[RELEASE] DarkSky.net Weather Driver, no PWS Required

Excellent .... thanks for your patience and testing.

1 Like

No...THANK YOU for this driver.
Really like it!!!

2 Likes

Maybe I'm being an idiot this morning, But My tile and most of the optional attributes do not show up as an option under the attribute template.
I installed your code under drivers and I can see all the info under the Virtual Device and I added my Darksky API.
In my dashboard I created a tile. Chose the darksky as my device. Under History for the tile, I can see "My Tile" and everything. But under Attributes I only have a limited amount of choices.

Hmmmm. I'm seeing the same thing.

Same with me - none of the optional attributes are listed when making a tile in a HE dashboard

[UPDATED] V1.0.2 09/14/2019
EDIT @ 11:46 EDT - Corrected Import URL (Thank you @csteele!)

• some minor bug fixes
  • Made changes to Attributes. Attributes should now be available for dashboards. CAUTION - READ BELOW

ATTRIBUTES CAUTION
The way the 'optional' attributes work:

• Initially, only the optional attributes selected will show under 'Current States' and will be available in dashboards.
  • Once an attribute has been selected it too will show under 'Current States' and be available in dashboards.
    <*** HOWEVER ***> If you ever de-select the optional attribute, it will still show under 'Current States' and will still show as an attribute for dashboards BUT IT'S DATA WILL NO LONGER BE REFRESHED WITH DATA POLLS. This means what is shown on the 'Current States' and dashboard tiles for de-selected attributes may not be current valid data.
  • To my knowledge, the only way to remove the de-selected attribute from 'Current States' and not show it as available in the dashboard is to delete the virtual device and create a new one AND DO NOT SELECT the attribute you do not want to show.

I wish there was a better solution ..... but I have not been able to find it. If anyone has ideas ..... please share.

1 Like

This works. I can see and choose now. Thanks

The only other thing is about My Tile. There is a little tiny icon next to wind, pressure, sunrise etc...
If i am under devices and choose one of the other icons to open in new tab, it does. These tiny ones say "blocked" if I try it.

from the first post:
You should copy the contents of my github weatherIcons repository (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Scottma61/WeatherIcons/master/ ) to your own location. It contains the DeviateArt Icon collection used as the 'Alternative' icons plus a few other small icons used in the 'myTile' attribute. There is no assuarance I will keep these files available in my github, so copy to a location you will be able to access. Once you do, update the driver with that location so it can find them.

I tried that. I have them in a directory on my computer and have the device pointing to that location.
Maybe they have to be online instead?

presumably it would need to be a web server.

I don't have a home server, just my desktop.
Could they go into my google cloud or is there a better option?
Do I need to create my own github account?

Ill leave it to the dev to respond on what is the best option.

Im having trouble getting any icons to show up in the dashboard weather template. The system openweather driver returns codes for weatherIcons, and these show up just fine in the tile.

image image

Your driver seems to be returning a condition string (eg sunny) for weatherIcons, so perhaps that's why they dont show in the dashboard template? I have selected condition icon to be current, and icons from is set to On for standard.

Also wind speed and direction dont seem to be showing, I do have wind direction selected. Perhaps the names need to match, eg the system driver uses windSpeed and windDirection, whereas your driver seems to use wind and wind_degree.

One github is the same as any other.. why not use "his" github?

You CAN create your own, then put exactly the same as "his" into yours (fork/clone) and then?? what's the benefit? If you're going to use your own library of images, then yes, create your own "storage site" -- be that github or AWS :slight_smile:

[UPDATED] V1.0.3 09/14/2019

• Added 'windSpeed' and 'windDirection', required by some dashboards.

@m.a.biglin
I have them on a local network NAS and reference that (http://NAS name/WeatherIcon path/). As long as github doesn't care, I have no plans for move or delete the icons on my github .... just thought I should provide a warning in case I lose that option. I have on idea why you may be getting a 'blocked' message on the myTile icons? They are all in the same directory. The were copied into that location at a different time. I did not set any special permissions on them.

I added 'windSpeed' and 'windDirection', required by some dashboards. I changed 'weather' from condition_text (e.g. 'Partly Cloudy') to condition_code (e.g. 'partlycloudy'), so it is the same as weatherIcon now.

Two things here: 1) in your post the attribute is 'weatherIcons' (it has a trailing 's'); and 2) I have no idea where values for that attribute come from. I could add the 'weatherIcons' if I had a way to populate that with appropriate values, and I don't know what those may be? You mention these may be openWeather tiles ... I have never used openWeather and the DarkSky may not work with those unless someone can map a DarkSky attribute to the openWeather source (or whatever the expected source is).

OK, Icons are now working.
My problem with them seemed to be the location link.
When I clicked on your link in an earlier post (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Scottma61/WeatherIcons/master/), it said "invalid request" so I just followed the link for your driver code and went up a directory or 2 and found your weather icon folder and used the link from that page. (GitHub - Scottma61/WeatherIcons: WeatherIcons for Hubitat Drivers)
I copied and pasted the 1st link into the alternative location and it now works.
Thank You

P.S.
I have absolutely no programming knowledge so I've never done more than download an occasional thing from github. I have no idea how or where you got the "Raw" link for that page. Guess I'll have to do some reading and maybe create an account there. Gotta figure out fork/clone etc...
That way I can make a backup of the drivers i'm using, for myself

1 Like

Glad you got it to work!

Here is the OpenWeatherMap documentation for weather icons, I guess thats what the system driver and tile are using.

https://openweathermap.org/weather-conditions

I don't intend to be pedantic.. but I do like tossing out knowledge I 'earned' :slight_smile:

The Dashboard Weather Template uses Attribute Names that match what's defined within Hubitat's OpenWeatherMap driver. In other words, the Driver can read in OpenWeather's "wind.speed" key:value pair, and then translate that into an Attribute Name of "theWindIs"

They don't, but rather than looking at what OpenWeatherMap generates, just use the spelling found by creating a device for that driver:

32%20PM

Also has the benefit of hinting at the casting :slight_smile: