[RELEASE] DarkSky.net Weather Driver, no PWS Required

one last question. I went thru all the settings, clicked on "motile" and "weather summary" to see what it looked like on the dash and wasn't a fan, Just the "threedayforcast" im keeping. So I went back in and toggled all the things im not using off, because why have them on then. Clicked refresh on my device page and I still have all the things that were toggled on in my "current status". Do they disappear after a bit so I don't have to scroll thru 3 pages of info?

They will stay and they will not change. "Current States" is just storage for items the driver feels is important. Once allocated, they don't go away without the driver removing them. Therefore the simplest way is to simply recreate the device limiting yourself to just your minimum.

1 Like

See this post #32 in this thread:

Maybe the App could be improved to manage no-longer needed attributes better by simply removing all attributes and re-applying only the currently selected ones when the prefs are saved. This would avoid the rather ugly method of removing the whole App and re-create it to only get the attributes you want.

1 Like

The issue is not specific to this driver (it is NOT an 'App'). All drivers have the same issue. Happy to listen to any constructive ideas on how to correct this as previously stated:

"I wish there was a better solution ..... but I have not been able to find it. If anyone has ideas ..... please share."

I don't know how to accomplish what you are suggesting without platform changes. Please share the specifics on how you believe this could be accomplished and myself and many others would be grateful for that contribution. Thanks.

1 Like

Have you tried state.remove() and state.clear() ?

"state" is the items in the list on the left:

41%20AM

The list on the right are the result of sendEvent()

sendEvent(name: "illuminance", value: getDataValue("illuminance").toInteger(), unit: 'lx')

2 Likes

Thanks, @Matthew. I don't see a feelsLike attribute. I do have the Display All Optional Attributes on and I see a lot of different attributes but not feelsLike. Is it perhaps called something else?

"feelsLike" is a permanent attribute.. not selectable. There's about a dozen that can't be optional, or shouldn't be...

In the "can't be" category are all the attributes associated with a Capability. Each Capability has a set of attributes as detailed in Hubitat's documentation: Driver Capability List - Hubitat Documentation

In the "shouldn't be" category are all the attributes that are related somehow. Hubitat's weather tile for Dashboard would be an example. The 4-5 values displayed should all be on or off as a single selector... and in some cases, there's no situation where at least one is selected, therefore all are selected -- which reduces down to no selector for those related attributes.

Thanks for clarifying that. So is there not a method to purge or clear out old entries on the right from events?

Not at this time, and I know of no platform update to 'fix that'.

But actually, that's the least of the problems...

I looked once at Events for the APIXU driver and it took more than a minute to load.. When it did display, it said there were 56,000 entries. That convinced me that the DB was getting 'hammered' by the total number of attributes. I made two changes to reduce that: 1) eliminate "isStateChange: ", which was defaulted to "true". 2) created the "selector system". The combination reduced the DB (for me) by 10x.

That was integrated into this driver by @matthew and the benefits are still accruing (for me.)

Therefore, recreating the Device using the minimum, also purges your DB of that history of events. That's where the real benefit comes in.. the Device Info page is just icing :smiley:

4 Likes

My apologies. I was going off of my own faulty memory. You are correct that there is no option for 'feelsLike.' Right now it will only be updated if you select the SharpTools.io or the SmartTiles dashboard options. I will push out a correction that publishes 'feelsLike' at all times to correct this. Until I make that happen ... you could select either the SharpTools.io or the SmartTiles Dashboard optional attributes to force feelsLike to be updated.

That's a perfectly good solution for me. I'm getting a usable value now. Thanks!

[UPDATED]
V1.2.8
11/11/2019

• Corrected that 'feelsLike' was not being updated unless one of the optional dashboard selections was made.
1 Like

I used to have a custom action to poll the device to update the weather when I wanted. Now I don't see the Darksky driver appearing anymore under the devices listed for Actuators. What to do?

It shows up under the temperature capability.

1 Like

Any way to make it so when you click on one of the weather tile it goes full screen and when you click it again it goes back to normal?

No. That would be feature request for new dashboard functionality.

Thank you! Found it!

1 Like

Hi Mattew, thank you for all your effort. I wanted to ask how I can add more "info" to the dashboard tile. I have selected Weather, then I have tried Attribute and selected weather, it just shows Clear. Then I select weather and weather and it show about 4 to 5 items. Also my weather icons are not working, I have this for alternate icon location GitHub - Scottma61/WeatherIcons: WeatherIcons for Hubitat Drivers.
thanks