[RELEASE] BigTalker 2.1.0

RELEASE - BigTalker 2.1.0
(Update both parent and child apps. Be sure to launch Configure Defaults in the parent app at least once).
The change list between the parent and child app is too large to cover everything. Update both parent and child. Below is a majority summary of the changes.

Parent App Link

Child App Link

• Correct huge issue for new installs (app may not have worked properly until a child-app was installed and then later edited. Child-app was not initializing and subscribing to desired events. Added these calls to installed().
  • Add subscription to location mode changes. Call unsubscribe() and then subscribe() when initialized, updated or Configure Defaults page is loaded.
  • Resolve null app.label bug in LOGDEBUG(), LOGTRACE(), LOGERROR() that occurs sometimes when called from the child app.
  • Maintain "mode" / "lastMode" state in the parent app.
  • Attempt to resolve MusicPlayer/Sonos issues (more coming on this with device fingerprinting to allow for specific device calls)
  • Device fingerprinting by discovered supported command/attributes (need fingerprint data for Sonos and others that do not work as expected with the playTrack method (unmute, setVolume/Level, playTrack, setVolume/Level, resume/restoreTrack)
  • Adds support for musicPlayer voice "Matthew(en-us)"
  • Corrects issue with configuring Presence sensors.
  • Corrected volume detection in Hubitat
  • Remove unused status page information (code size reduction)
  • Add additional weather debug data
  • Added setting formatting (primary settings are dark blue, optional/non-primary settings are light blue)
  • Prefix logs with "BIGTALKER2-CHILD"
  • Correct debug log for selected voice in sendTalk()
  • TalkNow additional null checks for speechSynthesis mode
  • Send phrase to final speech functions (playTrackAnd...) for EchoSpeaks usage (EchoSpeaks doesn't support sending mp3 URI's)
  • Correct Parent/Child Mode/LastMode issue (correct "Home mode has changed from Home to Home")
  • Correct Presence event groups
  • Code cleanup

2 Likes

Does not work at all.
Unexpected error when go into Parent "Talk Now" and "Status"

Unfornutately I had to stop using this app as it's so broken it's not worth the debugging effort anymore. Should have just stayed with the original port which did work.

I switched to the built-in Notification App now.

I'm on the dev build but I'm not having any problems with this app at all.

1 Like

Sorry, The Status page was removed, but obviously the button/link directing you to it wasn't. Until the next release, please just don't click on Status. It doesn't do anything.

The "Talk Now" page is working for me so I'll have to see if I can find code on the Samsung R1 speaker that it appears that you are using. Did you install driver code from somewhere for this? If so, can you point me to it?

Also, if you do not mind

1. Please go to the "Configure Defaults" page in the parent app
  2. Toggle Debug Logging to ON then hit Done
  3. Open the Hubitat Logs page and try Talk Now again.
    This should produce additional logs. You can then click on BigTalker2-Parent-DEV to filter the logs to just those produced in the BT2 parent app.

1 Like

I've hacked away at this as much as I can tonight. I'm going out of town and will check on it again next week.

Basically, it appears the Samsung R1 driver is not returning "Status" (playing, paused, stopped) as a component of it's "trackData", but other trackData values are returned. I'll need add tochecks/adjustments to account for this to deal with it properly.

Every version of BigTalker is available on Github. If you were happy with a version, you can keep it/use it but a newer version may have bug fixes for it that will not be back ported to the older version. Go to GitHub, Choose the branch (master (Smartthings releases), development (SmartThings releases), Hubitat, Hubitat-Dev, etc), click commits, find the older version you want, click the <> icon to navigate to the code for that version.

I have recently discovered that various devices support varying function calls to functions of the same name(playTrack, playTrackAndRestore, etc). This was unexpected. The recent release adds debug logging for fingerprinting to help match these to issues reported. I would like to identify supported functions and take action based on that data. Most of my feedback has been for Sonos devices so that is where most bug smashing has been focused. If you have something else that doesn't respond as expected then without the data, I can't try to make it better for you. Sorry you've had trouble. I'm happy that you have found something that works for you.

1 Like

Is there anyway to use Pushover as a trigger device? An example usage is having a text announcement based on the Pushover notification alert. This would allow me to set up sophisticated notifications such as Gmail alerts etc.

@rayzurbock I am having a problem with %weathercurrent% not working in Time group. %weathertomorrow% however has no problems.

I get a error that the token can't be parsed or something close to that.

When I go to the Phrase token page under that group no %weather% weather tokens are even listed.

What version of the BigTalker parent and child app are you on?
I just tested on Parent 2.1.2.1 and Child 2.1.2.0 and it spoke the %weathercurrent% at the scheduled time. This uses weather.gov's API so it only supports US coordinates based on your hubs latitude/longitude.

I see that the "Available Phrase Tokens" are restricting the weather commands to SmartThings hubs only. I'll get that fixed.

You can search your logs (when Debug Logging is on) and look for
DEBUG wxURI2 in the Parent BT2 app.

Copy the URL after that line, paste it into a browser. "Current Weather" will be under "Periods" and then period 1. See what your browser shows as it may give us insight into what is happening.

PMed you

I can manually speak the phrase but it won't work in automation's.

If I have VLC configured on my computer and can access it with other devices (e.g. my phone), can BigTalker work with it directly? So far, I can't get BT to see the VLC instance. Is there a way to specify the IP address and port I am using for VLC? If there is, I don't see it.

When you installed BigTalker, you had to choose musicPlayer or SpeechSynthesis mode (it was an on/off toggle). You can change by going to Configure Defaults then Advanced. Choose the opposite mode than what it is in now.

I tried both and it did not pick up VLC.

You have to install the 3rd party driver in Hubitat and configure it with the IP, password, etc. Lookup VLCThing

I'm having a bit of trouble doing so. I am getting an error message when I try to save it.

"Cannot invoke method currentValue() on null object"

Edit: I scrolled down and saw the later posted version. I just tried that one and it saved okay.

Feature request...

Support Valve !!!!

What is Valve? A speech device? Bigtalker isn't device specific, it just needs the device to have a Hubitat driver the supports speechSynthesis and/or musicPlayer capabilities.

A capability?

1 Like

I think you mean this capability:
This can be added. @anon61068208 What version of BigTalker parent and child apps are you on?

Valve

Device Selector

capability.valve

Driver Definition

capability "Valve"

Attributes

valve - ENUM ["open", "closed"]

Commands

close()

open()

1 Like