.

The "since" state is updating with every ping sent from device even when remaining within a region. Started with 1.6.24 I believe. Before it was only changing when the location changed.

The lastLocationtime will update with each incoming location, since should only do it if it's detected a change in position from where you were before. What does the distanceFromHome field display? If you get a movement, from a past location (should be locked to home if in home) then it will update the since time.

Here is the result of a single ping. This is what each one looks like.

No problem! I stumbled through weeks trying to figure out best balance of power/performance.

The wording around "high accuracy location" is switching the slider on the first page to enable GPS locations. That's the one that has the greatest battery impact (not a show stopper, but does consume more).

• Enable high accuracy reporting when location is between region radius and this value:
    • When a user is between the home geofence radius and this radius, the app will switch the user to use high accuracy/high frequency reporting to ensure presence triggers operate correctly.
  • High accuracy reporting is used for home region only when selected, all regions if not selected:
    • If selected, then high accuracy reporting only occurs in the geofence around home. If deselected, high accuracy reporting will be used on all regions. Note: This will increase battery consumption.

Changes th phone from wifi/cellular locations (lower power) to GPS (higher power) in the region between your phone radius and this secondary radius to ensure you get fresh locations for presence detection (high accuracy location). Think of this as a circle around a place, and then a larger circle around that same place. When you are inside the small circle or outside the large circle, power is low. When you are in that area between the small and large circles, power is higher.

• Request a high accuracy location from members on their next location report after a ping/manual update to keep location fresh (Android ONLY):
    • If selected, members reporting stale locations will be requested to send a high accuracy location on their next location report
  • Automatically request a high accuracy location from members on their next location report if their 'Last Location Fix' is stale (Android ONLY)
    • If selected, members reporting a ping or manual location will be requested to send a high accuracy location on their next location report

Changes the phone from lower power to high power for a single location update on the ping interval (defaults to 30-minutes). This has minimal/no noticeable battery impact and ensures the Android app doesn't get into a stale location state that requires a restart (seen that a couple of times before adding this feature).

If this is selected on the main screen, then the above settings are basically always on:

The easiest way to confirm if the GPS setting is going to be problematic for your battery requirements is to set the slider in "Advanced Mobile App Settings" for "Use GPS for higher accuracy/performance", and then add your phone to get the update from the Maintenance box. All of the above toggles that slider on/off in the background as required (unless you manually select it, then it's always on).

1 Like

Are you using that "Use GPS for higher accuracy" slider in the Advanced Mobile App settings?

One of the tiles is lying to me! (The others are fine)

Oh wait. I think I see what the deal is. If you go to that device, in the states section, the sinceTime there should be the last time the device moved, correct?

If you refresh that screen, does it fix itself? I've seen that sometimes those attributes require a browser refresh.

No I am not. I have 2 devices behaving the same.

I had a situation yesterday when one of the members got an update right outside the boundary of "home," and since "home" was close enough, it wasn't considered a "significant change", so it was never present.

I wonder if changing one of those settings can help?

Should be, yes. That's how it was behaving before.

I does not. I tried to disable Create a HTML MemberTile, save preferences and enable it again, and it didn't help either.

Here's a result of a single ping where the since time didn't change.

The "chatty" ping seems to be where the problem occurs.

The tile only gets built when I location comes in. I can change that in the next version. Let me look into this more. It's pulling the "present" during building the tile to give you red/green so that one is odd....

I'll check into this.

It might be that I triggered the "arrived" manually for this device by invoking the "arrived" command (that's why). Is it possible that you don't trigger tile rebuild on manual "arrived" invocation?

Thanks @lpakula - the latest update this morning fixed the issue. I'm on a C8.

1 Like

EDIT........
Forget the questions below.
I did some testing by changing the co-ordinates and have confirmed how it works.

When I move to another location it says I'm there but still shows as away.
Home,Home is now Home.

Thanks for this @lpakula. A truly fantastic app.
I'm now having a play and have defined 3 regions one of which is home.
I've only just defined this and have not yet moved away from my home location.
Can you just confirm something for me.
When I move out of my home region and into one of my other regions that is defined, I assume the 'location' attribute will show the region name I have moved in to.
Also I've noticed that the location attribute shows 'Home,Home'.
Is this because I've not actually moved in anger so to speak or is this how it will be displayed.
Once again, many thanks for this. :+1:

Tile looking good, how do I make it full screen no matter what dashboard height or width I use?

The Dashboard Map Tile works good on a Windows Computer, but on the Amazon Fire Tablet the dashboard Map Tile only has the red color and the text, no MAP. Any ideas why the Fire Table won't display the MAP, I have tried all the local access token URL and Fire still only show the red background with text. Thanks!

This is what I see on a Amazon Fire Tablet. On a Windows computer in a chrome I see the Map.