[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

Hi All - just tried both an update and a repair to the latest version in HPM (4.2.0.2 from 4.2.0.1), and it is coming up with a fatal error when attempting to upgrade/install Echo Speaks - Actions - it subsequently rolls back leaving the main app at 4.2.0.2 and Actions and Devices at 4.2.0.1.

The HPM error message says contact the package creator.,..any ideas? As said, happens on both an upgrade and a repair.

Thanks.

1 Like

Issue is line 3938

Boolean testMode = false

Since testMode is being passed and declared in the parameters as Boolean already it doesn't like the second declaration.

Easy fix, but @tonesto7 's to do.

3 Likes

i'm getting the same thing

1 Like

Just posted this and looks like I'm hosed with all of you. DIdn't see this end of this thread. Echo Speaks Hell

1 Like

Hi @wiegout,
Empathize with you. Was looking forward to the update as previous updates did not fix the Restore Volume issue for me and I never got a direct response from @tonesto7 (as well as some other problems that others were having). That being said, ES on the whole is a great app and I really appreciate the work that @tonesto7 and @nh.schottfam have put in it.

Unfortunately, as @thebearmay pointed out, there appears to be an issue with a line in the update code that hopefully will be seen by @tonesto7 relatively soon so I can perform the update (I usually just use HPM whenever possible for its simplicity and ease of use).

Fortunately, when the update failed, I was able to just keep my previous version intact (did not go to the nuclear option) so everything still works. As someone who has only used Hubitat for about 1 1/2 years, I learned early on how much help this community provides and I NEVER go to extremes until I consult with a more knowledgeable member here and so have yet to suffer a catastrophic HE related loss. Sorry to hear of your experience.

I never have "gone nuclear" before either. The app has been so stable in the past, with the only issues being me shooting myself in the foot, that I figured it was my issue and that starting over was the only quick way out. Now it's broken, and I have many Apps with "BROKEN ACTIONS" so ... Yeah, dumb moved and I'm kind of hosed.

Again, very sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully, once the update is available, you will be able to get everything up and running.

1 Like

Sorry this is a byproduct me not making sure everything merged properly when I published it.
Give me 30 minutes and I will make sure everything is good

8 Likes

Just to confirm for others that land here - all good now since Tony republished 4.2.0.2 on GitHub :+1:

5 Likes

@tonesto7 and @nh.schottfam ,
Sorry to keep bringing this up but in my naïveté regarding ES I still do not understand how the Volume Level and Restore Level is supposed to work. I successfully updated to v4.2.0.2 (thank you BTW for fixing this in HPM). It was my understanding that 4.2.0.2 was supposed to fix the Restore Level issue.

In the ES child app, when I set the Volume Level to 70, and the Restore Level to 35, I expected that my announcement would be made at 70, then my Echo Dot would then reset the volume to 35. However, only the beep occurs at 70, and my announcement is made at 35. Either I am not understanding how this is designed to work, or 4.2.0.2 did not address the problem. If I am mistaken as to how these settings are supposed to work, please explain to me how it is actually designed to work. As always, thank you very much (BTW, ES is a great app regardless of my problem wrapping my head around how the volume level settings work). TIA for your help.

Also, does it use less hub resources to run my individual announcements as multiple individual child apps in ES, or to just use RM rules to reference Echo devices that are exposed by ES? Again, thanks for any insights.

It would be good to say exactly what you are doing.

Are you up to date in the software - please check and if needed update the files by hand

if you into the device what command and parameters are you using...

ie help us to reproduce your issue....

Thanks for your quick reply @nh.schottfam.
I am using C7 hub on the latest firmware and ES 4.2.0.2. My use case is for my Echo Dots to make a loud announcement when a contact is opened (door, window etc breached) and then reset to a lower more “normal” volume for subsequent announcements. I set up a ES child app and set a virtual device as as trigger and selected the Echo’s I want to make the announcement. I go into the Volume option page and set the Volume Level to 70 and the Restore Level to 35. Hit Next then hit Done.
Result when triggered is that beep is at 70, immediately followed by announcement at 35.

I am not using any send commands in the example above (only using the ES child app).

