[RELEASE] BigTalker 2.1.0

I could code it in myself but I think it needs to be added in by you.

BTW did you fix the missing phrase tokens ? I did in my code....

%weathercurrent% = Current weather based on hub location
%weathercurrent(00000)% = Current weather* based on custom zipcode (replace 00000)
%weathertoday% = Today's weather forecast* based on hub location
%weathertoday(00000)% = Today's weather forecast* based on custom zipcode (replace 00000)
%weathertonight% = Tonight's weather forecast* based on hub location
%weathertonight(00000)% = Tonight's weather* forecast based on custom zipcode (replace 00000)
%weathertomorrow% = Tomorrow's weather forecast* based on hub location
%weathertomorrow(00000)% = Tomorrow's weather forecast* based on custom zipcode (replace 00000)
*Weather forecasts provided by Weather Underground

Not yet. It's to be done though.
I work in a school district IT dept and it's our busiest time of year. I get home burned out from coding and logic processing. I'll get it implemented as soon as possible.

Want my changes ? All you have to do then is just copy/paste.

Or I can just upload into my git repo and i can do a pull

1 Like

I've added the %weather*% tokens and the valve capability and messaged you privately for initial testing in the DEV branch.
I do welcome pull requests / help coding!

1 Like

Cool. I'll test this after dinner !

A couple of feature requests:

1. The ability to play an MP3, and text-to-speech in the same message. Would need a delay variable so they don't play over each other probably (something like %delay=3000ms%) As an example "%mp3=http://x.x.x.x/startrekdoorbell.mp3% %delay=1000ms% Front door opened."
  2. The ability to check the status of a switch before playing the audio. I have a chime setting on my alarm system. I change a virtual output on the alarm based on the chime status. In rule machine, I say something like "If chime status on, then speak whatever". This way I can choose what alerts always get spoken (like water alerts), and which ones are silenced when the chime is off (like doors opening and closing).

You can plat mp3's already

Not ALL devices can do this..

I know. I want to play an mp3, and then play some TTS message right after.

Specifically requires devices of the musicPlayer capability and that support mp3 playback in their Hubitat driver.

Based on a action/trigger or time ? Both can be accomplished but not both with bigtalker.

With TIME you can use schedules.

Configure talk at specific time
Schedule 1

And I believe I saw RM can now do mp3.

Based on a trigger, like a door is opened. I can do this today in Rule Machine, but it's a lot of work to set up for each and every voice alert. Too much pointing and clicking to generate every single line, it takes forever. I have to make the conditions, select devices, make the if-then-else statement, the AND statement to check if the chime is on or off, make the statement to play the mp3, make a delay, make the TTS string, etc. It's like 5 clicks for every one of these. And if I mess one of these up, it's hit or miss whether I will have to delete the whole rule and start over, or if I can fix it.

I feel that....

I don't have a playable music device or I would attempt to code it unless you or someone else wants to donate a Sonos to me........

Valves (off) (on) now work. Just waiting for @rayzurbock to make the release ! Just awesome because I deleted 12 rules I had to make in RM for this one hour code addition.

1 Like

It's in the Hubitat Dev branch on GitHub for anyone that wants to test it. There may be lots of "null" text until you open things up and hit done.

If anyone wants to test a beta/dev release,

If you experience issues, please go to the BigTalker parent app > Configure Defaults and toggle Debug Logging ON (if it's on, turn it off and back on), Open logs in another tab, produce the issue, copy/paste the logs and send to me in a PM.

1 Like

Hi there, Is it possible to get Big Talker working with an Amazon Echo Dot that is on the same network?

Only if you have it added as a device using Echo Speaks or Alexa TTS apps.

1 Like

@rayzurbock app is back to not speaking weather again...

Hubitat: Sorry, there was a problem processing your desired BigTalker phrase token.

BIGTALKER2-CHILD WEATHER parent.Talk(app=Me,customdevice=[Pushover Connect, Bathroom Tablet, Join Cell, Join Living Room, AlexaTTS Patio Dot, Join Office],volume=null,resume=null,personality=No,voice=null,evt=[displayName:Big Talker Test, name:TimeSlotTime1Test, value:Time1],phrase=%weathercurrent%)

See what is being returned by the weather.gov API.
Visit https://api.weather.gov/points/yourlatitude,yourlongitude (replace yourlatitude,yourlongitude with your actual coordinates)
Scroll down to Properties and copy the URL next to Forecast.
Paste that URL into your browser and browse to it.
See what is show under Properties, then Periods for the expected period. Current = Period 1. Specifically look at detailedForecast.
That is what should be spoken when you call for %weathercurrent%, etc.

@rayzurbock I just noticed we never merged the DEV code into the main branch. I realized that after I saw I was missing a few things we had debugged and checked to make the code was working... valve was one of the new additions. Think you can merge that into the main branch now ?