[RELEASE] OwnTracks for Hubitat Presence Detection

Working now after a reboot.
Ahh the beta. :wink:

2 Likes

There is no way for Hubitat to push information back to the mobile app. When the app sends a location to Hubitat, that gets pulled back as part of the response. So if you want the map to update when looking at it, you'd need to tap the up arrow (send location) button to retrieve the friends locations back.

1 Like

@djh_wolf I should add if you configure the HE app with a Google maps API key, then you can add a shortcut to the cloud web link for the google family map to your phone desktop. That will automatically refresh when its open in a browser.

1 Like

Yes I've added the family map already.

It baffled me that the android app wasnt showing any location change for the wife, but the family map was.

Basically, at the moment there's limited point in seeing the wife's location on the android app as I'd definitely need to remember to manually send a location update to see an up to date version of her location. Clunky.

It looks like the only way to see live updates on there is to install a broker. I assumed the recorder would accomplish the same but I had a go at installing docker etc this evening (on windows) and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a basic idiots guide to getting it up and running. The links I've found assume a level of familiarity.

Displaying the family map is interesting through sharptools, but the zoom level isn't polished as default. I'm sure there's some clever html trick which might tidy things up, but that's clearly beyond me.

Many thanks for the work, again. Great stuff!

Hubitat doesn't support MQTT natively, so using a broker means you cannot use the HE app I built.

Currently, when you open the family map, it will zoom out to show all family members. If you click on your wife's pin, it will zoom in and then follow her. More you click on her pin, the more the zoom. Once you click once, you can use the google maps +/- buttons to zoom in and out. If you click anywhere off a person's pin, then it will zoom out and then revert to a zoom level that shows all members again.

That was all "this feels like it works" when I did it. Something that can change if a better/more optimal solution is suggested.

2 Likes

FWIW, the logic of the current experience made/makes sense to me, and has worked well for me. I'm happy w/it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think it's ace. I was just confused by the gui on the android app.

I think if you pretty much install the android app and forget about it, and rely on the bits produced by your hubitat software, it's amazing.

I think the 'niggle' was down to my lack of understanding.

You've done a fantastic job!

I'm going to be really, really cheeky and kindly request that some additional (idiot-proof) instruction is provided to install docker/etc to show how to make use of past locations and breadcrumbs.

/ begs

Yes, It has that built in map, but honestly, it's more of "just an engine" to send the locations to the hub.

Let me go back and revisit the HE app layout and those directions when I have a moment. I was doing a lot of focus on getting the backend robust and a useable UX for dashboards. Now that it's had some soak, I can check if it's still confusing! :joy:

1 Like

yup.

Awesome!

Does anyone know why my Home location "Parrish's House" is listed twice?

I have tried removing it from all devices, but it keeps popping up again. And of course, it pops up twice in the regions on the phones also.
HE OwnTracks v1.7.40

Do you see both instances in the HE app under Regions? If so you should be able to delete it from the app. And IIRC, you need to select the users that you want to delete it from.

@kb9gxk

You need to manually remove this region on everyone's android (?) OT app, then do the above. Or it'll keep pulling it back from any user which still has it, then syncing to all again.

1 Like

If you change the name of that place on one phone, it would then get pushed to the other phones so you can see which one needs to be deleted. The regions are created based on a time of creation to make them "unique". This allows you to change the name and not break the link to the hub, but can make a duplicate if it was created with the same name on multiple phones/hub.

Or plan "b" (sledgehammer approach) is delete the region from all phones and the hub and recreated it.

1 Like

Tried both of those methods. Whatever region is selected as home gets recreated a second time.

I wonder if it's a big because it's not Labeled as "Home".

No, the name "Home" is just a name, and regions tagged as home only have their ID saved so the map and presence can reference them. The app doesn't created anything around those.

I suspect it's how they are spooled up to be deleted out of the hub. Can you try deleting them from the hub first, but click the "manual delete" if using the Google Maps key:

Or, "delete from hub only" if not using the key:

Only one of these methods will be displayed depending on how your app is configured. Then go to each phone and delete those regions. If you start at the phones, then they push back changes to the hub and it's most likely getting the duplicate loaded back in from the hub.

Just pushed an update with a minor tweak for Android users. Once the phone has reported a location, the HE app will now detect it being iOS or Android.

This is now being used to stop pushing the +follow region to Android phones, and allows you to delete that region on an Android phone if it currently exists, and it won't be forced back.

iOS needs this region though.

3 Likes

This release is fantastic! Thanks for all your hard work!

Out of curiosity, In the Map Web Link section, when displaying the local link for family map, should family members be displayed? My family URL displays exactly the same as the region config map (no family members). All family members appear on the cloud URL. Not a big deal, just wondering if I've miss-configured something (again). Prefer to use local links on wall mounted tablets as they never leave home.

1 Like

Short answer is "yes" they should display, but you are correct, they are not. Let me check into why this is broken.

1 Like

Just pushed a new version with purely cosmetic tweaks:

• Now only displays configuration items if there are applicable mobile devices registered to the hub.
    IE. Warnings for iOS are only displayed if you have a member with an iOS phone, settings that are Android specific are only displayed if there is a member with an Android phone.
  • I shuffled some of the menus around and bundled them a bit differently. Specifically around the units and advanced settings. To clean up the clutter, all the settings that you should change are in the Configure Hub App section. This includes imperial/metric unit selection, using GPS mode for Android location, API keys and WiFi settings:
  • And other advanced settings that you probably don't need to touch are now here:

Hopefully the menu labelling and grouping is a bit more intuitive to follow. Was trying to not pull a Microsoft "Change for the sake of change"! :joy:

4 Likes

Like the new arrangement overall, thanks for the tweaks.

One thing I noticed that can be a little confusing in terms of "keeping your place" in the app when reviewing or changing settings in the sections that expand/collapse.

Example below:

1. Lets say I select Advanced Settings - Hub and Mobile, and then select Hub App Settings:

2. When I'm done on the Hub and App Settings page I hit Next:
    2024-04-07 10_33_04-C8, C7, Hubs

3. I return to the main page w/all sections collapsed:

I feel like I lose my place a little when this happens, i.e., "What section was I reviewing/modifying?" It would help me keep my place if the section I'm in stays expanded until I close it again:

Just my two cents, take into account advancing age and infirmaties... :wink:

Thanks again for all your work on this.