[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Thanks Joe. I have to say right now the app seems quite stable and works well. With the last fix, my tiles are staying in place and not changing size. The screen saver also adds a secondary benefit. It acts as a screen refresh for those nasty rtsp streams that like to freeze up. I've got my video streams working well but still get a freeze up that I don't think is a problem with your app. It happens with everyone's app. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

RTSP has been a bit of a pain for sure.. I have a camera to test with now but haven't been able to spend enough time really watching it over a period of time to see what's happening. I'll try to do this today and over the weekend when I can and see if I can make it better.

Ideally - if I can figure out if the RTSP stream is having issues or freezing - I can try stopping and starting it automatically

@jpage4500 Is it possible for you to build some sort of alarm clock for the dashboard. Something quick and easy to set that cam be quick and easy to assign to a rule or basic automation. So set my time than have some sort of way in the dashboard to assign a premade rule

I have a rule that slowly raises my lights and changes color/temp as time goes by. It also vocally tells me to wake and such and gets louder and more forceful as the minutes go by. It's a pain to go into the rule to change the time though. Example, today I have to go to work an hour early for a safety meeting. So I'm not going to use my Hubitat alarm because of the hassle.

1 Like

I've spent some time testing my RTSP video stream.. my Reolink camera was working for ~3 minutes before the image would freeze. I tried a bunch of things and and finally have a solution that's working at least on my test phone.

I ended up switching libraries and I'd like to push these changes out to a larger audience to get feedback but want to first understand how many people (if any) are currently using live video in the app? This wouldn't affect MJPEG video - just RTSP (ie: url's starting with rtsp://). Anyway, I wouldn't be able to support both RTSP libraries but want to make sure I don't break any existing tiles if possible

We talked about this a bit before @jpage4500, guess I was wrong, I thought I was using rtsp from Blue Iris but according to your explanation above it's mjpeg. Still I think it would be interesting for most. I've never figured out how to get the stream on my phone when I'm not on my home wifi. Maybe this would help?

You can't unless the server is in the cloud, or you use vpn to connect to your home system.

Looking forward to the new RTSP software. Probably one of the main functions of our always on display is for live video feed from around the house. I prefer RTSP just to keep all of the traffic local to our own LAN.

I don't have a VPN server in my house but I do have pia vpn and pay extra for a dedicated IP address. Does that help me.

If you already do that, it would well worth it to setup OpenVPN or WireGuard so you can VPN into your network.

WOW! This is one popular app!!!!
I am really liking it too!
BUT..... (and there is always a but)...
first... version 1.0.1548
A few versions back, I added one of my IP cameras using the RTSP using the "add tile / video" and the list now populates with "device" about 17 of them.
I remember before, I was able to add a video tile with a real URL, and that worked, sort of. (it disconnects sometimes and if I wait,it will reconnect, but not full screen).
When I long tap on the video tile, the app just crashes.
As a former boss would say.. "somethings wrong". yep, it is!
This is on a Fire HD10 and a Samsung 10" tablet so it isn't only the fire tablet.
I would like to remove the video tile I have now, but I can't because the app just crashes.

What info do you need to help troubleshoot this?
Thanks for the awesome app.!

Feature request -
I pay close attention to this thread as HDA is so important to me. The recent change to allow Name vs Label was huge as I standardized long ago on a long and a short name respectively for my google dev interface for battery management.
Regardless of how I got there/here - I'm using Name now in my HDA dashboards but a flaw has evolved. Some devices, especially ones created by apps, lock down the Name field. In many cases its a poor name - generic or low-value. For example, Smarter Fan app creates 'Virtual Switch'. That describes about 10 devices in my HA world! THe name is locked by the app, so I now have a 'Virtual Switch' icon in my dash that isn't clear.
I know I can override manually, but then I risk having the human error element introduced. If the device had a toggle that allowed me to choose 'Name or Label?' that I could toggle that was device specific it would give me a level of control.
This isn't crucial and I'm already just happy as all git about my dashboards.
Thanks for considering.

I'm having the same problem on 1.0.1548 as already stated. If I change a video URL to an rtsp: address, I can no longer edit the tile. The app will crash every time.

