[RELEASE] Homebridge Hubitat v2.0

I am trying to bring the devices on homebridge to hubitat, AC's mostly.
but i cannot see them anywhere.
what i'm doing wrong?

HomeKit does not support "exporting" devices, whether via HomeBridge or any other means, to third-party systems -- only the integration of other devices into HomeKit. To get anything out, you'll have to use a workaround, like importing a device from that third party system into Home and then using a Home Automation to communicate between the two. This is easy for things like switches, even if a bit tedious to set up; it will get trickier and possibly impossible for 100% functionality for other devices like thermostats.

3 Likes

I am trying to get my Level deadbolt exposed to Hubitat so I can use it in automations.

I have both Hubitat and Homebridge configured correctly and communication between the 2 seems to be working.

Im just not sure how to get the Level lock exposed? It kind of seems like you already have to have the lock working in Homebridge and then the plugin passes it along to Hubitat? It's not showing up in the list of devices that Hubitat sees though and I dont see anywhere that I would make the plugin recognize new devices?

Am I missing a step?

What @bertabcd1234 posted right above you ....

You can't with Homebridge/HomeKit. As others have mentioned above, HomeKit does not allow you to reverse send/export/share its devices to other hubs or automation systems.

There is a workaround that I haven't noticed mentioned for @Hardax. If you want to add a Home Assistant hub to your smart home setup, then you could add HomeKit devices to the HomeKit Controller integration on HA and bring that lock into HE via Home Assistant Device Bridge.

This may not be the way everyone wants to go, but it solves an unbelievable number of compatibility problems. HA and HE working together are literally an indispensable part of my smart home setup now. I and many others are using the exact method described above for the new Aqara FP2 mmWave sensor that is a native HomeKit WiFi device.

2 Likes

This seems to be a good solution.

My response was an answer to the OP's questioning the use of Homebridge to expose the lock to Hubitat.

1 Like

Understood :v:

Gotcha - Thanks all.

I found a posting here stating that people are using this plugin to expose the Level lock. Im not sure what they are referring to then??

This uses a virtual switch that is exposed to HomeKit via the Hubitat to HomeKit integration. Then HomeKit/Home app automations are used to lock and unlock the Level lock when those virtual switches are activated.

1 Like

They are describing what @bertabcd1234 was talking about above. You use the Hubitat HomeKit integration to expose a virtual switch to HomeKit, and then in the Apple Home app, you create a HomeKit automation that, for example, unlocks the Level lock when the Hubitat virtual switch is turned OFF, and Locks it when the virtual switch is turn OFF. You could also create some code that allowed a virtual lock to also show up as a virtual switch in HomeKit so that you could activate a lock to control a lock in HomeKit, instead of controlling a switch to control a lock.

This has some disadvantages. You need a HomeKit hub like an AppleTV 4 or later, or a HomePod. You also need to rely on the virtual switch not getting out of sync with the lock. That is something that can happen with that method and it's particularly troubling with a lock. If you were instead to use Home Assistant and HADB as the workaround, you won't have to worry about devices getting out of sync, and you wouldn't need an Apple HomeKit hub (except for HomeKit native remote access) if you don't already have one.

The first paragraph seems to describe the Virtual Switch approach but then the second paragraph seems to indicate that the Homebridge integration is something different?

No worries. I thought I was doing something wrong but good to know it's not me.

Thanks all.

There are different ways to expose devices to HomeKit. Hubitat now has a native/built in HomeKit integration app. There is also HomeBridge, which runs externally to Hubitat. While they achieve the same end result - exposing devices to HomeKit, they are different integrations.

The first paragraph describes using the native HomeKit integration to expose the virtual switches to HomeKit. The second describes Homebridge.

Hope that clears things up.

1 Like

Got it!

Has Tonesto7 stopped updating its wonderful Hombridge V2 app?

I know that Hubitat has released a Beta version of its integration to Homekit, but I like it less.

I would like to submit some changes

Why not create a branch and submit a pull request?

2 Likes

Not that we know of.

There will always be room for the built-in HomeKiy integration and a Homebridge plugin, since Homebridge has fewer limitations that Apple imposes only on certified bridges (and we’re told Hubitat’s in process of undergoing that certification).

Thanks! a put issues on the Github Tonesto7/Homebriges

Thank you for the app. I disabled the safety monitor yet it still shows up in homekit. What do you reckon I’m doing wrong?

Hey @tonesto7 - just noticed the latest release appears to have the wrong version number for the plugin. The Homebridge plugin keeps reporting to the HE driver that v2.9.2 is available, but the latest is v2.9.1 so far as I can tell through HPM.

Doesn't break anything but thought I should flag it. Ta! :+1:

1 Like