[RELEASE] IKEA Drivers with Health Status and Zigbee2MQTT

Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Series Remote Switch ZEN34 (Battery Powered) - The Smartest House ?

ThirdReality makes a button remote that does that, and they're powered by AAA batteries.

Are you sure that the ThirdReality button does dimming? I didn't see that.

It has a "held" button action that can be used for dimming.

1 Like

@birdslikewires

So, I have some of the E1766s. I paired one to HE just to see what would happen. I configured it using the E1812 driver. It looks like it's working, but the driver would need some tweaks. Just adding this little bit in the processMap function shows the button pressed being logged.

Command 00 is the top button and 01 is the bottom. When either button is held, it logs the command for the button and then command 02 when it's released (I don't know how this normally works). Any chance you'd be up for modifying the code?

Here's the logs without my little mod:

Here's the device data:

Here's the catchall from switching to the "device" driver and smashing the buttons:

2 Likes

Oh, nice! I was under the impression there was some mythical, magical whimsy about the open/close buttons which prevented them from working, so I have never picked one up. I'll see if I can squirrel some time to sort this out. It'd be cool to have one to test, but I can fake it, I'm still keen to keep these drivers useful even if I can't make use of them myself.

Speaking of which, how are the batteries behaving on these open/close buttons? Do you have battery issues with other IKEA devices?

2 Likes

I have five of the cellular shades that I installed on 10/1 and I've charged the batteries once since then.

I only have one up/down button that I paired yesterday. I recall trying when I first picked the blinds up, saw that folks were saying they wouldn't work, then gave up. I decided to give them an actual try yesterday and figured all this out.

I'd send you one, but I imagine the ride across the pond would cost more than the button :joy:.

1 Like

Okay, I've not pushed this as an update through HPM yet in case I've messed something up, but if you go here there's a v1.11 of the E1812 driver. Copy-paste that over the existing driver and have a play.

With the open/close remote - does it do anything when you tap either open or close without holding it down? Because with three messages (00,01,02) there's no way for the IKEA hub to differentiate a press from a hold, because the released (02) message isn't a guarantee.

Ahhhh, thinking this through logically, a tap must mean "open or close this blind to full extension" which would just issue the press and not the release. Makes sense.

If anybody has an E1743 wireless dimmer - this thing:

I'd be very interested to know if this driver now supports that in some way too. It won't auto-detect it right now, but it may catch the presses. Maybe.

1 Like

Yeah...so tapping the top gives command 0 and tapping the bottom gives command 1. If you press and hold the top button, it'll give command 0 for the press and command 2 when you let go. Same for the bottom but 0 then 2.

Actually, that makes sense, but I have no idea if that's how they actually function. But, logically, I would think command 0 full open, command 1 is full close, and command 2 is stop. So if you tap open, they go all the way open. If you hold open, then they start opening and then command 2 (when you release the button) stops the movement.

TESTING

This was:

1. Top press
  2. Bottom press
  3. Top hold and release
  4. Bottom hold and release

And I just used buttons 1/2 in button controller successfully.

1 Like

It does not appear that it's capturing the button presses. It's grabbing the battery info, but no buttons.

I just bought this button on Monday and finally got around to pairing it tonight and found your thread when I couldn't get it working.

Could you chuck the driver into debug and trace modes and post the logs? That should show what it’s actually sending.

I recently got a pair of the roller blinds and just tried to get the open/close buttons to work with Hubitat using the updated driver. They appeared to connect to the hub, but nothing is being logged when I press either the up or down button. If I remove the battery and reinsert it I can see activity in the logs, but button press/holds aren't showing up at all. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Did you hit configure after switch to the driver?

Could you see what firmware version they're on?

I did hit configure (didn't have to switch the driver, it assigned the correct driver when I paired them) and it logged "Configured"

This is the Device Details - Data section:

endpointId: 01
application: 21
firmwareMT: 117C-11C5-22010631
inClusters: 0000,0001,0003,0009,0020,1000,FC7C
manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden
model: TRADFRI open/close remote
outClusters: 0003,0004,0006,0008,0019,0102,1000
profileId: 0104
softwareBuild: 2.2.010

I bet it's the different firmware versions. The problem is I think you need a PC (or Raspberry Pi) and USB stick or the Ikea gateway to update the firmware.

Hehe, I've done something wrong detecting which was the last button pressed - it definitely shouldn't be "Button 49" and "Button 50". :joy:

Glad it's catching the others correct though, I'll work out why it's picking weird numbers for the release.

1 Like

As @FriedCheese2006 says, I think this is a firmware thing. Version 2.2.010 is the first one mentioned in the IKEA release notes while 2.3.079 is the latest revision.

The more recent updates had Zigbee tweaks, so considering these didn't work before I believe the 2.3 version properly wraps up the messages. Some devices just splurge their activity into a broadcast channel, IIRC, and HE can't make use of that. Same reasons I couldn't get a Tuya remote working - it pairs, but its messages are "improperly" structured.

1 Like

Had my first casualty. I set one of the buttons up for my wife to use in her office to kick her desktop on and set lighting. She's used it twice. Went to use it this evening and nothing happened. I pulled the battery and it was reading about 2.0V flat. This was a new battery just a few nights ago. I replaced the battery and repaired it while in her office (there's an Ikea repeater right next to her desk) in the hopes that it was a fluke. We'll see.

Interestingly...the first button I setup is still working fine.

Oh, no!

I had one button for the loft which would die overnight, couldn't even get a day out of it in the end. The Symfonisk remote on my desk lasted for months and months. The button (same as the loft one) next to the remote on my desk chewed through a battery a week until I got sick of it.

I even observed the mesh traffic for a while and they weren't spamming it with messages - they were quiet. But internally they must have been doing something, or simply not sleeping.

Something I have not done is sniff the traffic when they're on the IKEA hub, to see if the hub sends a special maintenance command after receiving a message or something. The AlertMe Smart Plugs need something like this, otherwise after a week they turn off their remote control abilities, which I think was some sort of security measure.

Who knows. :frowning:

Well...I have been meaning to pickup an Xbee kit and the new Ikea hub is in stock, so I could 'borrow' one for a little bit...