[RELEASE] Hub Watchdog - Simple way to monitor if your hub is slowing down or not

In the examiner child app.

device / attribute / dataPoints1
and dataPoints2, dataPoints3, dataPoints4, etc.

New version on GitHub...

Lots of cosmetic changes (update both child app and driver)

3 Likes

Hi @bptworld, I noticed a weird result and wonder if you have any ideas? I looked at the examiner the other night, and this is the graph I got for my zigbee device:

Previously it's always hovered around that 0.5s mark. But this one is weird:

• There are 4 discrete "levels" that seem to be the same 1.5s apart.
  • One point that had a negative time.

I only have half a dozen devices on my zigbee network, so I wouldn't have been surprised if occasionally it got a weird slowdown, but this almost looks like a "resonance" or race conditions or something, but I don't know if it's in Hub Watchdog or in the underlying platform.

Any thoughts? :slight_smile:

Sorry, but I would have no idea.

Yeah, it's super weird. The one good clue is that there was a negative time recorded. I see that that gets sent to the data device in line 368: dataDevice.dataPoint1(state.timeDiffMs).

state.timeDiffMs gets set at line 350. But I really don't understand how it went negative, because you use a Math.abs on line 349 when subtracting the times. Very odd.

Well poop!!! I just did the updated to the Watchdog via HPM and none of my settings we transferred.. It appears I have to rebuild everything.. :frowning: Oh well.. give me something to do this evening after dinner LOL..

:interrobang: Really? I hope not :interrobang:

I just had to reselect the device to send the data to, then hit done. My Watchdog setup is very simple though.

@uptownruss yea.. after the update from HPM none of the devices are showing in the Watchdog App. I was just gonna relink them, but I think i'm gonna take this opportunity to uninstall and then reinstall and build from scratch. Kinda a bummer but not a big deal.

Why not restore a backup?

@cwwilson08 I could. I just figured, now that i better understand how watchdog works, I can build a new one better than my previous. Really not a terrible thing. The dev that created it did a good job with Documentation, plus with it being used via HPM it's even easier LOL..

All I did was reselect the device the info is sent to.
Takes 30 secs.
I believe the driver was updated which probably caused this.

@bobbles Yea it was and I tried that but its not working.. redoing it, really is no big deal. I like to refresher and ability put what i've learned since I started using Watchdog into a new config. It's experience and fun. I know i'm weird lol.. But if it doesn't work out, I still have my backup lol.

getting a new error on every dashboard page display regardless if using the hub watchdog tile or n ot..
apparently it is pulling in all device attributes in case you add a tile (my assumption) .
Guess you need to truncate that attribute so we dont see error in hub log on eveyr page

NOT an error. Please search for '1024'. I'm not going into this again.

5 Likes

you could at least post the solution .. goto the apps dashboards and for ones finished that you are not changing uncheck "use all devices"

and check only the devices you need for that page.. A pain, but probalby better for hub performance anyway.

@kahn-hubitat,
@bptworld as well as many others have talked and posted about this error at length, and a simple search for "Excluded attribute" or even "1024" will give you the answer. if you click on the magnify glass (search) at the top of the community forum page, you can type in the error and get the info. I would recommend doing this first on any error/issue you have as there is usually a good probability that it's already been discussed.

Just so you have it, here's a link to the feed about the 1024 error:

Hope this helps a little!!

1 Like

i did but it didnt say the solution so the warning doesnt come up on every dashboard page.. I have now set the specific devices so it only comes on on this page.. I (if it was me writting this app) would put an option in to trunctate those two attributes to 1024 as I personally like clean logs if possible.

Since the warning (not an error) message has come up many times over the past year and it seems it's too difficult to use the search feature to see what it really means. I've decided to cripple the app and only use 40 data points. This will end the discussion once and for all. I will NOT respond to any future discussion on the '1024' topic. Period.

This is not directed at any one person and has been an issue with the dashboards for over a year.

Thank you for your understanding.

New version on GitHub...

Changed number of data points to 40 per device. Many other changes.

• Be sure to update all parts of the app.
  • Then be sure to go into each device and change the 'Unique Identifier' field as it has changed. Don't forget to hit 'Save'.
  • Also go into each child app, be sure your options are they way you want them and hit 'Done'

I've just recently started looking into Hub Watchdog and am looking forward to getting it configured properly.

Thank you for your work on this and sharing with all... Actually I really enjoy a few of your other apps that I already use which is what brought me here originally. There's still a few more of your apps that I'm looking forward to checking out because everything I have seen from has been stellar and very useful.

So, sorry this has been a bit frustrating on this particular topic but please know that all you have done and shared is greatly appreciated.

Actually, related to Hub Watchdog here, I recently realized I have some learning to do regarding virtual devices and how those are used properly. Always fun stuff to get to learn and I enjoy that. :+1: :keyboard: :gift:

1 Like