[RELEASE] GE 4xxxx / ZW4008 Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Switch Driver

You can't.

Those aren't the same as the enbrighten. They are the same as the gen1 GE/jasco devices. You can tell by the break-off tabs on the side. The gen2 GE/jasco don't have those (they are smartfit) and have the auto wiring detection feature.

You should be using the in-box driver, or my ge/jasco 14294 smart dimmer driver - NOT the enbrighten one.

Nice price though!

1 Like

Jasco made this as confusing as possible. They rebranded the version with tabs with the Enbrighten brand and continued to sell them as they introduced the newer switch (no tabs, slightly smaller, line/load detection) under the name Enbrighten. And didn't they also reuse some model numbers?

Technically, I'd call the last gen3, with gen1 being the non-ZWave+ line.

2 Likes

Well, I don't consider gen1 non-plus. Those were just shitty best effort devices without paying lutron their royalty fees.

And yes, they made it very complicated by re-using model numbers and the enbrighten name.

1 Like

I don't fully understand what it means to be an Enbrighten, but these are the features the Honeywell/Costco dimmers have:

• smartfit size

• auto wiring detection

• S2 Security

• "Turn your dimmer into an On/Off switch" feature works

• has triple clip events in the log:

dev:26272020-08-28 05:00:41.623 pm infoEntry Light had Tripletap down (button 6) [physical]
    dev:26272020-08-28 05:00:41.621 pm debugTriple Tap Down Triggered
    dev:26272020-08-28 05:00:41.618 pm debugCentralSceneNotification V1 Called.
    dev:26272020-08-28 05:00:41.613 pm debugparse description: zw device: 2C, command: 5B03, payload: 0F 84 02 , isMulticast: false

I just can't get the triple/double click events into a Button Controller/RM

Can you see the double taps in the Device page? Does that change when you try the various taps (up/down/double/triple)?

I misspoke, the driver does seem to react to the double and triple clicks. But I don't know how to trigger off of the triple click. Here is what I'm seeing in the driver:

Double Up Click:

Current States

• doubleTapped : 1
  • level : 99
  • numberOfButtons : 2
  • pushed : 3
  • switch : off

Double Down Click:

Current States

• doubleTapped : 2
  • pushed : 4

Triple Up:

Current States

• pushed : 5

Triple Down:

Current States

• pushed : 6

Then when I try and create a Button Controller, I don't know how to trigger off of a triple click:

With the Enbright Switch driver, it seems to create 6 buttons that allows me to trigger on each event.

It seems to have something to do with only detecting:
numberOfButtons : 2

Where on the Enbright Switch it detects:
numberOfButtons : 6

I’m sure this not the right way to fix it, but I added this line of code to the β€œdef configure()” section:

sendEvent(name: "numberOfButtons", value: 6, displayed: false)

Now I’m able to use triple click (buttons 1 to 6) in RM and button manager.

For $25, this is a great dimmer, also really cool that it can be configured as a switch.

1 Like

Interesting, I stand corrected then, Did they look like the picture on the Costco link you posted? I can't understand why a new gen2 device would have the break-off tabs on the side, as they are needed on those models.

Anyway, I'll take a peek at the code later and see why it forced you to 2 buttons instead of 6.

Thanks for the report!

@Scottdogster I don't see anything in the code that would yield 2 buttons. Did you hit CONFIGURE after changing the device to this driver? You (almost) always need to hit CONFIGURE when you change drivers.

If you did, then association reports must not be working right for whatever reason, as that is where it sets the # of buttons to 6.

Regardless, your code change obviously will work fine/do it too. No issue there.

Agree - if it is the newer model with smartfit, S2, etc then that is a very good price. Just ordered some myself.

@JasonJoel,

Yes, I did press the configure, but that value just stayed at 2 until I forced it in the code.

Here are some pictures of the device:

image image image image image

That makes sense. That is NOT the picture on Costco's website. Your pics are definitely of a gen2 dimmer.

OK, I'll update the driver to just force the buttons in configure too. No real reason to do it in the association report anyway.

Thanks!

It's hard to tell. The picture clearly shows the older generation, but one of the reviews says it is 15% smaller than his GE switches (and Jasco's claim is about the same - 20%). I see also that two of the 15 reviews say these are actually toggle switches, not paddle as shown.

I'd definitely order some if the latest gen, so let us know what you receive. If the previous gen, it's an OK price. I bought some on clearance at Lowe's for $29 each.

Not that I would expect Costco's descriptions to be technically accurate, but I note that they say these are compatible with Alexa without clearly calling out that a hub or Echo Plus is required for that (they do say hub required for remote control).

I have several of these (from Amazon, not Costco) and as the picture shows they do not have the break off tabs. I always assumed they were simply a re-branding of the Enbrighten.

• 2.2.0 (08/29/2020) - Added number of button config to configure
1 Like

Once again, though, the GE Enbrighten branding could be the older generation or the newer generation. Even the model numbers don't tell you which is which. If it is GE and does not say Enbrighten, then it is the older. But if it says Enbrighten it could be either.

Don't know if the Honeywell model numbers distinguish correctly, but it appears that Costco's photo/description is confused. Good to know that you actually get the newer.

1 Like

Yes, "Enbrighten" means absolutely nothing in terms of device generation or capabilities. It is used on multiple devices across multiple versions and generations of devices.

2 Likes

As soon as you complete the update for the Honeywells to get double and triple I'm going to apply your driver to my Honeywell switches and try out my new double and triple taps. :slight_smile:

Make sure you get the right driver - dimmer or switch. This is obviously the "switch" thread, but there is a dimmer driver too.

1 Like

Yup - I have one switch and two dimmers. :slight_smile: Did you update them to support triple on the Honewell switch/dimmer yet?

1 Like

@JasonJoel - Wanted to give you an update, your "GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Dimmer" driver (version 2.2.0) has been working great on my Costco Honeywell dimmers. Thank you!

1 Like