Strange issue today - Not sure if it's new or not.
I have a temp sensor and an outlet that enables an AC unit. I have a rule to turn it on or off as the temp goes over or under a threshold. works great.
Today the dashboard was showing the fan running but the temperature BELOW the threshold. I scratched my head and refreshed device in HDA. it continued to report a value of 73.4.
The true value from HE was 77.4. I also noted the last update time as nearly 3 hrs before. Heres a screen cap.
As you can see it shows 73.4. but the attributes show the correct '77.31' for temperature. In the details at the bottom of the screen cap it says last updated 3:51 - this dashboard is active 24hrs a day for me. I checked the HE Dashboard and device (UGH) and they showed the latest value - so it was definitely HDA related. This is a COPY of another device. I use the Copy for specific temp display as opposed to the button function of the regular device if that matters.
Killing HDA and restarting it fixed the problem - but 'refresh devices' did not.

I've seen this before and reported something similar a while back (January of last year):

@jpage4500 Joe I am running across an odd problem. My main tablet dashboard (the one I do my updating and experimenting on) no longer has the ability to backup to the hub. I recently switched from using the Amazon updater to just using your apk download here in post #1. Is it possible that the backup to the hub is not available in that copy? If not any idea why the option isn't in my list? Also, is it possible to direct link to that apk somehow? Id like to just create a tile (link to url or whatever works for you) that I can just push to directly download the apk instead of coming to post #1 of this thread.

Also, do you still plan to create some sort of folder list like the battery tile to use for folders that are heavily crowded folders? My lights folder has gotten completely out of control with over 30 ugly lights in there.

I keep reading Dad Jokes out to my husband. From his responses, I am not sure it has the HAF. But I am enjoying them :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Tony! To be completely honest - I've overlooked the problems I have with 'copied' devices in HDA. Folders break, deleting devices leaves children behind, and no direct method to see only 'Copies' for management. I also get phantom problems with assigned icons disappearing, control issues surrounding Folder icons. One of my more agonizing items is the inconsistent font /size problem that occurs when a temp value is 74 vs. 74.0 - since it's less chars in length, it has a larger default font px. 74.0 should round up to ... 74.0 if I have set 'precision to 1'.
All of these issues have been noted - @jpage4500 has worked non-stop so to be very clear, I don't push or stomp my feet as the app continues to go forward in leaps and bounds.

The solve I came up with for this is to use 'Virtual' devices. There is an app I used a while ago which has come in handy again - Mirror Plus. Mirror.. AFAIK, it isn't in bundles or HPM, it has to be hand added but it works very well. Just make a virtual device for your need.
For example. I have a Samsung button that also reports temperature and it is REALLY accurate for some reason. Since it is left on the table, it samples temp very accurately as opposed to the temps from motion sensors that are up near the ceiling.
I create manually a Virtual Temperature Sensor. The I create a child app called 'Mirror: Livingroom Button Temp'.
I remove all copies of devices to the best of my memory in the HDA, and add the Virtual device to the Maker API for HDA.
Viola! a working temp sensor that doesn't go off sync.
I'll add that I did find you were correct, a number of other motion sensors were showing wrong values in temperature. It wasn't all of them, just 2 of my 8. Weird.
Also, I have 2 Aquara temp/humidity sensors. Both of them were out of sync in the copies in HDA as well. So I now sadly have 6 Virtual Sensors BUT.... The good part is I now manage my duplicates and copies at the HE side, instead of in HDA which seems to be a boon. Hope this work around helps others!
**** UPDATE **** I immediately had problems using generic Virtual Drivers from HE. I switched to the Mirror authors 'Omni' driver and resolved it.

1 Like

I am recently seeing the same with tiles that are copies. They show the correct values in Activity but not on the tiles.

For me this started a couple of weeks back.

I mainly used copies so that I could monitor batteries in a separate folder for those devices that had them. Then I saw there was a battery monitor that would list them all anyway.... DOH!

2 Likes

LOL. Maybe the single best WAF value I provide! When her Cell phone needs charging she gets a notification... She let me buy dimmers that day... :slight_smile:

2 Likes