[RELEASE] GE 4xxxx / ZW4008 Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Switch Driver

Did you find that feature list somewhere in the Costco listing? I ask because I am not seeing anything in the Costco description .. especially not the photos .. that indicates the version of these Jasco switches with no tabs/smartfit/auto detection/S2. There is one review that indicates smaller size.

I understand that what you received was latest gen. I'm just wondering whether what one gets could be a grabbag situation, especially since multiple reviews say they actually got toggles.

Anyone else with a data point to report from the Costco deal?

I have 8 of them on order, I can confirm what arrives in a few days when they get here.

I'm pretty confident we'll get the same that @Scottdogster got - typically once Costco has moved on to a new set of stock they don't revert.

Same thing happened w/a laptop I ordered, that came w/from updated stock w/better specs than their spec sheet indicated, and which other folks had they had recreived.

Worst case, Costco returns are about as painless as it gets. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@HAL9000 - Costco's website description isn't very good. The features I listed where from my own inspection.

One other data point, my brother order a set of these a few months back and they are the same as the ones I received.

I think they are the best deal out there!

1 Like

The additional data point convinced me. Ordering now.

What goes in these parameters?

Association Group 2 Members (Max of 5)
Association Group 3 Members (Max of 4)

I'm not totally up on the technical details of Z-Wave magic

@Scottdogster, @HAL9000, @JasonJoel...

Switches finally arrived from CostCo and as expected they are the new Honeywell S2 Z-Wave+ version. No old stock showed, I ordered 8.

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks for confirming. My order arrives Thursday.

1 Like

Costco also has Honeywell Z-wave plus outlets:
https://www.costco.com/honeywell-z-wave-smart-receptacle%2C-2-pack.product.100579324.html

Turns out it's cheaper directly from Jasco right now--on sale:
https://byjasco.com/catalog/product/view/id/3424/s/honeywell-z-wave-plus-tamper-resistant-smart-outlet/category/64/

1 Like

Yup, switches, dimmers, outlets, and indoor and outdoor plugs. All priced very well. I wish I could justify in my mind replacing all my older Z-Wave switches and dimmers, but the damn things keep working really well just to spite me. :wink:

Somebody around there got me wound up.

Told me about the Inovelli ones that let you set the color and behavior of the LED.

NOW I'm having to replace the S2 Enbrighten switches I JUST bought to replace the really old non-plus ZW ones I had. lol

Well. OK. I found a few places where I had manual switches still that didn't really need Z-Wave ones--but are conveniently located for colored LEDs that are being upgraded. And, I expect I'll "displace" a few new S2 Z-Wave devices--which will displace some non S2 ones that are a bit older. Still. smh.

I am kinda excited about being able to use those LEDs to tell when any exterior (or garage) door is open, when the system is armed, and when all is happy. I don't (currently) have plans to change out 40+ switches and dimmers--but I'm guessing the "shuffle" will end up involving about 7 of them. :slight_smile: I think I need a GoFundMe campaign. :stuck_out_tongue:

A boy and his toys.

2 Likes

This is a nice deal for $22!

Oh so sad...

Rationalizing...the most powerful force in the universe, except for the one that makes my wife say "Hmmm...no, move it a few more inches to the left. No that's not it, maybe five inches to the right..."

1 Like

Based on your Aug 7 update, is this no longer accurate in your original post? I added a couple with S2 using native driver but would love to switch to yours for additional functionality

V2.0 and newer support S2.

Fixed the OP. Thanks!

1 Like

@JasonJoel A couple thoughts/questions:

1. The Inovelli drivers have a "min" and "max" brightness level. Once you set that, the "dim to xx%" commands actually calculate the number as "((xx/100) * (max-min)) + min" (or, so I assume).

What's super cool about that is that it let's you tweak the min (the lowest brightness that works for the bulbs/fixture) and max (the level above which no noticeable difference can be seen) easily in the driver (rather than all the rules/apps) and it makes the level's work much more "nicely" (e.g., they dim more evenly across the range and 5% is actually visible.

Any chance you could add that to your driver?

1. Since this would be another "breaking" change, it's probably not worth it. But. Inovelli has a different way of surfacing the multi-tap buttons (and they are much more easily expandable). They use the button number that corresponds to the number of taps then "Push" for On/Up and "Held" for "Off/Down". It's a lot easier to see what you're doing in rules, etc. that way--and, it would make the convention work across both device types the same way.

E.g., Triple-Tap Off => Button 3 Held; 5 taps up => Button 5 Pushed; and so on.

Note: It was interesting in one of my support tickets, Mike Maxwell was like "The platform doesn't support triple-taps or more, so I have no idea how they can be doing that." Your way works--as does Inovelli's. And I think using the "button" function is a great solution--probably better than hard-coding something so device dependent into the platform. :slight_smile:

If I get a minute I'll look at how inovelli does that. If it is a hardware feature, obviously that won't be possible. If it is just in software though - maybe.

I don't really like how they expose their buttons, to be honest, so I doubt I would make that change. They are intentionally using push vs held "wrong" so that all commands have the same button #. I'm not onboard with that.

That is true, there is no event type past double tap. The hub event options were made before there were many scene controllers on the market, so there was no need for them to make more than doubletap at the time.

Personally I think they should change that, though, extending the taps all the way up to ten tap. But that's me, and I'm not the one that has to do the work. lol

3 Likes

Just want to clarify -- are you talking about us (Inovelli) or GE? Sorry, it's been a long day and the Lions won, so I'm a little off my game.

I'd like to make sure we're doing things correctly. Tagging @ericm for visibility in case it's us that are doing things incorrectly.

I was commenting on how I understand the inovelli drivers convert physical multi-presses into events. If I got it wrong, or misunderstood, I apologize in advance!

No worries dude, we just like to make sure we're user friendly, so I'm happy to get it right!

@ericm -- can you comment here? I'm just the guy that makes pretty pictures and videos.

Specifically I was responding to this, which is how I remember them working too: