[RELEASE] IKEA window roller blinds

I've had them on Hubitat, Deconz and now finally settled on zigbee2mqtt. This issue is persistant regardless of platform so I know it's not a driver.

I have very erratic open and close behavior since the 2.2.5.131 update. When I press open the blind will start opening and then randomly stop at a certain point for no reason. This also happens on close.

If I put in a specific level or position the same things happens. It never reaches that position and stops at random numbers. Wondering what changed in the latest FW update and if the driver can be updated to compensate?

Sounds more like a hardware issue than firmware. There's a known issue with lubrication with these blinds over time. Try opening and closing the blinds with the hardware buttons on the unit to see if this still happens. That has nothing to do with hubitat.

Would it happen with all 9 of my ikea blinds all at the same time? They all worked a day ago.

All 9 of my blinds work perfectly if I open/close them from the hardware buttons. Just FYI.

Can you suggest what exactly needs to change in the driver to compensate as I don't see any issues myself. Anyone else see the same?

Sorry. Not trying to be difficult. I have no idea what would need to change.

I'm beginning to think it's a hub FW update issue. I am repairing my blinds 1 by 1 now. The repair does indeed fix the issue. So it seems to be something that changed with my Zigbee mesh during the hub update.

Can you just try to hit the configure button instead rather than rejoin? If only rejoining fixes things then that sounds like a mesh problem. It is possible that there is so much data coming back from the blinds that is hitting a bottleneck somewhere. No idea why the blinds would stop part way enough.

I had a couple of my IKEA repeaters go offline after a hub update. All that was needed was to switch them off and back on. Are you using them too?

I'm not using the ikea repeaters. They didn't seem to make any difference and would stop working all the time. Besides, I have 15 different zigbee on/off switches spread evenly throughout my house so the mesh does seem to be good. All my other Zigbee stuff is working normally. It's just the blinds that are having issues.

I tried using just the configure button. No dice. The only thing that seems to be working is holding in the two hardware buttons and then starting the zigbee pairing process on hubitat. It then recognizes that the blind is a previously paired device and everything goes back to normal.

@a4refillpad - Got my problem sorted. There was a phantom rule machine rule that was supposed to make sure all the blinds were in the down position after 6pm until sunrise. It was disabled, but was still running for some reason. I deleted that rule and everything went back to normal.

1 Like

@a4refillpad - I'm creating dashboards for my different rooms and I was wondering if you could add "Partially Open" to the windowShade state when the shade is not at 100% or 0%. This works better with the built in icons for shades in the habitat dashboard.

Also, can you add the switch state to the driver as well so the dashboard changes the tile color of the blind that is open? Right now they just stay gray, but they will change to a color of anything above 0% is "on" and go gray when at 0% is "off".

One other quirk I've noticed with these blinds.... I believe it to be firmware related and nothing to do with a driver of any sort.

I've got 2 mounted over windows on doors. There's a small trim piece around the window and when fully raised the blind would sometimes get stuck. To avoid this, I only open these 2 blinds to 99% to the bar on the blind stays below the trim on the door.

After a few days of not being fully opened, the blind seems to lose it's position. So when set to open to 99%, it's more like 65. And the max closed setting moves down as well. By default it sits about a foot off the floor. If I leave it for a week, when closed it's actually touching the floor.

Yes this is a hardware problem. Hence I added a "hardopen" option. You need to call that every so often to recalibrate things. I do mine once every few days.

1 Like

I removed the partially open option on request. I could reinstate it.
Secondly, I've added the switch value in my own test version of the code and there still isn't any colour change when the state changes to on or off. I therefore didn't bother publishing it.

That's weird. If you group the blinds together using a virtual shade the "on" property causes hubitat dashboard to change colors on anything greater than 0%.

Need some sample code to look at to see how this happens.

Added the switch capability and methods. See if this works for you.

Works perfectly. Thank you!

Ever think of adding to HPM? Would be easier to keep track of updates.

3 Likes

Any reason why the "Partially Open" status was removed from the code?