[RELEASE] Hub Watchdog - Simple way to monitor if your hub is slowing down or not

This is a bit embarassing. I read through the thread and saw several mentions of an "Examiner" child. Where do I find that child?

I just installed Hub Watchdog through HPM and created two Device Watchdog Children. Each is watching a single contact sensor. I set up reports for temperature, status, and activity on each. I can view individual reports on them. But I don't see any "Examiner".

It right under where you created the other Children.

1 Like

Well. I knew it was embarrasing! Turns out I was looking inside Device Watchdog, and not Hub Watchdog. Wrong thread, wrong topic, wrong everything. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

lol, one of those days. :grinning:

I read through things and I'm still a little lost on proper set up of devices for data output. I have 3 seperate child apps with different test devices in each and they all are reporting to the same Virtual Data device. Is this correct?

Also what exactly are the Examiner Child apps for?

No, each one needs its own virtual device

This is what brings the 3 devices together.

1 Like

Ah ok thank you! I hate to be a pain over probably pretty basic stuff.

Fair warning, I may end up with some more basic noobie questions about some of your other apps. Posted appropriately of course. :wink:

1 Like

So just discovered that the hub watchdog is the top cosumer of time on my hub, with the new tools in 2.2.5. Anyone else seeing this? Is this normal?

Seeing this is running over and over and over to test the speed of your hub. I would expect it to be at the top.

I have mine set to run every hour. Is that what you would recommend?

I first setup the app as test every 3 hours, then changed it to ever 1 hour, and now I am testing every 30 mins. I have not see any negative impact to lowering the test intervals.

FYI, I started a thread dedicated to sharing your Hub Watchdog results for others to see what is a good benchmark for their hub and networks.

Have you been getting warm log entrys from max character limit from lists? I get them from my dashboard obviously.

What is the Median Delay intended to represent? I was expecting that half of the readings would be less than the Median Delay and the other half would be greater. However, when I look at the raw data, that is usually not true.

I think I have a weird edge case. I setup my hub watchdog before Bryan implemented the 40-test limit. As a result, I have historical test data in the tile devices that extend beyond the 40 tests and show up in datapoints3, datapoints4, etc. Now, I only display datapoints1 & 2 on my dashboard, so I never really cared (just ignored it) until I realized those old test results affect the summary statistics (e.g., max, min). And if I ClearData, these old readings don't get cleared.

I suppose a simple option is to delete the tile devices and start over, but I have multiple hubs and always look for the more elegant solution (OCD anyone?). Anyone else face this situation? Appreciate any ideas....

EDIT: @bptworld, hey Bryan, did you notice this? Sorry to bump old thread.

Only way to fix is to start over. Sorry.

Yeah figured. A man can dream, can’t he?

1 Like

I'm trying to install Hub Watchdog with no sucess. First, it does not appear to be in Package Manager. I tried import zip using permalink (Hubitat/HubWatchdog.zip at c7f5343728b6fdeb9d86218f3b9646808d7164af · bptworld/Hubitat · GitHub) and it says "cannot process bundle". Then I downloaded the zip and tried uploading to my hub, looked promising but got error, "library not found on line 43: #include BPTWorld.bpt-normalStuff"
Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Bryan withdrew all his releases from Package Manager. He released Bundle Manager, which is an alternative package management system. Lots of discussion regarding this in the forums. This thread is a good read. I believe that most developers have continued with Package Manager. Some perhaps have moved to Bundle Manager, and some perhaps offer both. I haven't kept close track.

The easiest way for you to get Hub Watchdog working would probably be to just install Bundle Manager.

4 Likes

Would you like the old version that doesn't use any packages.