[RELEASE] Homebridge Hubitat v2.0

They are describing what @bertabcd1234 was talking about above. You use the Hubitat HomeKit integration to expose a virtual switch to HomeKit, and then in the Apple Home app, you create a HomeKit automation that, for example, unlocks the Level lock when the Hubitat virtual switch is turned OFF, and Locks it when the virtual switch is turn OFF. You could also create some code that allowed a virtual lock to also show up as a virtual switch in HomeKit so that you could activate a lock to control a lock in HomeKit, instead of controlling a switch to control a lock.

This has some disadvantages. You need a HomeKit hub like an AppleTV 4 or later, or a HomePod. You also need to rely on the virtual switch not getting out of sync with the lock. That is something that can happen with that method and it's particularly troubling with a lock. If you were instead to use Home Assistant and HADB as the workaround, you won't have to worry about devices getting out of sync, and you wouldn't need an Apple HomeKit hub (except for HomeKit native remote access) if you don't already have one.

The first paragraph seems to describe the Virtual Switch approach but then the second paragraph seems to indicate that the Homebridge integration is something different?

No worries. I thought I was doing something wrong but good to know it's not me.

Thanks all.

There are different ways to expose devices to HomeKit. Hubitat now has a native/built in HomeKit integration app. There is also HomeBridge, which runs externally to Hubitat. While they achieve the same end result - exposing devices to HomeKit, they are different integrations.

The first paragraph describes using the native HomeKit integration to expose the virtual switches to HomeKit. The second describes Homebridge.

Hope that clears things up.

1 Like

Got it!

Has Tonesto7 stopped updating its wonderful Hombridge V2 app?

I know that Hubitat has released a Beta version of its integration to Homekit, but I like it less.

I would like to submit some changes

Why not create a branch and submit a pull request?

2 Likes

Not that we know of.

There will always be room for the built-in HomeKiy integration and a Homebridge plugin, since Homebridge has fewer limitations that Apple imposes only on certified bridges (and we’re told Hubitat’s in process of undergoing that certification).

Thanks! a put issues on the Github Tonesto7/Homebriges

Thank you for the app. I disabled the safety monitor yet it still shows up in homekit. What do you reckon I’m doing wrong?

Hey @tonesto7 - just noticed the latest release appears to have the wrong version number for the plugin. The Homebridge plugin keeps reporting to the HE driver that v2.9.2 is available, but the latest is v2.9.1 so far as I can tell through HPM.

Doesn't break anything but thought I should flag it. Ta! :+1:

1 Like

It worked fine for me.
Newest HE plugins is 2.9.1
The newest HB Plugin is 2.9.2

The two versions do not always match exactly.

Make sure you restart HB after updating.

2 Likes

Yep this as I continued to get error until I restarted HB

1 Like

You're both absolutely right, what an odd thing for me to forget to do. Thanks for the easy fix! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

New to Homekit basically just getting started and wanted to know that if I installed this app would I also have to run the Homekit Integration (beta) also?

No.

You can run either or or even both depending on your needs.

@jkudave thanks for the reply. I'm pick a couple of light to get started but I having trouble getting it into the Apple home system? I can't seem to find a code to put in? How do I add the Hubitat Bridge to the Apple Home? I hopeful that I will be able to controller things from Hubitat to Homekit and from Homekit to Hubitat?

You’ll probably find it helpful to review the hub documentation page on the built-in HomeKit integration. It explains why you cant’t add certain devices to the Apple Home app through Hubitat, and more.

1 Like

If you are using HomeBridge you need to get that from within HomeBridge. Do you have HomeBridge setup and running somewhere. I am not referring to the Hubitat app.

You can go Hubitat to HomeKit but not HomeKit to Hubitat.

If you are not familiar with HomeBridge and don't have it running, you might find it easier to just use the native HomeKit integration.

To be more clear, you want to pair all devices to Hubitat and share them to Homekit. From there you have bi-directional control of the devices, both ways the status will stay in sync.

What you cannot do it pair a device directly to Apple Home and then share it back to Hubitat (not easily anyway).

2 Likes

I am having serious lag issues in Homebridge and the plugin v2.9.x. Homebridge is running in a Docker on an Unraid server, plenty of muscle and network. Here is the way it was working - open door, then close. Homebridge status shows the open and closed. The accessories tab shows the contact as open, and does not go back to closed, until 1 minute to 30 minutes later. I have reverted back to 2,8,3 of the plugin and everything is fast again. It seems there is something in the later versions that is slowing down a connection inside of Homebridge. Aslo noticed that Hue lamps connected to Hue hub to Homekit - when turning these lamps on from Hubitat, they do not show a status update or change on the accessory tab at all in ver 2.9.x, but they do in 2.8.3.

1 Like