[RELEASE] IKEA Zigbee drivers

@mike.maxwell - any likelihood that these Ikea drivers will end up in the HE Zigbee driver collection?

what specifically do they offer that would make that a desirable addition?

See below, from the OP - they evidently make them play (more?) nicely with HE. I'm sure @dandanache could explain better than I.

When researching for automation hubs, I found it to be a bummer that HE supports so few IKEA devices on the List of Compatible Devices | Hubitat Documentation (currently only 5 entries, not to mention brands like Bticino/Legrand - big EU manufacturers). What convinced me to jump on board was that, being a programmer, is was easy to add my own stuff.

In my opinion, HE should have named drivers for most popular devices of all major players (at least for US and EU). Also my opinion: using "Generic Zigbee Switch" means that I am not using something tailored specifically to my device, but something more like a hack / workaround. I would like to select from the drivers drop-down list an entry that has the name of my device.

Technically I know this is not required (the "basic" functionality works with "generic" drivers), but I believe that it matters for the feel-good factor: when I see a named driver, my mind goes like "these guys tested the device I just purchased and added a driver specifically for it, so this surely will be great!"

Again, this is my opinion and it kinda goes against the current HE status-quo.

7 Likes

For plugs:

• on with timed off command - can be used in automating a hallway light that must be turned On by a motion sensor and stay like that for 1 minute (I don't need to program the "turn Off" command in RM)
  • power outage behavior - what happens when the power comes back on?

For the dimmers:

• the option to set a brightness level when the lights are off (without turning the lights on) - for instance at sundown I want all my lights to dim down to 50%, at midnight dim to 10%
  • step up/down brightness level adjustments (in increments I choose) - I find the "start level change / stop level change" extremely annoying :slight_smile: and never get the right brightness level right

For buttons:

• most of them don't work with "generic" drivers, and those that do, have only basic functions
1 Like

Zigbee being reasonably strict in its cluster implementations means that many devices would not receive any benefit whatsoever from having a dedicated driver.
Devices that offer special features generally do have dedicated drivers.
This is different than Z-Wave where device options/preferences are the wild wild west.
All that creating a named driver for a standard function device is going to do is create a larger platform image and create more work for us when fixing driver bugs...

1 Like

While nice additions, none of those options are specific to Ikea devices.

Yes, Zigbee device button implementations are all over the map, generally requiring dedicated drivers.
If anyone is interested in having inbuilt support for any of these new ikea devices that don't rely on group bindings, please send me a PM with the device and I'll look into getting samples and integrating them.
In regards to firmware updates, If anyone has knowledge of specific devices that need firmware updates and a URL to that specific firmware file I can look at getting them added to our repo.

5 Likes

Thank you for these drivers. Would love to repurpose my old On/Off switch and 5 Button remote.

I hope the firmware files can be pushed through the Hubitat hub without having to buy the new DIRIGERA hub. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

You can still use the old TRADFRI gateway to push new firmwares, with the notable exception of the Tradfri motion sensor.

Although the firmware files are publicly available for download (don't know anything about OTA files format), I don't think any progress was done on this matter, HE staff being busy with patching 2.3.6 and all.

Released version 3.2.0 with the following changes:

• E1745: Add option to specify the period of time for the motion to become "inactive" (from 1 to 10 minutes, default 3 minutes)
  • E1745: Add option to detect motion only in the dark
  • E1745: Add requestedBrightness and illumination attributes
  • Instruct mains-powered devices to skip sending the (useless) DefaultResponse Zigbee message after executing received commands (reduce some Zigbee traffic)
  • Make health check logging less verbose (info -> debug)
  • Drivers will now refuse to (digitally) push/hold/release/double-tap buttons that are not present on the device (e.g push button 10)

Some good news: Thanks to @mike.maxwell's zigbee magic, I managed to update the firmware on my IKEA Motion Sensor gen 2 (E1745) to latest version (24.4.5) using only Hubitat's upgrade firmware feature :metal: So now that it finally works with HE, I had a bit of time to play with it and came up with the small improvements listed above.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Ikea Rodret E2201, pairing but Generic Zigbee Dimmer driver not catering to it

fingerprint profileId:"0104", endpointId:"01", inClusters:"0000,0001,0003,0020,1000,FC7C", outClusters:"0003,0004,0006,0008,0019,1000", model:"RODRET Dimmer", manufacturer:"IKEA of Sweden"

EDIT: P.S.
THANKS A BUNCH ...for getting the Ikea Tradfri Shortcut Button E1812 driver built in. The latest ones "straight off Ikea's shelf" (purchased this week) are working now.

