[RELEASE] Device Watchdog

New version on GitHub...

2.1.3 - 05/12/20 - Tightening up the code, new combo activity/battery report

It's all right on my GitHub, go into the Docs folder. Lots of great info in there. :wink:

"Each app does reach out to GitHub to retrieve the Header and Footer messages. The file, info.json, is located in the main directory. This file is openly available to anyone who would want to see what's in it. Simply click on it to view its contents."

Sorry, didn't think to check there. It's all good now that I added raw.githubusercontent.com to the blocklist on Pi-hole. This prevents HE from even trying to get out so the delay is gone and all's quite snappy now. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello,

I'm a relative newbie to Hubitat, and a newbie to your great contributed App.. So first of all - Thank-you.

This maybe my fault, but when I first installed the Device Watchdog App and ran it, it kept failing on line 672 complaining of a 'format' issue with a null pointer. I used the 'debug' option and tracked it down to the fact that the device created to receive the output of the Watchdog had no 'Last Activity', and so the Watchdog app would exit with the error when examining this particular device, and therefore never update the Last Activity on the device.

I managed to insert a piece of code to get around this, and it's working now. But as I said, it may have been down to how I installed the App in the first place.

Thank you again for your very useful App
cheers
Ron

• As stated many times, if your device doesn't have a 'Last Activity At' value, it can not be used with Device Watchdog.
  • Why would you want to 'watch' the data device created with DW? DW is to see if your 'real' devices are still working and communicating with HE.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and welcome to Hubitat! :grin:

1 Like

Ahh yes, my fault. I had blindly configured DW to monitor all devices, including the DW device itself - sorry.

1 Like

New version on GitHub...

2.1.4 - 05/12/20 - Minor fix for lastUpdated not found

Hi @bptworld
I've just updated to 2.1.4 and I'm afraid I'm now seeing 'null' in the last activity field.
I have enabled debugging but no errorsd are appearing in the logs.

New version on GitHub

@bptworld
Sorry to be a pain Bryan but now when I click on the DW child device it opens up hub watchdog.

Is starting to look like Bryan needs to pay you a QA engineer's salary. :wink:

2 Likes

WTF, fixed. Walking away now. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

:slight_smile: Sorry Bryan.....

2 Likes

Hi Bryan.
I use the status option of this app as a confidence check that things are working OK when I'm away.
Would it be at all possible to have a colour option for things like "on/off" or "open/closed" for example.
Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about.
Like I say, it would be a "nice to have" but if it is not an easy change or you feel it is not really a good use case, don't worry about.
Just thought I'd ask.
Thanks. :slight_smile:

Sure, that's an easy one. Just time involved. Added to the list. :grin:

1 Like

New version on Github...

Color Coding! Be sure to fill out the new section in the parent app and then go into the Status options in the child app.

Thanks

I LIKE it :+1: :+1: :smiley:

I hesitate to mention this because it's just a nit but I suggest you move the "Reports" section below the "Select The Report Type To Configure" section because the latter has to be done before the former. PLEASE just keep this as a todo, if at all! (Runs for cover...)

1 Like

Just installed and start learning your app, noticed a typo.

Thanks, fixed

Bryan -

Loving this utility - thanks for building it.

I'm using Combo-Activity-Battery Report as part of my Spruce Irrigation dashboard to check on Activity within the past 24 hours and the current battery levels for the 22 Spruce Sensors I have scattered around my yard.

I was wondering if you might consider adding a new Combo-Activity-Attribute report, where I could select the attribute I want reported instead of battery. In my use case, I'd like to show the humidity value instead of (or perhaps in addition to) battery - giving me a concise view of all my sensors in a single report.

Thanks for your consideration!