[RELEASE] Device Watchdog

Yes, use RM to toggle the 'Turn this switch On to run a new report'.

As Bruce has said many times... Rules are free!

Nope.

1 Like

Sorry, I don't understand the question

I thought that devices only appear here in this alert when they cant be contacted any more. Were they uncontactable at the time of the test? But they were earlier in the day?

Is this an 'Activity report'? If so what did you set the 'Number of hours for Devices to be considered inactive'?

Ah no! It was a status report. I've changed it to activity and set 12hrs. Thanks.

lol, that'll do it! Glad we got it figured out.

2 Likes

Newbie question as I'm really excited about this app.
Can you explain the differences here w.r.t. the different triggers?

I'm trying to figure out how I best can use this app to check to make sure all my devices are still alive as in the past some have just died on me without notice due to battery or zwave/zigbee disconnects and never returning. I'm hoping this app helps me identify that!

Edit: I think specifically I'm struggling to understand if I should be picking "Activity" or "Status" as the trigger to accurately see what devices are still healthy for me.

Thank you!
(I did a search in this thread but didn't see this question or answer, apologies if I missed something)

I 'm using this app but only for battery status. If you use Activity it will report how much time has passed since there was activity. If you use Status it will give you the date and time of the last activity. I currently use the Activity setting as it gives me a number since last contact with the hub. I have it scheduled to run every morning have it set to alert me if its over 10 hours. I also have a virtual button to press to get an instant update. I don't use the battery level as a trigger because I've had situations where batteries indicate a percentage which never gets updated because the device went offline and will never report another value even though the battery has died possibly because the unit was trying to reestablish connection with the hub but never did.

All three types of triggers are explained in the first post.

thanks

Thank you both. That is super clear now. Thank you!

What would someone need to do to send the reports to something other than a dashboard tile?

If it was sent/stored somewhere that's accessible to other apps, I'm thinking a Rule Machine rule could send it to another system using a custom HTTP POST, or it could be picked up by something like Sharptools to include in an e-mail?

Not sure how you'd start to go about doing this, but I'd take a stab if someone pointed me in the right direction!

You can view the report anytime in the app, in the virtual device, on a dashboard and/or sent to you in a push message.

The raw data isn't stored anywhere and is only used to create the reports. So there would be no way to access it through RM.

Hope this helps

Ok..maybe the virtual device will be a place to start...another question though: is the 25 device limit a limitation of the virtual device driver or the dashboard app?

25 devices displaying in the report is just a limitation that I put in place to keep the report manageable. If you have more than 25 devices showing up in a battery report, this app is the least of your worries. :wink:

I've just replaced my unreliable Samsung Zigbee Buttons with these from iblinds:

They don't seem to report in causing Device Watchdog to think that they are no longer active when they are still connected and fine.

I have one on a pedestrian gate so I created a nightly rule that activates the relay on the lock and then deactivates it again a few seconds later, this causes Device Watchdog to see the device as active so it then doesn't appear in the daily reports. However, I have one that turns on the gas fire...I don't really want to turn that on/off daily, any suggestions @bptworld ?

If the device doesn't check in then there would be no way for DW to track them, sorry.

I am experiencing a different than expected behavior with Watchdog. I have a child configured for active only on a single device. When I run the report, I do see the device in the report, because it was recently active. However I am not seeing my virtual switch device I have configured in the app get switched. If app is configured for active devices, I would have expected that if there is indeed activity data to report, it would have turned that virtual switch on.

Here is my Watchdog config:

When I run the device report, I do see data.

However, when this watchdog is fired based on the schedule, it appears to ignore the active only flag. See the logs below:

dev:4592020-02-11 08:40:00.458 am infoAqualink Updating Switch was turned off
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.350 am debugIn isThereData - Activity - 0
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.346 am debugIn isThereData...
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.343 am debug * * * * * * * * End test * * * * * * * *
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.325 am debug - - - - - End (S) Actuator - - - - -
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.322 am debugtest - Activity 1 - Characters: 198
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.312 am debugActuator - mySensors: Pool Filter Pump Watts last checked in 0h 0m ago.
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.304 am debugmySensors: Pool Filter Pump Watts hourDiff: 0 vs timeAllowed: 1
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.301 am debugmySensors: Pool Filter Pump Watts hour: 0 min: 0
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.283 am debugWorking on: Pool Filter Pump Watts 0
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.265 am debugIn mySensorHandler - [Pool Filter Pump Watts:2020-02-11 08:39:51.11]}
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.258 am debugWorking on - Pool Filter Pump Watts - 2020-02-11 08:39:51.11
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.250 am debugIn mySensorHandler - [Pool Filter Pump Watts]
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.239 am debug - - - - - Start (S) Actuator - - - - -
app:3662020-02-11 08:40:00.230 am debug * * * * * * * * Starting test * * * * * * * *

Is this expected? Do I need to always assume the switch represents inactive devices only, regardless of the flag in watchdog?

Thank You

Interesting. While I only have one button, it has been super reliable.

2 Likes

I'll take a look into this soon.

Check Devices This Time Daily - Question?

Can anyone explain the significance of the above parameter?

If I take it literally then:

Setting the "Number of hours for Devices to be considered inactive*" to 12 is meaningless. I doubt this is actually the case. Still I can't grasp the checking / reporting timing.

Thanks

John