[RELEASE] IKEA window roller blinds

From what I recall it was removed because apparently when it was in this state you could not tap the dashboard tile to open or close. I.e. when open you tap the tile close and vice versa. Simple solution was to make partially open = open.

I wonder if this is still an issue with the newest platform update?

Ever since the last update with the on/off, my blinds behave weirdly. I have two blinds. Im using rule machine lower shades command at 6:30 pm. every night one of the blinds starts and then stops after 5-10 inches. It's not always the same blind and it doesnt stop at the same position.
Did reset and rejoin both blinds. Same...
Any thoughts?

Roll it back to the previous version on GitHub and see if the problem goes away.

Hi,

I'm new to this...does this driver require the use of the IKEA hub or will it allow the Hubitat to comunicate directly with the blinds?

Thanks!

Direct, the blind is a zigbee device.

2 Likes

Seems like a good time to chime in and say I installed my first Fyrtur shade yesterday and your driver is working perfectly! Thanks.

1 Like

I'm interested as it would be cheaper and would prevent me from becoming locked into a particular manufactures ecosystem, however, i'm a little unconvinced by their blind's styling...that said, the way they've thought out how to gain access to recharge the battery...along with the battery pack itself...appears to be spot on.

hmmm decisions decisions

After testing one of these shades for several months with no issues, I've added several more and have noticed some odd behavior with the new ones. Configuration settings are same as test unit.

The issue I see is the shade motor rolling too far and the unit goes out-of-sync relative to Open/Closed status. It's seems like maybe the motor does not stop after going all the way down and keeps on rolling without stopping until it gets back up to the top.

What am I missing? ...the unit maybe lost its lower limit setting?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure there is a lower limit setting in the shade itself. However, I set the "Max percentage open when Open function is called (delete or set value to 0 to disable this)" preference to 99% and mine no longer tries to keep going after fully open.

This is a hardware bug with the ikea blind calibration. It seems to get worse over time especially if you don't lubricate the bearings. This is why I included a "hardOpen" command in the driver. Just run this every so often to reset the calibration and the problem should be masked.

Thanks.

I had not heard about the lube and bug. But, if the lube problem is true, this sounds like the kiss of death for this product, imo.

Let us know if you find anything else out there that is comparable without spending several times more.

There is nothing at or below this price point that I would buy.

I do own Lutron Serena and will buy more of them where the application calls for those incredibly overpriced features. But, where I think we can live with the noise and tolerate the use of a battery, the IKEA product is the answer... unless maintenance is required. I personally would not choose to live with that for a dozen window blinds.

Hmm, I open/close my Ikea blinds 5 of 7 days a week with HE for over a year now, and have no idea what you are talking about with calibration, bugs, and lubricating bearings.... It just works for me, in case anyone wants a perspective of these.

In that same time I maybe charged the batteries three or four times now.

I with @rick.guthier as I have my Ikea blinds for about 8 months and had no problems and I open and close them everyday. I like them and am planning to add more.

The calibration bug happens for people who do not fully open the blinds regularly, a simple hardOpen command will help fix if that happens. The blinds also recalibrate as 100% eveytime it senses hard resistance. If for any reason this happens then simple application of a few drops of 3 in 1 oil to the right bearings fixes this. I have had this on two blinds so far. I found this solution posted in other forums about the blinds. (These were blinds that operate in slightly more humid conditions of the kitchen so might be a conttributing factor.)

As a side note, my latest blinds are installed in a location where the humidity can be quite high certain months out of the year. So, this would seem to be consistent with your observations of your two problematic. devices

The problem I am seeing (but still trying to assess) seems to be some devices lose track of where the bottom point is and the motor continues to roll (in same direction) beyond where it was supposed to have stopped (the bottom). The bottom in my case is at full factory extension length but I forget that number, maybe 69”.

So, wondering... Do you know if it’s a better practice, for instance, to use this blind with a hard stop at top/open limit vs. stopping at say, 98%?

Also, please describe their purpose of the stop position change button. I can imagine what it’s supposed to do but don’t want to try it for fear of messing a blind that works ok more than half the time.

Thanks!

If you can you should always use the hardOpen command regularly to recalibrate the blind. Each time this is used the blind will know this is 100% open.

Wayne, Well ok then! My IKEA’s will now and forever open to a 100% natural hard stop during their daily routine. I didn’t care for the obvious strain on the motor at 100% but had no idea that a calibration was involved there. My open to only 98% setup seemed quite elegant at the time but seemingly proved unsuitable here.

Thanks!