[RELEASE] DriveTime - Powered by Google Traffic

Well, the auto-start navigation link is easy (see v1.3.0). But I am skeptical that auto-replacement of the destination mid-navigation is doable, at least from the perspective of this driver. Maybe if you had webcore execute the navigation link upon replacement of the destination? Wonder if that would effectively do what you want?

1 Like

Good idea, and thanQ once again.

I think this could get messy. However, I guess there'd be a botch to flick a switch somewhere to notify via a dash if the new destination has moved more than a certain distance away from the older stored one. You'd then need to click the link to replan. That'd work. I guess this is a bit niche.

It's effectively a way to navigate to a moving target, efficiently.

Hmmmm.............

Hiya, it seems I am dragging others into this.

Apologies, I just think the possibilities for this are pretty prenominal, whilst (almost) using existing processes, combined to make something really cool.

Here's the links you may be interested in (?).

Summary

Variable url on the dash
Url on dashboard - #5 by Darren - SharpTools Community

Also, in relation to this:

I gave it a crack. it doesn't work unless you end the navigation and then start again, as it doesn't see the new destination. Fairly sure you could easily create a link which would automatically end the navigation if active before doing the clever bit you already have working. If so, then some webcore magic would be able to initiate the 'refreshed destination' under certain circumstances, i.e. if the proposed destination is actually remarkably different from the initial values. That's something that could easily be achived outside of your driver, even by someone like me with no coding skills whatsoever.

Hope this makes sense. It would be so cool to bring this all together using your idea here, linked to jpsh's sharptools idea (once hopefully completed as per the other thread), and lp's owntracks. Perfect combination of 3 awesome ideas, linked through webcore or RM to create something very, very clever with a useful child-tracking feature.

This would blow life360 away and bring this all into a grate little ecosystem.

Are you trying on android or iOS? See this re iOS

I'm using android.

*"... On Android, the Google Maps app goes straight into turn-by-turn navigation with directions to the destination... *"

True

*If Google Maps was already open with navigation to a different location, the previous navigation is automatically cancelled and navigation to the new destination is started, all without user input. *
This is exactly the behavior we want... "

Not true. But this would be desirable.

Not sure if something changed over the years.

Must have. Sorry. I don't see a way to do what you want, at least from this driver's perspective.

Cheers.

Is there a way to use the driver to exit nav? If so, I can fudge the rest =)

Not that I know of

1 Like

Well looks like there might be workarounds. I’ll see if I can’t add a stop nav link that uses one of these workarounds so you can try it.

1 Like

I added a stop nav link. But it doesn't work on my iPhone without requiring the user to tap to exit navigation. Not sure it's going to do what you want.

1 Like

I believe the iphones don't work the same way.

I've installed the update, but I don't see the stopNav.

Any ideas please? Thanks again.

-=edit=-

clicked configure - all good

I have this driver setup and polling map information successfully. This might be a silly question but how to make use of this? Is it a push to a device that is registered in Hubitat or is it text to speech over a speaker? Either way might someone possibly post logic they are using in rule machine plz?
Thanks

I display the route info on my dashboard, and send a push notification if the time in traffic delay exceeds a threshold

Might you be able to share your rule machine logic please :pray:? Is it possible to take the information of delay to destination and play it ove text to speech speaker ?

No, sorry, I use the built-in logic of MultiPlace, so no rule machine rules.