[RELEASE] Hub Rebooter App

Sorry I've been pretty busy this week, I'll take a look tomorrow.

1 Like

So for people asking about Shutdown, I'm thinking this app isn't the right place for that. From what I'm hearing people really want a device with custom commands like Shutdown and Reboot, right? So meaning you can do it whenever you want, for example from RM. I know one person mentioned doing this from a UPS on power failure... So I'm thinking something separate from this app (because this app is really about solving the HE performance issue and hopefully it goes away completely when they fixed that bug) that would let people send commands to reboot/restart/shutdown the hub.

3 Likes

Yeah, I like that idea. Keeping this one tailor focused to scheduled rebooting, and having a different app tackle an RM friendly way to manage Shutdown/reboot/restart. Two entirely different use-cases.

1 Like

I think this app has been affected by the .130/.131 bug @dman2306
The hub did not reboot for my scheduled restart yesterday

The issue from 130 would prevent you from even opening the app. Do you receive an unexpected error if you try to open the app? My rebooter is working fine.

Its possible the cron job didnt get reset upon update -- i went into the app and re-saved
will see what happens monday AM

1 Like

I just started using the app and started with restart...3 days later one of my hubs was locked up. I had been rebooting using a URL for months without issue. Also this hub has barely any code on it. It's just a hub I use for zigbee/zwave devices and mirror them to my other hub with hubconnect.

back to rebooting I go.

I have this written. I’ll probably get it out tomorrow.

For those who were looking for a way to shutdown and reboot the hub on demand, have a look at Hubitat Hub Controller

1 Like

I just started using this tool 3 days ago, replacing my RM rule with a post command.

I have been using the restart command. It clears my daily slowdown issues just fine and I have had no errors or issues so far, even with HubConnect 1.6.4. Hope this helps the Hubitat team with efforts to identify the possible issue. I will continue to report as time goes on.

LJ

2 Likes

+1. Been doing a weekly "restart" in the wee early morning for a while now and my hub has been running along perfectly ever since and I don't even notice the restart.

1 Like

For those that have been using this for some time, consider checking your logs. I checked just on a whim and noticed that my hub was not rebooting. This is because my HE was scheduled to call the scheduledReboot method at my reboot date/time. However, the app was updated to rename the method to executeReboot. To fix this, I just removed/uninstalled the app and then reinstalled. PSA for others.

1 Like

@dman2306 Did you ever decide on writing an app to shutdown/restart? Interested to test it out if you ever did!

Yes he did

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks!

Is it possible to add a periodic "Z-wave Repair" to this? Most of my devices are not "Plus", so I want to run the repair periodically.

Would it be part of the same program that sequentially ran the Z-wave Repair, and then the Restart? Or would it be a separate program that you could schedule separately?

Thank you for your time. I will make a contribution if you can add this functionality.

Plus or not, you shouldnt be running repeated repairs. That sounds like you have a mesh issue.

2 Likes

Well, running a Z-wave Repair is a potential solution to a mesh issue. All Vera hubs run a Z-wave Repair every night. While a Z-wave repair may be unnecessary, other than resource usage, there should be no downside to doing so. It should be no more or less necessary than a hub reset, which your app is supporting.

With perfect hardware and software neither the hub reset or the Z-Wave Repair would be desirable or necessary. In the real world, they can be quite useful, and thus my request.

1 Like

Perhaps, but regardless, no I don't intend to add that functionality to the rebooter app.

1 Like

Well, I appreciate your efforts in producing the Rebooter App, even if I don't understand your reluctance to produce a ZwaveRepair app.

Do you happen to know the syntax used to perform a Z-wave Repair in HE, so that I can substitute that in your code?