However, I can make the announcement work if I set up a rule in RM5.1 by 1) setting the setting the volume of the announcement and selecting the Echo announcement device, 2) putting in a delay, then 3) resetting the volume on the device. Although this workaround does work, I thought that this would work automatically if I just set the volume (level and restore level) in the child app.

Again, thanks for any help.

so I go to a device and used:

and it works correctly.

So let's start at the device commands, to see (what if anything) is working or not working....

In short, you are not providing an easy way to reproduce the problem, and if it is not reproduced, it is not likely to be fixed...

Thank you for your help. When set in the device commands, the settings for volume level and restore level works correctly. It is when I enter these values in the ES app that it does not work.

I’m sorry but I’m not sure how I could describe my situation any more clearly (please see my original post asking for help from 8 days ago). However, here are some additional screen shots. Hopefully this will help:

App List showing child apps:

Execution configuration info for first child app listed on previous screenshot:

Volume settings used to configure Execution Configuration:

When I trigger this child app, the beep is at 70, quickly followed by the actual announcement at 35. Hopefully these additional images will help to resolve the issue?
Thank you again for your patience and help!

@tonesto7

After updating to v4.2.0.2, I'm still seeing the same issue. My zones are not showing the correct set of echo devices. They are showing the old ones as shown in the previous screenshots.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

I have sent Tony some changes that I hope will address this. They appear to work in my tests, but I'm not 100% sure I have the settings you have

So the code is querying the devices in realtime - there is no caching that I can tell

For the devices in question that are different, can you open the device page for one or two of them and show parameters like this:

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 5.31.52 PM

I expect there is the difference there and what you see if you launch your Alexa app on your phone.

The Managed Devices: is using the names as written in Amazon's site.

the zones/actions are using the names you see in HE device (like my picture).

If you want you can make them more similar....

Since upgrading to 4.2.0.2 getting tons of these errors in the logs. Unaware of any problems in the functionality though. Looks like a specific device is throwing these every 30 minutes. If it matters, it's one of the oldest original models - tall plastic one.

dev:5692022-04-19 11:59:00.926 pm infoAwake was turned off

dev:3142022-04-19 11:50:33.845 pm infoFreezer: battery is 70%

dev:15572022-04-19 11:41:45.568 pm errorEcho (v4.2.0.2) | getPlaybackState | 400 Error | Msg: status code: 400, reason phrase: Bad Request

dev:15572022-04-19 11:11:45.543 pm errorEcho (v4.2.0.2) | getPlaybackState | 400 Error | Msg: status code: 400, reason phrase: Bad Request

dev:15572022-04-19 10:41:45.324 pm errorEcho (v4.2.0.2) | getPlaybackState | 400 Error | Msg: status code: 400, reason phrase: Bad Request

dev:15572022-04-19 10:11:45.323 pm errorEcho (v4.2.0.2) | getPlaybackState | 400 Error | Msg: status code: 400, reason phrase: Bad Request

dev:15572022-04-19 09:41:46.322 pm errorEcho (v4.2.0.2) | getPlaybackState | 400 Error | Msg: status code: 400, reason phrase: Bad Request

dev:3452022-04-19 09:30:12.066 pm infoLava Lamp Switch is off

dev:3452022-04-19 09:30:00.744 pm infoLava Lamp power is 0.000 W

dev:15572022-04-19 09:11:45.297 pm errorEcho (v4.2.0.2) | getPlaybackState | 400 Error | Msg: status code: 400, reason phrase: Bad Request

dev:1172022-04-19 09:10:25.903 pm infoSamsung Zigbee Button temperature is 69.41°F

dev:11212022-04-19 09:03:11.074 pm infoMaster Bedroom Table Lights was turned on [physical]

1 Like

Thank you @nh.schottfam. Hopefully @tonesto7 will be able to address this as it would negate my need to having extra volume control commands in each of my RM rules for each of my announcements. Thanks again for looking into this.

Apologies if this is duplicate, but I've been searching and trying for the last few hours and can't find a solution.

I'm trying to play a specific mp3 (stored already locally on HE) or play a file from my music library on amazon prime via echo and can't for the life of me get it to work.

Any ideas???