Thanks I will doublecheck the firmware again in a little bit. I actually was able to get the motion sensors “seen” by simply pressing the buttons on the inside right before pressing the “update firmware” button. However it would come back that there wasn’t any firmware available.
I might try to figure out how to update them via Zigbee on HA just for this one instance. I tried before but it was like pulling teeth. Your method is soooo much easier.
I worked on the motion sensors before seeing your message request and posted to the IKEA firmware update thread on here. Firmware updates were discovered when I finally got this working through HE.
In brief, I had to uninstall the on/off button drivers and THEN I was able to pair the E1745 Motion Sensors via Zigbee (doesn’t show up anything specific at first.) Switch to the Motion Sensor driver then it’s very finicky to update them (but not impossible.) It seems like hitting the center button then the update firmware button, NOT switching to logs just yet, followed by slow intermittent pressing of the center button (and not triggering a reset) keeps the device alive enough for firmware information to be sent and received. Only after fussing with this, then I would check the logs to see if it was updating. But it requires a lot of patience as the reporting for these Motion Sensors is a LOT slower than other IKEA wireless device firmware updates so you don’t know if it’s even working.
Looks like the device is configured to periodically report the value for attribute "0x0020" of cluster "0x0001" (battery voltage). Probably a config from another driver as we use attribute "0x0021" (battery percentage) instead.
Thanks for the report, I'll add something in the next version to cope with this situation.
I tried to update an old E1524 . Is it possible to to update with the E1810 fimrware? I added successfully to hubitat, configured and startet the update. Battery is full , but even waiting for 20 minutest didn't bring up any update information. Battery level went down and up again like crazy.
After a while no new status in the log file regarding battery.
It should be possible to update the firmware on E1524 devices. You just need to make sure that the device is not "sleeping" when you start the update process: press any button on the remote or remove/reinsert battery just before/after clicking the "Update Firmware" button. Repeat, retry different things, keep calm.
I suggest to ask for help on the other thread, since that topic was created to help folks with firmware update issues. Be sure to include details with what you tried and what went wrong; don't just say "it does not work", be specific and don't worry, you're amongst friends here; we'll make it work
I have mine working although it was spitting out warnings which I think Dan fixed.
If you’re having problems pairing, read our posts above. Most importantly what I found was that those sensors were importing as open/close Ikea switches. So I had to delete that ikea switch driver then try to add the motion sensors again. THEN, the motion sensors were detected.
The next issue was that you HAVE to update the firmware on the motion sensors to the most recent version and quite honestly it was a pain: its not always responsive when it actually is, sometimes you end up accidentally canceling the firmware install if pressed at the wrong time, etc. Then the firmware probably takes about an hour on full batteries to update. I put new batteries in and it showed a low and plummeting charge, but after the firmware was updated, the next morning it had shown 100% again. I managed to get two paired and updated, but it took a long time and a lot of quiet swearing .
I installed a Styrbar today and noticed it was sending double events for each button press, just re-paired it and now it's just one so that worked great. Still running the older as-shipped firmware: 117C-11CB-00010024. Dan, do you know if hold for buttons 3 and 4 (next and prev) will work with the latest firmware?
Thank you for trying it Brad. Unfortunately, the Styrbar is a bit weird and has these 2 issues:
It reports an invalid battery percentage value (0xFF).
Hold action for buttons 3 and 4 (Next and Prev) spews out a weird sequence of commands. I documented the behavior in the source code.
According to my tests, it takes about 2 seconds from the moment button 3 or 4 is pressed (and held) and the moment the driver has enough information (message #4) to determine which of the two buttons was held. Add the Zigbee mesh delays, and this makes the hold & release usage very weird. So I thought that is does not worth the effort to implement a hack around it.
I hope IKEA will release a new firmware to fix both these issues.