[RELEASE] GE Z-Wave Plus Motion Dimmer Component Driver

SIGH. Sorry for the quick releases. Only need to update if you ARE using the "Wait for device report option".

• 1.3.2 (02/17/2021) - Forgot to add the "Wait for device report" to everything other than on/off/level
1 Like

So how does one use this in RM? I want to be able to change the manual/vacancy/occupancy mode based on time of day or the mode of the house in general (e.g. occupancy mode off at night). Not been able to see that type of action to configure in RM to get this done. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Custom action, actuator type.

I'm not in front of the computer or I would give better instructions.

EDIT:

Perfect

• 1.3.3 (03/31/2021) - Fixed small issue where on/off states weren't made in rare situations
2 Likes

Looking for a way to use the physical button push's to disable motion lighting from turning off the light after a period of time. Right now i don't see anything exposed in the default driver that would do that. Would this driver let me set something up like that?

Not sure what you mean. You mean the on/off button on the switch/dimmer? You could do that on this driver or my other non-component version. Use the PHYSICAL ON event in an RM rule to then put the device in manual mode, and opposite on physical off. Pressing the on/off button on the device would still turn the light on/off of course when you press the button - there is no way to completely disable a single press on the local button from controlling the light load. The device does not support double/triple taps on the on/off button, so can't do it that way. Here is an example RM rule to turn off motion lighting on physical ON press. Trigger = physical switrch type Action = Custom action, type actuator, select "Manual"

Oh, wait... That won't work actually. As the motion dimmer on/off events are also logged as type "physical".

Sorry, you are probably SOL on this one unless you modify the driver. You could (probably) edit the driver making the on/off events from the motion dimming type digital or remove the type altogether, than use physical on/off to set the mode to manual/occupancy.

Can't do it with the drivers as-is though.

I'll think on/do some testing whether I can change that behavior in the base driver though. Maybe the motion originating on/off shouldn't be type "physical" at all (would likely make them type=blank)... Will take some time/testing to see if there are enough breadcrumbs to see motion on/off versus physical button in the switchbinary vs notification reports, or not.

2 Likes

That is what I want. Trying to improve WAF.

The switch is in a closet and I would say 98% of the time it isn't a problem. But there are occasions were she would like to have the option to have it stay on if motion isn't detected for a while. Like workin the closet. I was thinking of trying to find a way for the physical action to override automation.

I am currently using the included driver. For motion that event type appears to be left blank. The switch is marked as digital vs physical depending on what creates the action.

Thanks for checking.

I'm lucky, everywhere I want to manually override the motion lighting I have either a ceiling fan (so can double click that switch - as the non-motion GE devices support double press events) or a TV (can switch to MANUAL when tv is on).

I'll take a look when In get time though and see if it can be done on this device.

The other option you would have is making a "software based" double click. One of the smartthings drivers did that. I hate it, and will never add it to my driver, but the idea is that in the driver software you count the time between ON or OFF events and if there are multiple within X amount of time - consider that a "double click".

IF the in-box driver makes the motion on/off events be type blank, and physical on off type physical, then you can do what you want with the in-box driver + a couple RM rules. I have no idea how the in-box driver works, since I don't use it.

ok i will see if i can piece together a rule machine method for it. Thanks for the input.

I needed to have the same thing happen. Taking a shower would always have the light turn off since the motion could not reach the shower. In this WebCore rule the normal operation is a 3min-ish light on with motion. But if you physically tap the on button it then gives you 15 minutes of continuous light then goes into a motion based lighting scenario from 15-30 min, with a hard off after 30 minutes of light. This gives you enough time to take a shower but in the event someone clicks the physical switch on and just leaves before 15min the light will only stay on a max of 30 min.

@mavrrick58 I use a virtual switch to switch between occupancy and a manual mode. Hit the GE device as an actuator function to change modes

1 Like

Just note that the only way I can see that this works is if you run the device in MANUAL mode all the time (decoupling the motion sensor and dimmer/switch function).

If you have it in OCCUPANCY or VACANCY mode then when the device sets itself ON/OFF based on the internal motion sensor, it generates a "Physical ON/OFF" event on the hub which is indistinguishable from a button press ON/OFF event.

If you run it in MANUAL, and do the on/off in hub logic - then yes, you can catch the button presses, as they would be the only "Physical ON/OFF" events being generated.

Too bad the device doesn't send different events on button press on/off vs internal motion event on/off.

Well I managed to get what I wanted.

I just setup a rule in RM to flip a switch when the physical button press is detected. That virtual switch is then setup in the motion lighting app to disable the automation triggered by motion to turn on and off the light.

I have tested it a few times and seems to work well.

I have always had HE turn the switch on once motion was detected. I do wish it was a bit faster though and i suspect having the switch do it by mode would be faster, but that change has never worked for me.

That makes sense. Just note that if you ever put the device in OCCUPANCY or VACANCY mode it will break that RM and motion lighting rules.

Lol. The interesting thing about that is technically the driver says i am in occupancy mode right now. It just doesn't work that way.

Never seen that before. :man_shrugging:

Unless maybe you have the light timeout set to disabled. Can't say I've tested that in a very long time.

I just ordered a Hubitat. I'll be moving over from Smartthings. I have a couple of GE motion dimmers and was wondering if it's possible (or what the best practice is) to do the following:

At night:

• Automatically turn on to 25% based on motion
  • Manually pressing On = 100% brightness
  • Auto-Off after 2 minutes

During Day:

• Automatically turn on to 100% based on motion
  • Auto-Off after 15 minutes