1 Like

Fingers crossed...

sys:12023-10-21 19:49:18.759traceStarting firmware update for IKEA TRADFRI E1745 motion sensor, IKEA of Sweden from 20022623 to 24040005.

... and 100 minutes later :

sys:12023-10-21 21:29:29.146infoFirmware update for [name:IKEA TRADFRI E1745 motion sensor, manufacturer:IKEA of Sweden, imageFileName:117C-11C8-24040005, fileVersion:24040005] is 100% complete.

Paired it once again to my C-7 - and it is working now! :+1:

Thank you @dandanache !
... this was the last from my old devices that remained on my SmartThings hub, because it was not working on HE .. until today! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Firmware update was pretty slow for me, took about 100 minutes to complete, so keep calm and carry on :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dandanache - Any chance we can get a driver for the E1766, and firmware update buttons in the device settings (for anything that has it?)

The E1766 is essentially the same as the E1743, except it uses cluster 0x102 (Window covering) instead of 0x0006 (Switch)

I could submit a PR if you're interested, but I don't have windows, so I can't run your make.bat script to do the builds

2 Likes

I'm believe I can come up with something for E1766 since it is supported in z2mqtt and I can get some details from there. I don't think I can buy the device from IKEA without also getting the blinds, so I won't be able to test the code.

Firmware updates are still a work in progress, we have OTA files for all devices but need to test them. Currently we can only update the Tradfri Motion Sensor v2 with HE. You are right, I will add a button for this operation in the drivers; thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry about the build system, it does make it harder for people to understand the source code. Only windows and linux can be used now to build the files, I will try to also make it OSX friendly (both Intel and Apple chips).

1 Like

Oh, I completely missed the build process for linux, I'll take a look again, see if I can build them. I think adding an implementation for the E1766 should be pretty simple, I'll try it tonight, and see if I can open a PR for you to get it in.

I've got about a dozen of these on old firmware, so if there's a way that I can help with testing these, or with the firmware update testing for them (Man, updating them through the Ikea hub is annoying), I'd be happy to

1 Like

How does one find this firmware upgrade feature?

Ok, so that build system makes modifications so simple, I like the templates and config files.

@dandanache :
Opened a PR at Add support for E1766 open/close remote by zackcornelius · Pull Request #26 · dan-danache/hubitat · GitHub with E1766 (tested with 24.4.6 firmware locally) and Firmware update command (On the E1766 and E1745), which I can't test (no E1766 firmware, and I don't have an E1745). Pretty simple stuff though, mostly taken the Inovelli stuff as examples for FirmwareUpdate

@mike.maxwell Can you add the Firmware file for the E1766? It should be using the same firmwre file as the E1743 (From @dandanache's repo): https://github.com/dan-danache/hubitat/blob/main/zigbee-ota-images/images/117C-11C5-24040006-tradfri_onoff_controller-24.4.6.zigbee

I'd love to get that added in to upgrade these with hubitat instead of an old tradfri hub

3 Likes

Thanks for all your hard work. Really nice and useful project.
The support of the E1766 would be awesome.

How can I get the current installed FW without an IKEA hub? Never bought one because of using Smart hinges (earlier} and HE (now).

Have a lot of the old E1810. Loved them. Currently I'm totally lost regarding the firmware update. Do you also have firmware files for the E1810 as well?

I would like to add the to HE too? Do I need an IKEA hub to update the firmware? How to update via HE if I cannot add to HE firsthand?

1 Like

Released version 3.3.0 with the following changes:

• Add driver for Tradfri Open/Close Remote (E1766) - contribution from @zcorneli.iit
  • All: Add Update Firmware command to all devices

Notes:

• The new driver for E1766 (probably) works only with newer firmwares - tested by @zcorneli.iit on 24.4.6
  • The Update Firmware button is now available for all devices in the OP list, but it won't find any updates for now
  • Firmware update for the Tradfri Motion Sensor gen 2 (E1745) works (make sure the device is "awake" before clicking the Update Firmware button: e.g. push once the pair button on the back to wake it)

Have fun!

4 Likes