[RELEASE] Linptech/Moes 24Ghz Presence Sensor ES1 ( TS0225 _TZ3218_awarhusb ) drivers

Like most things hanging on my walls, I used a 3M Command Strip -- for sensors, I use the 2-piece velcro version for easy on/off for battery swaps. That's not applicable for the Linptechs, but I happened to have more of that version handy at the time, so that's what got used.

Interesting, I assume you mean the picture hanging strips, and you cut down to size? Do you leave the pull tabs in place?

Yep, those are it. I keep an assortment of sizes in stock - the small ones are especially good for sensors, because you can trim them so that the tab can stay on the wall one for easy/clean future removal, but you can still hide its tab behind the sensor so it's not poking out into view. In other words, no need to use the entire "height" of the sensor for the strip - a little goes a long way with these things.

On plastic sensors, they peel off easily enough, so I usually trim the tab off the one I use there.

1 Like

I regularly stop by Hydro's house to grab a few. Just ring the doorbell and slip in the back door while he's busy at the front door. :wink:

I've used the similar stuff w/mine to mount two on walls...I have so much two-sided sticky stuff after years w/HA that I will never run out. :slight_smile:

Another is sitting on a shelf on the mount w/it opened up to hold the sensor vertical, and last one is on the floor behind a chair in my wife's closet. They don't move, are quite stable.

1 Like

Similar situation here. The one in my master bath I 3D printed a mount for at the angle I like (which seems to work best) with magnets pressed into the plastic. This way I can remove the sensor easily for cleaning or maintenance, but it doesn't change angle if it gets bumped or removed. The 3D printed piece is command stripped to the light fixture, closest to the corner of the room.

That reminds me, I have another sensor still in the box I need to play with! I think this one is going on top of the kitchen cabinets to replace the PIR sensor down there, which has oddly been acting up lately. Probably because it knows it's on the list of getting upgraded!

1 Like

Want to share the Mount design? My printer is currently in the garage, need to do some work to get a space for it in the house, but might be interested to try your mount in the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

Got a 3D printable topic here...

2 Likes

Yeah I can dump it on Printables to share. I'll update when it is posted.

EDIT: File has been uploaded: https://www.printables.com/model/766959-limptech-mmwave-angled-sensor-mount

3 Likes

So I just ordered two of these linptechs from Ali ... while I wait, a couple of questions. I am confused as to which of the two drivers to use - the 4 in 1 tuya or the Linptech driver (I am GUESSING this one). Also, anything special involved in setting these up? Just add as a zigbee device with this driver - make some setting tweaks and go?

1 Like

Go with the Linptech dedicated driver - it is lighter and simpler to use.

3 Likes

One thing you may run into is the device sensing motion on its back side, the sensor is omnidirectional and isn't just focused forward from the device.

So in a couple cases I had to put a thin piece of metal behind the sensor to keep it from sensing motion in the room on the other side of the wall.

4 Likes

Thanks - much appreciated!

1 Like

good point about direction antennas still picking things from the backside. However, let's be careful not to call it omnidirectional. Directional antenna - Wikipedia

2 Likes

A pedant just like me. :smiley:

you direct most of your energy forward... but everyone once in a while some energy is leaks out the backside?

4 Likes

I saw what you did there, and I approve. :+1::rofl:

1 Like

What variable or state will be the presence detection? I've had this sitting in a bedroom and it hasn't stayed "in motion" like I expected after my child fell asleep.

You will need to play around with the positioning of the sensor and possibly adjust the settings.
I can confirm that having the sensor positioned quite close to the bed will accurately detect a sleeping person all the time.

See example below:

1. Sensor positioned on the headboard - presence detected all night
  2. Sensor positioned opposite the bed on the wall - presence was intermittent
Summary

1 Like

I'm also playing with ideas and placement for sleep presence. Currently I'm three days into using this sensor underneath my bed, facing up. It's a thick Tempur-Pedic mattress on an adjustable base with plenty of electronics/metal ... so not an easy task. The sensor is mounted on a cross bar, about four inches below the mattress. So far, it loses my presence only 2-3 times each night, for 5-15 seconds each time. Not too bad, when paired with automations that understand Sleep and allow presence recovery within a time window. (To be fair to the sensor though, this could be Death, actually tuying with my vitals, deciding whether to take me or not.)

1 Like

Can the firmware of the ES1 be updated without the TUYA hub?

I think the answer is theoretically yes, as HE has a Zigbee FW update capability.

However, HE has to be able to get a FW update file from the vendor (publicly available is required, IIRC) and make it available to the HE hubs so they can access/apply it.

1 Like